Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Ramayana and Mahabharata


  • Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

http://www.oocities....y/ramayana.html

http://www.stephen-k..._or_fiction.htm

http://www.hindunet....hab_vartak.html

http://blog.world-my...he-mahabharata/


It has been a subject of a lot of debate.Initially the epics like that of Homer Illiad and the city of troy were considered to be figments of imagination but with more information emerging with time,many people now are convinced that these are actual events and not myths.


#2    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:03 AM

For those who are not familiar with these epics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramayana
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Mahabharta

http://ramayana4.tripod.com/summ.htm
http://www.dharmaksh...ahabharata.html


#3    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

For those who would like to read the full epics with translations:

http://www.valmikiramayan.net/
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/maha/


#4    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:09 AM

We have ancients talking of flying vehicles called Vimanas, weapons of mass destruction called Brahmastras, Ape like humanoids called Vanaras, generation of electricity by using batteries called Mithra-Varuna, and descriptions of ancient and glorious civilizations and the events linked with them described in both these epics.


#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,257 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Are we talking about the same guy that killed Ravana ? Who was at war with the rakshasa ?
Do you also believe in rakshasa ? And how the ten rakshasi in the Lotus sutra were in service to Shiva himself ?

Miss me?

#6    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

 Simbi Laveau, on 26 March 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

Are we talking about the same guy that killed Ravana ? Who was at war with the rakshasa ?
Do you also believe in rakshasa ? And how the ten rakshasi in the Lotus sutra were in service to Shiva himself ?
Rakshasha were in my opinions also Humans and not a separate species.
Lord Rama was the protagonist of the Ramayana and yes he was the guy who killed Ravana.
And yes Ravana and his clan were known to be the most ardent Devotees of Shiva.


#7    bom shankra

bom shankra

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:aotearoa

  • people say I'm crazy (chapman/lennon)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

what about the epic of gilgamesh, could it  be considered a prototype story for the biblical flood.  I have recently encountered interpretations of certain parts of the mahabhartra that relate to world ages, now we're in the kali yuga, and there are many ages described.  e.g. there are too many devas, so an incarnation of krishna comes along and takes them to task etc.  I Don't know wether I would let my imagination get too carried away. there are numerous people that take that line of thought, such as michael Tsarion, but I definatly wouldn't jump on his band wagon.  however, the parralels between the M~batra, and other mythologies and sacred texts are definately worth examining.

Edited by bom shankra, 26 March 2013 - 08:11 AM.

Whats happening here? I can't add URL links on my signature (to legal streeming music sites such as smithsonian folkways radio / adelaide community "3D radio - 5DDD") -  have I been disabled???, I did post a link to a bob dylan video on my 'profile feed' a few weeks ago that might have been dubious, it got deleted, by someone anyway, very sorry guys!!! But why did the legitimate links on my signature also get wiped? - and I say, I seem to be disabled now :td: .

#8    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

 bom shankra, on 26 March 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

what about the epic of gigalmesh, could it  be considered a prototype story for the biblical flood.  I have recently encountered interpretations of certain parts of the mahabhartra that relate to world ages, now we're in the kali yuga, and there are many ages described.  e.g. there are too many devas, so an incarnation of krishna comes along and takes them to task etc.  I Don't know wether I would let my imagination get too carried away. there are numerous people that take that line of thought, such as michael Tsarion, but I definatly wouldn't jump on his band wagon.  however, the parralels between the M~batra, and other mythologies and sacred texts are definately worth examining.
You have a sense of things but a few corrections-
It is not an avataar of Krishna but avataar of Vishnu (Krishna was also an avataar of Vishnu).An avataar of vishnu takes birth when there are too much evil happening in the world for the guidance of Humanity.
Not only the epic of Gilgamesh and but even the story of Manu are considered to be the predecessors of the biblical flood myth of Noah.


#9    bom shankra

bom shankra

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined:11 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:aotearoa

  • people say I'm crazy (chapman/lennon)

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Quote

Krishna does not pretend to be a fool, the smiling one. He merely insists again and again on being a simple mortal when everybody wishes to adore him as the highest god, which he is. Nor is he known particularly as an "avenger." He was delegated from higher quarters to free the earth--"overburdened" as it was with Asura­--as he had done time and again in his former avatars. Krishna belongs here, however, because Indian tradition has preserved the consciousness of the cosmic frame, and it is this alone that gives meaning to the incidence of war and the notion of crime and punishment as they appear in myth.

