Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'World's ugliest dolphin' finally surfaces

Owlscrying

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

A dolphin described as the ugliest in the world has been shown off on television after a breakthrough discovery.

The snub fin dolphin with an eye-catching bulbous head is the first new species of the creature to be found for 50 years.

After being identified three years ago off Western Australia's Kimberley coast, key details about the dolphin have only now been captured.

Wildlife experts had struggled to track down the dolphin, since snub fins are easily scared by rare human contact.

Researchers used the dart gun to get a DNA sample from the dolphins - allowing new insights into the animal.

Tammie Matson, from the World Wildlife Fund, said: "It may be the world's ugliest dolphin - some people have said that.

"But I am just absolutely blown away by this creature. They are absolutely endearing."

She added: "There's almost nothing known about this species. We are literally starting from scratch."

go

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• Owlscrying

• saturnrings

• Katya

Top Posters In This Topic

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

A dolphin described as the ugliest in the world has been shown off on television after a breakthrough discovery.

The snub fin dolphin with an eye-catching bulbous head is the first new species of the creature to be found for 50 years.

After being identified three years ago off Western Australia's Kimberley coast, key details about the dolphin have only now been captured.

Wildlife experts had struggled to track down the dolphin, since snub fins are easily scared by rare human contact.

Researchers used the dart gun to get a DNA sample from the dolphins - allowing new insights into the animal.

Tammie Matson, from the World Wildlife Fund, said: "It may be the world's ugliest dolphin - some people have said that.

"But I am just absolutely blown away by this creature. They are absolutely endearing."

She added: "There's almost nothing known about this species. We are literally starting from scratch."

go

...ungly?......makes you wonder how some organisms survive at all, with all the rubish that we throw in the sea and polute nature....

Edited by saturnrings

Oh come on, leave the poor thing alone! I don't think it's ugly at *all*. It's still adorable...look at its EYES!

"So long and thanks for all the fish...." :lol::whistle:

linked-image

linked-image

linked-image

go

well,

Its really not ugly. . It looks like a dolphin just a little bigger than normal.

But I think that it is awesome that there are a new species. .

=]

Ugly? No.

It looks like a dolphin with extra brain capacity...

Extra brain capacity?

I vote for him as our next president.

I didn't think it was ugly either! I'm happy we found a new species...although now that means for some people that me must destroy it.

What a silly description. Sound like something out of a gossip magazine, not describing a new species.

Edited by Belle.

Awwwwww. He's precious. He's not ugly. ;)

He/She is not ugly! :angry: Ugly is.......Donald Trump. :lol:

The dolphin has better hair.

I have to agree. It's not ugly. How can something like that be ugly? Different. Yes. But not ugly.

He's kinda cute.

It's not ugly, it's kinda cute.

I think it is actually quite cute, definately not ugly..

Edited to add: If you want to see ugly, check out Irish's Avatar and the one where her was blow drying his hair.. lol

Edited by XSAS

"ugly" dolphin =/= ugly! :blink:

Reminds me of a gray beluga, actually.

linked-image

Just with less of a stop.

I bet he or she is pretty smart, like most dolphins.

edit: The beluga I found doesn't have much of a stop... But most do ^_^

Edited by Katya