Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

maggie's Funeral

ciriuslea

MP's have already been given the green light on claiming expenses to pay tribute to Maggie to the value of £3,750, x 650 = £2.5m

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/10/margaret-thatcher-dead-mps-can-claim-3750-in-expenses-in-order-to-pay-tribute-to-her-in-the-commons-3590616/?ITO=facebook

while other sources estimate the actual funeral to cost upwards of £10m,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-funeral-armed-forces

Thoughts ?

From what I understand the Family will be paying some of the cost,and the British tax payer will be paying the rest.

I won't comment any further,don't want to be accused of being left wing.

Edited by shaddow134
  • Like 3

From what I understand the Family will be paying some of the cost,and the British tax payer will be paying the rest.

I won't comment any further,don't want to be accused of being left wing.

Me neither - same reason -opposite wing!

• Like 3

I heard she didn't want a state* funeral because of the cost. Grant the lady her wish.

*I know it isn't technically a state funeral, but let's be real guys. Cost is going to be the same.

Also I can't believe they are being granted expenses to come back for the tributes. That's an outrageous waste of money - they feel that strongly about her, they can spend their own bloody money.

• Like 3

I don't really see why anyone from the government deserves a fully paid for funeral. What the hell is that about anyway?!

The only reason i could see someone getting that is if they had bought world peace.

Who the hell needs a 10million+ pound funeral jeez.

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 4

Surely if the Free Market wants a funeral for her, then the Free Market will find the money.

I love that fully three quarters of the money is going on security. i suspect that "Ding-Dong, the Witch is Dead" will be heard a LOT during the funeral, just not at the funeral.

Incidentally - Ding-Dong? Number 2 in the charts.

MP's have already been given the green light on claiming expenses to pay tribute to Maggie to the value of £3,750, x 650 = £2.5m

As I understand it, that money is only available if travelling back from abroad. I still think it's wrong and could have waited a week for parliament to talk about her but wanted to get facts straight.

Family are paying for the service, cremation/burial etc. All the things everyone pays for in a funeral. The state wants to add extra as a mark of respect, seems right the state pays for it.

I don't really see why anyone from the government deserves a fully paid for funeral.

Me neither. Just as well she's not getting one, eh?

Wonder how many lives could be saved with 10 million...still,more company for her in the afterlife eh? There would have been a lot more respect for her memory if she (and others) had insisted on a private funeral.They couldn't force a public 'do' on the family if they said no.

• Like 1

As I understand it, that money is only available if travelling back from abroad. I still think it's wrong and could have waited a week for parliament to talk about her but wanted to get facts straight.

Apologies perhaps not all MPs will be claiming expenses to pay tribute to Thatcher, the official cost to the tax payer for her funeral will be announced after, hopefully someone will release just which MP claimed what amount towards her tribute,

Its just as well that this amount is only available to those travelling back from wherever, as we know what MP's are like with expenses claims

• Like 1

I had no idea how strongly this lady was detested in Britain. I see the points being made and realize that if she indeed did cause such harm the hard feelings would be legitimate. But there are always two sides and this reminds me of the vilification Reagan received upon his death. I'm sure that will be eclipse when W passes in a few years. No one is as bad as their worst deed and no one as good as their best. RIP Iron Lady.

• Like 1

I had no idea how strongly this lady was detested in Britain. I see the points being made and realize that if she indeed did cause such harm the hard feelings would be legitimate. But there are always two sides and this reminds me of the vilification Reagan received upon his death. I'm sure that will be eclipse when W passes in a few years. No one is as bad as their worst deed and no one as good as their best. RIP Iron Lady.

I think your always going to have those who will condemn any leader, personally I was too young and naive to really understand her policies or how they impacted, I remember the Poll tax and just how worried my parents were over it, but I will concede I think SHE thought she was doing the right thing for the country, and as long as you stick to that principle as a PM even if you fail miserably, there is at least some honour in that.

I don't think the tax payer should be burdened with the cost of her funeral though, I think the tax payer is sick to the back teeth of hearing about how hard up the country is, then have to witness obscene amounts of money used like this, Its almost like rubbing salt in, to those who have ill feeling towards her, to now have to foot this expense.