82

It is useful to keep philosophy and mythology carefully separate, and yet the many gods and heroes who avenge their fathers--beginning with "Horus-the-avenger-of-his-father" and "Ninurta who has avenged his father"--have their function destined to them, as has the long line of wicked uncles. These figures pay reparation and atonement to each other for their mutual injustice in the order of time, as Anaximander said. Anaximander was a philosopher. Despite its fantastic language the Indian epic has an affinity with his thought. Vishnu returns regularly in his capacity of "avenger," collecting the "reparations" of the bad uncle "according to the order of time." In the Mahabharata he does so under the name of Krishna, but he will come again in the shape of another avatar to clear the earth of the Asura who overburden it. The Asura, too, grow into "overbearing characters" strictly according to the order of time. If under the name of Kalki the Vishnu figure is expected to introduce a new Krita Yuga (Golden Age), when our present Kali Yuga has come to its miserable end.

It is this regular returning of avatars of Vishnu which helps clarify matters. Because it is Vishnu's function to return as avenger at fixed intervals of time, there is no need in the epic to emphasize the revenge taken by Krishna on Uncle Kansa. But in the West, where the continuity of cosmic processes as told by myth has been forgotten--along with the knowledge that gods are stars--the very same revenge is given great importance because it is an unrepeated event accomplished by one figure, whether hero or god, and this hero or god is, moreover, understood to be the creation of some imaginative poet. The introduction of Indian tradition makes it possible to rediscover the context in which such characters as Saxo's Amlethus, such typically unlucky fellows as Kullervo, have significance. Once it is fully realized that "the day Krishna shall have departed from the earth will be the first of the Kali Yuga," the proper perspective is established. Our hero stands precisely on the threshold between a closed age and a new Time Zero. In fact, he closes the old one.



yes it may be mixed up, in fact i'm still confused....I meant to say asura rather than devas as well. :yes:

Edited by bom shankra, 26 March 2013 - 09:02 AM.

Whats happening here? I can't add URL links on my signature (to legal streeming music sites such as smithsonian folkways radio / adelaide community "3D radio - 5DDD") -  have I been disabled???, I did post a link to a bob dylan video on my 'profile feed' a few weeks ago that might have been dubious, it got deleted, by someone anyway, very sorry guys!!! But why did the legitimate links on my signature also get wiped? - and I say, I seem to be disabled now :td: .

#10    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

 bom shankra, on 26 March 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

[/font]

yes it may be mixed up, in fact i'm still confused....I meant to say asura rather than devas as well. :yes: [/size]
Asuras is term often used as a simile for rakshasha but Asuras were again typically the opposite of devas as a rival faction. In zorastrianism the daevas are considered to be bad and the Asuras to be godlike. And 'Krishna and his previous avataar' is again a refferrence to Vishnu.

The tasks faced by Krishna to take revenge from his evil uncle Kansa are very similar to the 12 labours of Hercules. Some say that 'Hercules' can be a corruption of the word 'Harikoolesh' which was one of the many names of Krishna.


#11    himalyanmystic

himalyanmystic

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:himalayas

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashyap
The sage Kashyap is an important figure,one of his wives was diti mother of demons,
his other wife was Aditi mother of the devas the gods,
It is said that the demons had great capacity for penance and austerities but whenever some demon does great austerities and recieves a boon he cause havoc ,unable to control his power he want s to conquer everyone,they are cruel,full of lust,anger and egoistic,do not value the balance of nature,
the devas are powerful have divine pleasures,power but respect the trinity,respect the balance of nature and content with enjoying heaven they respect natural laws and are beneficial to human kind,they have divine qualities as well,
when devas get over involved in sensory indulgances and forget austerities then strong demonic power appears ,the devas plead to vishnu or shiva to rescue them they repent their mistakes ,the demons in such time become powerful and cause havoc ,vishnu kills the demons ,restores balance and immortal devas learn  a lesson.
As is light so simultaneously their is light both exist like day and night,penance ,austerities and tapasya are open for everyone but only great individuals can do great austerities for it requires great focus and determination, demons have great jealosy and anger and hunger for power so some of them use these strong urges for feeding their determination to do tapasya,whereas devas are moderate they usually have a nice time and are content with their divine life.
For mahabharata we have many temples that are built by characters from the epic still in india,
Paramhansa yogannada authour of the book autobiography of a yogi claimed that he was arjuna in past life,
rameshwaram to srilanka their are evidences of a bridge constructed????????
Hadimba temple exists in himachal pradesh ,
krishna's's gita is a masterpiece,
Kurukshetra exists and the epic has to be patiently understood and read before concluding anything,respecting all religions and beliefs i give my opinion............:)

