Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* - - - - 2 votes

Does the name Jesus make you mad? Why ?

religios vocabulary

  • Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#91    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 October 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

When you watch  trick  by people such as Dynamo...

Walk on water..




Walks down a building..



And many more like it - Levitation, walking through glass etc etc..

If he was back in the times of Jesus,  I am willing to bet that many would think he was from god  or gods son too...

My point is.. I think that if this Jesus was real, he may have been the Dynamo of his day and a few of the stories exaggerated from tales past around...

It's worthy of note that the miracles of the other "prophets" of Jesus' time were a little flashier; some of them were claimed to have flown around Jerusalem. Sorry Jesus, but that's slightly more impressive miracle than the "water-walking" parlour trick... in my books it is, anyway.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#92    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:08 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:



Unfortunately, scripture hasn't proven itself to qualify as documentation; it hasn't given us anything to set it apart from fiction. That's what I meant. No official records of his trial and execution, no census records, nothing. That's what I meant.

Trial records? Consensus records? Do you have such evidence for other figures at that time?

My point is not that the scripture is proof of his existence, but in corroboration with aural traditions, regional traditions, with global references and other scriptural references about him, relay information about a person allegedly existing, you dismiss the entire corpus because the scripture has not been proven, proven or verified in what way?

You seek documented evidence about a Jew from non Jew and non Christian sources at the expense of the latter two sources.

The Jewish Talmud refers to him, the Talmud is a rabbinic commentary on the Torah, and other Jewish legal, historical, spiritual aspects, they refer to him, not in a nice way, but still refer to him. The Talmud was always evolving even during his time.

So basically being selective about evidence is disingenuous in my humble opinion.


#93    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:



It's worthy of note that the miracles of the other "prophets" of Jesus' time were a little flashier; some of them were claimed to have flown around Jerusalem. Sorry Jesus, but that's slightly more impressive miracle than the "water-walking" parlour trick... in my books it is, anyway.

Walking on water was not like dynamo I believe I think one should read it fully understand the context. Raising the dead, healing the blind etc, feeding 100s with hardly anything etc etc etc. Miracles are miracles, but they have no bearing on his existence.

Ps magic and illusions were widely known at the time and practised by people then and before.....miracles of prophet were miles apart from trickery and illusions.


#94    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

It's worthy of note that the miracles of the other "prophets" of Jesus' time were a little flashier; some of them were claimed to have flown around Jerusalem. Sorry Jesus, but that's slightly more impressive miracle than the "water-walking" parlour trick... in my books it is, anyway.

There was another man that was around the same time as Jesus  ( saw this in a documentary a while ago )  I think his name was Stephen?  Anyway , he started doing tricks and one of them was levitation...When Peter and other followers of Jesus saw him preform those tricks, they stoned him to the ground as if to say - Don't you dare try and steal Jesus's spotlight...!!!

Another story that is rather recent  - A young toddler  ( aged 3 )  in China  ( or some place close )  could bless bottled water and his parents and friends of the family were convincing the crowds he was like a spiritual healer, and when the locasl drank the water, they all claimed it cured them...  I believe that to be the mind over body trick...

Are you a fan of House?..   One of the episodes  had a man who lost one of his arms in a war, it blew off as he was griping someone or other...   For 36 years after the accident, he still felt the pain of his fist clenched, even though his hand was gone, he still felt pain...   Dr Gregory House   strapped the man to a chair... He placed a box in front of him, and a mirror inside..  He had a hole cut on the outside of the box, big enough for the man's arm to fit through.    House tells the man to put his arm through the hole of the box...

When the man put his arm through the hole of the box,  House then told him to hold it out in front of the mirror ( so it would show a reflection and look as if he is looking at both arms and hands ) ...He then asked him to straighten his hand out flat looking into the mirror at the same time...   The man does this ..Within seconds,  tears fell from the man's face and he looks to House saying.. For the first time in 36 years, he no longer feels the pain from his missing hand..........   The mind truly is that powerful

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#95    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

Trial records? Consensus records? Do you have such evidence for other figures at that time?

My point is not that the scripture is proof of his existence, but in corroboration with aural traditions, regional traditions, with global references and other scriptural references about him, relay information about a person allegedly existing, you dismiss the entire corpus because the scripture has not been proven, proven or verified in what way?

You seek documented evidence about a Jew from non Jew and non Christian sources at the expense of the latter two sources.

The Jewish Talmud refers to him, the Talmud is a rabbinic commentary on the Torah, and other Jewish legal, historical, spiritual aspects, they refer to him, not in a nice way, but still refer to him. The Talmud was always evolving even during his time.

So basically being selective about evidence is disingenuous in my humble opinion.