Edited by ciriuslea
  • Like 3

I wasn't a great fan off all her policies but she hasn't been in politics in Donkeys years. I think people could show a little respect as it is at the end of the day a person that has died.

All this celebrating is pretty bad taste to be honest.

• Like 4

I am certain there were celebrations when Ghengis Khan passed away.

Its simply returning the pain she caused to its source - sort of karma.

Br Cornelius

I am certain there were celebrations when Ghengis Khan passed away.

Its simply returning the pain she caused to its source - sort of karma.

Br Cornelius

Didn't she relieve some pain for the climate crowd as she put a stop to subsidizing coal that nobody wanted and switching to gas?

Thing is most hardline Labour supporters would would still vote the party in if Gengis Khan was the leader.

Edited by skookum

Didn't she relieve some pain for the climate crowd as she put a stop to subsidizing coal that nobody wanted and switching to gas?

Thing is most hardline Labour supporters would would still vote the party in if Gengis Khan was the leader.

She had the redeeming quality of been a scientist who understood science.

It is all to understandable why most people don't vote. There are no human or decent politicians on offer and so we are left with hobsons choice.

Br Cornelius

Nothing wrong with being left wing - i'm left wing and proud.

Its ridiculous the cost of the funeral when such savage cuts are being made elsewhere by the tories, and the recall of parliament too.

Also, the song 'ding dong the witch is dead' will be no 1 this week but the bbc will only play 5 seconds of it but its giving her funeral 3 hours !.

• Like 1

This is the UK foreign aid yearly donations to the following countries.

India - £295 million (Errrmmm, aren't they the fastest growing economy in the world?)

Ethiopia - £214 million

Bangladesh - £149 million

Sudan - £146 million

Tanzania - £144 million

Pakistan - £140 million

Afghanistan - £133 million

Nigeria - £114 million

Congo - £109 million

Ghana - £90 million

....not a whisper......silence....tumbleweed blowing through the streets.....

....a funeral....£8-10 million.....Ooooh I'm outraged...what a waste of money....we could have built maybe half a school....funded the NHS......ooooh lets march...!!!. Compared to our foreign aid bill or our £53 million a day

contribution to keep the EU going, £8 million is a drop in the ocean

Edited by Oscar77
  • Like 1

10 million for this funeral.Christ on a crutch.I would have buried her in a potters field!If you gauge the public reaction just off chart sales alone you'll find that the anti Thatcher song got to number two while the pro Thatcher song got to a measly 35.And the last time the Big Ben was silent was not at Winston Curchill's funeral but 28 Days Later.Though having said that Churchill deserved his accolade despite not being PM when it came to our finest hour.

She dosn't however because she destroyed the militant tendencies of our trade unions,single- handedly destroyed the mining industry and laid the template for other infamous PM's like John " The Golem" Major,Tony" Cheshire Cat" Blair and Camwrong.If you added up the cost of all the miners funerals together it won't even pay for Katherine Jenkins.But if Arthur Scargill got a send-off it should be worth 20 million quid.

And an other thing.The council tax was instigated in her reign of terror.

10 million for this funeral.Christ on a crutch.I would have buried her in a potters field!If you gauge the public reaction just off chart sales alone you'll find that the anti Thatcher song got to number two while the pro Thatcher song got to a measly 35.And the last time the Big Ben was silent was not at Winston Curchill's funeral but 28 Days Later.Though having said that Churchill deserved his accolade despite not being PM when it came to our finest hour.

She dosn't however because she destroyed the militant tendencies of our trade unions,single- handedly destroyed the mining industry and laid the template for other infamous PM's like John " The Golem" Major,Tony" Cheshire Cat" Blair and Camwrong.If you added up the cost of all the miners funerals together it won't even pay for Katherine Jenkins.But if Arthur Scargill got a send-off it should be worth 20 million quid.

And an other thing.The council tax was instigated in her reign of terror.

