Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 4 votes

Cell phone in 1928?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#46    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 09 October 2012 - 04:50 AM, said:

Fortunately the always sexy and exceptionally bright Hasina has once again taken the stance of reason in the face of such nonsense.  Bravo good lady.  Bravo.  :tu:

Yeah, what a hero.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#47    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

Nevermind.

Edited by booNyzarC, 09 October 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#48    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostHasina, on 09 October 2012 - 03:48 AM, said:

The reason I've argued against this is because... it's me, from the future who went back in time to escape the T-800 that's trying to kill me. The phone? I was hungry and was ordering time pizza delivery.
"It's there in 80 years, or, you get it free!"/84 year old pizza should be free.//and Hat's off to, Wearer of Hats, for mentioning Occam first. You get a free slice of antiquated pizza. Enjoy!

#49    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 October 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

No one has invoked Occam's razor yet? Tsk, tsk!

Logical answer (thanks Hasina), a period hearing aid/device. Once you can fully disprove the logical answer, only then you can entertain the more fanciful explanations.

As an aside, on a different forum someone tried to raise another 'time traveller' in a photo from a 1930's World Exhibition photograph. In a crowd of about thirty or 40 people was one guy who looked like a stereotypical beatnik from the early 1960's (cheezy beard, t-shirt, glasses and all).

Time traveller, or a guy that just had forward thinking fashion sense? What's the more logical answer?

I don't know, that thread made it here in a few threads of its own, too. In my opinion, he wasn't even out of fit for the time.

You decide (sunglasses and shirt/jacket/hairstyle has been shown in equivalent time period photos in other threads):

Posted Image

Edited by _Only, 09 October 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#50    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

Nevermind.

#51    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, I knew all of that. Which makes it weird for you to choose one random person who has said what everyone else has said time and again, and raise them up on a pedestal. You owe everyone else an equal odd amount of praise.

#52    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Wasn't aware that in the 1930's anyone wore sunglasses with side-shields. Hmmmm.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#53    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Nevermind.

#54    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,442 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 October 2012 - 05:04 AM, said:

No one has invoked Occam's razor yet? Tsk, tsk!
psst ... post #42 ;)

#55    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,442 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

Yeah, I knew all of that. Which makes it weird for you to choose one random person who has said what everyone else has said time and again, and raise them up on a pedestal. You owe everyone else an equal odd amount of praise.
Yeah, but Hassina's cuter then me ;)

#56    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

I don't know, that thread made it here in a few threads of its own, too. In my opinion, he wasn't even out of fit for the time.

You decide (sunglasses and shirt/jacket/hairstyle has been shown in equivalent time period photos in other threads):

Posted Image
AY CARAMBA! That's the guy! Definate forward thinking fashion sense.

#57    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 09 October 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

Wasn't aware that in the 1930's anyone wore sunglasses with side-shields. Hmmmm.

cormac

They existed. Google 1940's machine safety glasses or 1940's sunglasses side shields. Sunglasses were also all the rage in the '30's and '40's (when this was taken) because they were fresh and new. Just the type of thing a teen/young adult would wear out on the town.

This article, among many others, takes some wind out of the time traveler angle myth's sail a bit: http://forgetomori.c...n-museum-photo/

So add up what they say there, and add in that the jersey he was wearing has the logo of the Montreal Maroons sweater jersey (the picture also taken in Canada),

Posted Image

the hair being the same as other young adults in the period (see Eddie Haskell), the fitting time period college jacket, yadda yadda yadda. It makes for some fun to find all of his different fashion parts and be able to find fitting comparisons that reveal this photo as ordinary.

As I said in the other thread, Sally a few people over sure seems to find his fashion sense dreamy.

Edited by _Only, 09 October 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#58    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 09 October 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

psst ... post #42 ;)
psst... post #48. Enjoy your 84 year old slice of pizza! *nom nom nom*

#59    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Rofl read this on a comedy site like 2 days ago and they gave at least 25 answers that it could of been. nom nom cracked.

#60    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 3,974 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

View Post_Only, on 09 October 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

They existed. Google 1940's machine safety glasses or 1940's sunglasses side shields. Sunglasses were also all the rage in the '30's and '40's (when this was taken) because they were fresh and new. Just the type of thing a teen/young adult would wear out on the town.

This article, among many others, takes some wind out of the time traveler angle myth's sail a bit: http://forgetomori.c...n-museum-photo/

As I said in the other thread, Sally a few people over sure seems to find his fashion sense dreamy.
Except that he's clearly holding a Canon AE-1 in front of him. *kidding*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users