I said contemporaneous. Of course the Talmud refers to him; centuries after he is alleged to have lived. Ergo: not evidence of his existence. The Romans kept very meticulous records of trial proceedings and census records of the populous; true, not all of these survive today, but nonetheless, my point was that Jesus is not recorded in any documents of the time. Scripture and oral tradition are stories; inseparable from fiction unless documentation showed otherwise, which, again, it does not.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#96    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

Walking on water was not like dynamo I believe I think one should read it fully understand the context. Raising the dead, healing the blind etc, feeding 100s with hardly anything etc etc etc. Miracles are miracles, but they have no bearing on his existence.

Ps magic and illusions were widely known at the time and practised by people then and before.....miracles of prophet were miles apart from trickery and illusions.

The difference was that people at the time had a notorious difficulty telling the difference between illusion and "miracle". In any case, you are correct, these things have no bearing on the existence/non-existence of Jesus. To continue a familiar theme: no contemporaneous documentation exists to demonstrate that (whether supernatural or illusion) Jesus' purported "miracles" ever happened.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#97    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 October 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

There was another man that was around the same time as Jesus  ( saw this in a documentary a while ago )  I think his name was Stephen?  Anyway , he started doing tricks and one of them was levitation...When Peter and other followers of Jesus saw him preform those tricks, they stoned him to the ground as if to say - Don't you dare try and steal Jesus's spotlight...!!!

Another story that is rather recent  - A young toddler  ( aged 3 )  in China  ( or some place close )  could bless bottled water and his parents and friends of the family were convincing the crowds he was like a spiritual healer, and when the locasl drank the water, they all claimed it cured them...  I believe that to be the mind over body trick...

Are you a fan of House?..   One of the episodes  had a man who lost one of his arms in a war, it blew off as he was griping someone or other...   For 36 years after the accident, he still felt the pain of his fist clenched, even though his hand was gone, he still felt pain...   Dr Gregory House   strapped the man to a chair... He placed a box in front of him, and a mirror inside..  He had a hole cut on the outside of the box, big enough for the man's arm to fit through. House tells the man to put his arm through the hole of the box...

When the man put his arm through the hole of the box,  House then told him to hold it out in front of the mirror ( so it would show a reflection and look as if he is looking at both arms and hands ) ...He then asked him to straighten his hand out flat looking into the mirror at the same time...   The man does this ..Within seconds,  tears fell from the man's face and he looks to House saying.. For the first time in 36 years, he no longer feels the pain from his missing hand..........   The mind truly is that powerful

Indeed. I admit I chuckled a bit at the implications of that first paragraph... "Jesus can do miracles by the power of God... obviously... but that Stephen guy levitating?! Blasphemy!"

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#98    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Indeed. I admit I chuckled a bit at the implications of that first paragraph... "Jesus can do miracles by the power of God... obviously... but that Stephen guy levitating?! Blasphemy!"

That exactly what the crowds condemned Jesus for - Blasphemy.. They claimed he must have been from the evil spirits.. ( unclean spirits ) ...   The bible itself condemns all magic tricks, claiming them to be tricks of satan :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 October 2012 - 02:57 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#99    Dash--

Dash--

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined:13 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Around

  • I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 14 October 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

There was another man that was around the same time as Jesus  ( saw this in a documentary a while ago )  I think his name was Stephen?  Anyway , he started doing tricks and one of them was levitation...When Peter and other followers of Jesus saw him preform those tricks, they stoned him to the ground as if to say - Don't you dare try and steal Jesus's spotlight...!!!


Simon Magus.(Think that's who your talking about)

Wisdom is not a product of schooling,but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.
A.Einstein

We live in a sunlit world of what we believe to be reality,but...

#100    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:

The difference was that people at the time had a notorious difficulty telling the difference between illusion and "miracle".

Correct you are..  You forgot to mention that  many people  in today's world   can't tell the difference either..   If anyone  tries to say - Oh but people all know the difference, then they obviously have taken a narrow view and they must think everyone  is in the know and  all agree with the same idea ... I  know that it is not like that.. I have met people who cannot tell the difference... I used to think they were kidding around, but shockingly, they were serious !!!

You also have many of those desperate to convince you that miracles  are real that they will gladly  deny other possible  answers Put it this way.. If you were clinging to religion tightly and you believed all you read, there is no way in hell you will listen to any other logical ideas and possible answers from anyone.. In fact,  you may get on your high horse and rant, argue and   LOL  at any logical reasoning... Denial and clinging to one side  will do that to so many..  Humans are weird creatures   lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 14 October 2012 - 02:56 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#101    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

View PostDash--, on 14 October 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Simon Magus.(Think that's who your talking about)

Simon?  Hmm ok well it began with an S   lol... Thank you for helping with the name.. It was long ago when I watched it...I just could not recall his name

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#102    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:



I said contemporaneous. Of course the Talmud refers to him; centuries after he is alleged to have lived. Ergo: not evidence of his existence. The Romans kept very meticulous records of trial proceedings and census records of the populous; true, not all of these survive today, but nonetheless, my point was that Jesus is not recorded in any documents of the time. Scripture and oral tradition are stories; inseparable from fiction unless documentation showed otherwise, which, again, it does not.