Yep, we should spend 20 million on a funeral for someone who organised economically crippling strikes and cost the country a significant amount of money but not 10 million on someone who struck a £70 BILLION (and counting) deal for us. Makes perfect sense :wacko:

This is the UK foreign aid yearly donations to the following countries.

India - £295 million (Errrmmm, aren't they the fastest growing economy in the world?)

Ethiopia - £214 million

Bangladesh - £149 million

Sudan - £146 million

Tanzania - £144 million

Pakistan - £140 million

Afghanistan - £133 million

Nigeria - £114 million

Congo - £109 million

Ghana - £90 million

....not a whisper......silence....tumbleweed blowing through the streets.....

....a funeral....£8-10 million.....Ooooh I'm outraged...what a waste of money....we could have built maybe half a school....funded the NHS......ooooh lets march...!!!. Compared to our foreign aid bill or our £53 million a day

contribution to keep the EU going, £8 million is a drop in the ocean

I think your'll find foreign aid is also under the spotlight, I recently remember the opposition to Hauge's £120m to Congo pledge, but its not quite the same level of discontent, 'wasting' money to keep people alive than putting a dead one in the ground, but there has to be a catalyst, people tend to simmer until they boil over

Yep, we should spend 20 million on a funeral for someone who organised economically crippling strikes and cost the country a significant amount of money but not 10 million on someone who struck a £70 BILLION (and counting) deal for us. Makes perfect sense :wacko:

Though if you look at the basic facts of the matter Mr Scargill is more worthy of a £10 million funeral than a person who insults and angers every part of my working class roots.But twenty million of anybody's money when it comes to any funeral isn't worth the investment.If this deal is that lucrative then the funeral costs should come out of it. I don't think humble taxpayers should be mathered because of this.Though the only redeeming feature and I mean only is the Falklands War.It dosn't really matter who the PM is at the time.British sovereignty is paramount.But I honestly can't see how a £70 billion deal was struck out of this.

Besides if there was being a £70 billion deal being struck why has it only now that I'm aware of it.Because it hasn't stopped toxic debt and double dip recessions.Unless there's more in the Government coffer than their letting on.Though I don't watch polictical programmes as a rule because of all the pompous,posturing,self- serving windbags.A major turn- off!

Edited by G Donnelly

Though if you look at the basic facts of the matter Mr Scargill is more worthy of a £10 million funeral than a person who insults and angers every part of my working class roots.But twenty million of anybody's money when it comes to the funeral isn't worth the investment.If this deal is that lucrative then the funeral costs should come out of it. I don't think humble taxpayers should be mathered because of this.Though the only redeeming feature and I mean only is the Falklands War.It dosn't really matter who the PM is at the time.British sovereignty is paramount.But I honestly can't see how a £70 billion deal was struck out of this.

Besides if there was being a £70 billion deal being struck why has it only now that I'm aware of it.Because it hasn't stopped toxic debt and double dip recessions.Unless there's more in the Government coffer than their letting on.

She sold of most of British industry, and gained a massive windfall from the North Sea, she introduced the right to buy without ploughing any profit back into building replacements, she weakened the Unions which reduced workers rights, she relaxed banking regs which ultimately led to irresponsible lending and the current banking crisis...nothing to really boast about.

When you actually do any research on this £70b figure you see just how hollow this claim is.

• Like 1

Besides if there was being a £70 billion deal being struck why has it only now that I'm aware of it.Because it hasn't stopped toxic debt and double dip recessions.Unless there's more in the Government coffer than their letting on.Though I don't watch polictical programmes as a rule because of all the pompous,posturing,self- serving windbags.A major turn- off!

I don't know. Maybe because you've been living under a rock? And, no, we're still skint. Courtesy of pretty much every PM for decades, from both parties. Basically what the deal means is that we're 70 bn less in debt than we would be otherwise. Not that we have it just sitting around. Remember, the deal was struck when Thatcher was in power and we've had insane spending for most of the last governments time in office.

You want to know why the funeral can't be paid for with this 70 bn? Cos labour already spent it.

Me neither - same reason -opposite wing!

Me too, but I don't have wings.
  • Like 1