[HIMALAYANMYSTIC

#12    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

 himalyanmystic, on 26 March 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashyap
The sage Kashyap is an important figure,one of his wives was diti mother of demons,
his other wife was Aditi mother of the devas the gods,
It is said that the demons had great capacity for penance and austerities but whenever some demon does great austerities and recieves a boon he cause havoc ,unable to control his power he want s to conquer everyone,they are cruel,full of lust,anger and egoistic,do not value the balance of nature,
the devas are powerful have divine pleasures,power but respect the trinity,respect the balance of nature and content with enjoying heaven they respect natural laws and are beneficial to human kind,they have divine qualities as well,
when devas get over involved in sensory indulgances and forget austerities then strong demonic power appears ,the devas plead to vishnu or shiva to rescue them they repent their mistakes ,the demons in such time become powerful and cause havoc ,vishnu kills the demons ,restores balance and immortal devas learn  a lesson.
As is light so simultaneously their is light both exist like day and night,penance ,austerities and tapasya are open for everyone but only great individuals can do great austerities for it requires great focus and determination, demons have great jealosy and anger and hunger for power so some of them use these strong urges for feeding their determination to do tapasya,whereas devas are moderate they usually have a nice time and are content with their divine life.
For mahabharata we have many temples that are built by characters from the epic still in india,
Paramhansa yogannada authour of the book autobiography of a yogi claimed that he was arjuna in past life,
rameshwaram to srilanka their are evidences of a bridge constructed????????
Hadimba temple exists in himachal pradesh ,
krishna's's gita is a masterpiece,
Kurukshetra exists and the epic has to be patiently understood and read before concluding anything,respecting all religions and beliefs i give my opinion............ :)
Also some say that the Caspian sea is named after Sage Kashyap who migrated with his clan towards central Europe in antiquity.
Though calling these people demons would be give a wrong impression. They were known as 'Asuras' and were similar in all other ways to the devas but the hindus favoured the Devas and so did Vishnu whereas the Zorastrians favoured the Asuras hence these could have been two actual warring clans. The Hindu scriptures casts the Asuras in a bad light. Shiva held both the Devas and Asuras in equal regard and treated them equally and some say that he favoured the Asuras more as he was venerated by Asuras who would please him with their Tapasya and obtain boons from him more frequently then Devas who were more bent towards Vishnu.


#13    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

    Psychic Spy

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Joined:08 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  • If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

 bom shankra, on 26 March 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

what about the epic of gilgamesh, could it  be considered a prototype story for the biblical flood.  I have recently encountered interpretations of certain parts of the mahabhartra that relate to world ages, now we're in the kali yuga, and there are many ages described.  e.g. there are too many devas, so an incarnation of krishna comes along and takes them to task etc.  I Don't know wether I would let my imagination get too carried away. there are numerous people that take that line of thought, such as michael Tsarion, but I definatly wouldn't jump on his band wagon.  however, the parralels between the M~batra, and other mythologies and sacred texts are definately worth examining.
You have a interesting nick but if i am not wrong it should be 'Boom Shankara' .....shiva

Posted Image

It's good to be high.....lol
Though tomorrow is a festival called Holi in India where people drink 'Bhang' or weed mixed in milk which is considered to be Shiva's favourite drink and helped him in his penance.


#14    goodconversations

goodconversations

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Joined:26 Mar 2013
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:A human body

  • We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. Anais Nin

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Interesting reads for next weekend. Thanks.

Posted Image
There's nothing more
erotic than a good
conversation

#15    Jon101

Jon101

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined:27 Apr 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • This is the most well constructed ******* machine I've ever seen!

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Oh Harsh, not more nationalistic claptrap?.  These are silly badly written fairy tales containing no universal truths other than the fact that people of all era's are prone to flights of literary fantasy.  They contain no more esoteric knowledge than the back of a shampoo bottle, no more relevance than a poor pop song and no more historical accuracy than the History Channel.

This is supposed to be a forum for mysteries, not rambling old cod epics.

Happy easter.

This is the most well constructed ******* machine I've ever seen!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users