The Talmud was a running commentary on the Torah even during his lifetime, it was always being edited and updated. Even Jesus enemies have mentioned him. Roman records are not available cause they did not survive. Yet dismiss scripture and everything else because you don't have trial records and consensus records.....not very academic but rather selective. You dismiss verbal traditions because they might be fiction, hence conspired to build a myth. You totally dismiss the fact even if a 1000 people refered to him a century later based on verbal traditions, that they would all have to have conspired and if so, it's down to you to substantiate it. Hence why it's likely he did exist in some form or another.

I'm not proving his existence or disproving it, I'm just pointing out the baggage and the selective use or demand for evidence.

The myth of aural traditions being like Chinese whispers is a misguided and incorrect stance, it only illustrates the lack knowledge on information passed verbally. For example where are the records showing jesus's trial yet you have verbal traditions about it, which lasted the written document or the verbal tradition amongst a people known to pass knowledge etc via both written and aural traditions.


#103    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostArbitran, on 14 October 2012 - 02:30 AM, said:



The difference was that people at the time had a notorious difficulty telling the difference between illusion and "miracle".

how do you substantiate this claim, you have no proof for such claims. It's simply your opinion that they could not, it's not fact.




#104    Arbitran

Arbitran

    Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:13 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

The Talmud was a running commentary on the Torah even during his lifetime, it was always being edited and updated.

I am aware. However, it is known very well when particular sections of the Talmud were added, subtracted, or edited. The reference to Jesus is from many centuries after his death (and yes, I do think that Jesus existed; I'm merely noting that there is no concrete evidence of this).

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

Even Jesus enemies have mentioned him. Roman records are not available cause they did not survive. Yet dismiss scripture and everything else because you don't have trial records and consensus records.....not very academic but rather selective.

I select documentation and objective evidence over legend and folklore, if that's what you mean.

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

You dismiss verbal traditions because they might be fiction, hence conspired to build a myth. You totally dismiss the fact even if a 1000 people refered to him a century later based on verbal traditions, that they would all have to have conspired and if so, it's down to you to substantiate it. Hence why it's likely he did exist in some form or another.

They would not have to have conspired at all. It has long been told that Columbus discovered the New World; this is known to be a falsehood. And yet, oral tradition and stories were passed down which claimed this, and some of us still believe it today. This is not the result of conspiracy; simply of exaggeration and misunderstanding (among other factors).

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

I'm not proving his existence or disproving it, I'm just pointing out the baggage and the selective use or demand for evidence.

Yes, I will demand evidence; reliable, documentary evidence being objectively preferable to hearsay and folklore.

View PostLion6969, on 14 October 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

The myth of aural traditions being like Chinese whispers is a misguided and incorrect stance, it only illustrates the lack knowledge on information passed verbally. For example where are the records showing jesus's trial yet you have verbal traditions about it, which lasted the written document or the verbal tradition amongst a people known to pass knowledge etc via both written and aural traditions.

I made no claim that the legends of Jesus are the result of Chinese Whispers (although this cannot be ruled out). I have simply noted that oral tradition and hearsay are not nearly as evidentially robust and useful as documentary evidence; a man called Hercules might have existed at one time, but the tales of his having been the son of a god, his heroic battles against vicious monsters, and his supernatural powers are more than likely exaggerations and later interpolations: additions to the legend as it grew over time. The same is with Jesus. Such a man may or may not have existed (the name, Y.H.S.W.A, passed from Greek and Latin to us as "Jesus", means "saviour"; a suspicious name, given that is his effective role in the stories, leading to the possibility that the character was invented to fill this role in the story); but whether or not a man named Jesus ever lived, or led a life bearing any resemblance to the one described in the stories of Jesus of Nazareth, the likelihood of his having performed feats of magic, risen from the dead, and ascended into the sky is virtually zero.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#105    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 13,974 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostVatic, on 10 October 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Let's just face it. The name Jesus is a synonym for the challenge to face PERSONAL ISSUES... This is why eveyone who is upset at the name is really upset. They are afraid of what the name inplies and the ramifications behind that name, Fear is masked as anger. At the root of it is personal issues contrary to Jesus, and all the excuses people offer are just facades:

Facade: No proof he existed.
Facade: He must be something other than people think he is:
Facade: I was mentally ill and Jesus made it worse.
Facade: No science.
Facade: I'm not going to be controlled.
Facade: People have their minds made up.
Facade: I will not be imposed upon.
Facade: We should not claim Jesus as certain, but be open minded to everything else.

Behind all these facades for irritation, are masked personal issues and fear of the ramifications of Jesus concerning addressing those personal issues.
For me, this sums up the mindset perfectly.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users