Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronauts to Watch World Cup

Waspie_Dwarf

Astronauts to Watch World Cup aboard Space Station

As fans around the world tune in to World Cup 2014, a few fans out of this world will be watching, too. United States astronauts Reid Wiseman and Steve Swanson and German astronaut Alexander Gerst will be cheering on their teams from some 230 miles above Earth aboard the International Space Station.

The crew sent down a special message to wish good luck to all the players and teams as they compete in World Cup 2014 in Brazil from June 12 until the final match July 13. The astronauts have trained for years to work together as a unified crew, but the U.S. astronauts and their German crewmate are feeling a little friendly competition: their home countries will play against each other for a chance to advance out of Group G of the World Cup matches. USA and Germany face off on June 26 at Arena Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Astronauts to Watch World Cup Aboard Space Station

As fans around the world tune in to World Cup 2014, a few fans out of this world will be watching, too. United States astronauts Reid Wiseman and Steve Swanson and German astronaut Alexander Gerst will be cheering on their teams from some 230 miles above Earth aboard the International Space Station.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

• Like 1

If England get knocked at at the group stage can I join them on the ISS...?

It might soften the pain watching the rest of the World Cup off-world.

• Like 1

It might soften the pain watching the rest of the World Cup off-world.

And put up with Alexander Gerst if Germany do well?

• Like 3

And put up with Alexander Gerst if Germany do well?

Good call :tu:

I will stick to the pub.

• Like 2

I'm not being silly but I predict that in the distant future there will be football teams for Earth, Moon and Mars.

• Like 1

Seriously, is there nowhere even not on this earth that one can escape from it? Could they at least provide headphones so not everyone has to put up with the constant drivel from the commentators? (It's not the Footy itself I have a grudge against, although I could never have the patience to watch a whole game, it's the idiocy from the commentators).

• Like 4

Seriously, is there nowhere even not on this earth that one can escape from it? Could they at least provide headphones so not everyone has to put up with the constant drivel from the commentators? (It's not the Footy itself I have a grudge against, although I could never have the patience to watch a whole game, it's the idiocy from the commentators).

Lol, it must be a painful time for you.

You could always try the mute button, some channels offer alternative commentary through the use of the 'red button'. This can be fun if it is two rival fans supplying the chatter.

I have often wondered about the seemingly stupid questions put forward but the 'non-footballing' half of the commentary team but at the same time it is often the non-footballer who comes up with the classic commentary moments.

But enough of that for now, there is a thread specifically for the World Cup that you would just love AR. ;)

• Like 1

I predict the first punch-up in space.

(has there ever been fisticuffs on the ISS?)

• Like 2

I just want to to see one of them slightly drunk, pointing wildly at the other whilst singing "from the ISS to the furthest stars, stick your countries flag up your ........" .....then a kebab and off to bed...

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Space station crew talks up World Cup Soccer

During a pair of interviews on June 24 with the Univision Network and ESPN's "SportsCenter, astronauts aboard the International Space Station talked about watching World Cup soccer matches while in orbit, and discussed the upcoming June 26 match between the U.S. and Germany. Mission control in Houston is uplinking the televised matches to the crew members through the station's high-data rate Ku-band communications system.

Out Of This World Cup

The International Space Station crew shows off its own World Cup moves in an “Out Of This World Cup” match. Zero-gravity offers a unique environment to explore new ways to enjoy and celebrate the world’s most popular sport. International Space Station Expedition 40 crew members Steve Swanson, Reid Wiseman, and Alexander Gerst highlight international cooperation while traveling high and fast above the Earth.

• Like 1

I'm not being silly but I predict that in the distant future there will be football teams for Earth, Moon and Mars.

that would be nice Red- like when someone NOT from earth finally wins the Miss Universe contest...!

(my money's on the slave girls of Orion....)

;-)

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

U.S. Astronauts Shave Heads Following World Cup Loss to Germany

Aboard the International Space Station, Expedition 40 Commander Steve Swanson and Flight Engineer Reid Wiseman of NASA made good on their bet with German crewmate Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency. The pair shaved their heads late on June 26 to match Gerst's bald pate in the wake of the U.S. soccer team's loss to Germany 1-0 in the team's World Cup showdown earlier in the day in Recife, Brazil. The crew has been following the World Cup matches closely on orbit through the uplink of programming to them. They also have been posting photos of the World Cup stadiums and their reactions to the matches on social media.

• Like 1

Nice to see a light hearted side to the space missions, and to USA losing at something...