Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

Mothmen

Don't go hard on me, i know the story about the three students dissapearing in the woods of Maryland is fake and made up by the directors. Thats why this topic is not about the story as we know it all, but the background story which makes alot more sense. I gathered some information from all over the web concerning the legend. Some may find it a long read, but i think its worth reading since if digs deeper in the story.

I'm not saying the story is true, but i thought it was interesting enough to share with you.

In the winter of 1785, Elly Kedward was banished from the town of Blair after several local children accuse her of performing witchcraft. She was presumed dead from exposure, but the next year, all of her accusers have vanished. The residents of Blair fear she's cursed the area and abandon the town, vowing never to utter the name "Elly Kedward" again.

In 1825, a year after the town was rediscovered and founded as Burkittsville, the villagers held the first annual Wheat Harvest Picnic. During the picnic, ten-year-old Eileen Treacle wandered off towards Tappy East Creek and drowned. Eleven eye-witnesses claimed to have seen a ghostly white hand reach up and pull her into the shallow water. Her body was never found, and for thirteen days afterward, the creek became contaminated with oily bundles of sticks, rendering the water useless.

Townspeople noted the possible supernatural characteristics of the Treacle disappearance and were quick to blame the death on the Blair Witch.

In 1886, eight-year-old Robin Weaver alledgedly followed a woman who's feet didn't touch the ground into a house the woods. She took Robin into a house, where the woman locked her in basement and said she'd return later. Distressed, Robin escaped through a small window. A search party was dispatched, but while Robin later returned, the search party didn't. A second search party found the group disemboweled at Coffin Rock. When they returned to the site with help, the bodies had vanished without a trace.

In late 1940, a hermit named Rustin Parr began abducting children from Burkittsville. He kidnapped eight children total and brutally murdered seven of them, letting Kyle Brody go. Parr confessed to the crimes in May of 1941, claiming he was doing what an old lady ghost told him. Parr was convicted and hanged later that year.

----------------

linked-imagelinked-image

Parr in his childhood and later years

But it's not Rustin Parr who makes this story interesting, but Kyle Brody, the boy he released. Chris Carrazco, who examinated the life of Rustin Parr, thinks Kyle Brody involvement in the murders of the seven children is bigger than everybody thinks.

Rustin Parr lived on a mountain near Burkitsville as a hermit who had a good reputation among the townspeople. Parr was abused by his uncle when he was young and his parents died when he was 9. He build a house in the woods of the Black Hills to have a quiet life and get away from it all. In the late 1930's Parr noticed he began hearing strange noises in the night and seeing a woman in a black dress in the woods, who would disappear when he would run after her. He began to hear the woman in his head, first at night, and later also in waking hours. She ordered Parr to do strange thins like sleeping in the basement for a week, and later began telling him to kidnap and kill children. The story goes that one day he walked into a store and told the people he was 'finished', which after people went to his house and found the bodies of the seven children, and Kyle Brody on the front porch, alive and well.

Here is the statement Kyle Brody made in court:

The People vs. Rustin Parr

Courtroom Transcript -- Kyle Brody Testimony

Q Now where was that, in the room, what part of the room?

A By the front door.

Q Just inside the front door?

A (Assenting) Inside the room by the front door.

Q Alright, Kyle. And what happened then?

A He told me to stand in the corner and face the wall. I could hear Emily screaming. He was cutting her. I looked. He was cutting a symbol on her face.

Q You're doing really well, Kyle. You're doing just fine. Could you point out to me the man who did that to Emily? Could you point him out to me?

A (Hesitating)

Q It's alright, Kyle. Look, your parents are right there.

Q (By the Court) Should we recess?

Q Kyle?

A (pointing) That's him sitting there.

Q Let the record note that Kyle Brody has identified the defendant, Rustin Parr.

Q Now Kyle, what happened after that?

A He tied her up in the corner. I was facing the wall. He started to hurt her then.

Q Go on, Kyle, you're doing just fine.

A Sometimes he would come up to me: Do you hear her? Do you hear the woman's voice? I would cry and tell him to leave her alone, but he wouldn't listen.

Q Do you know who he was referring to?

A No.

Q Did you ever see a woman out there?

A No.

Q Alright, Kyle, what happened then?

A After a few days he killed her. He cut her open, and after he took everything out of her, he left with her and I never saw her again. When he came back he told me not to be sad, he'd bring someone else back soon.

MR. FAIR: Prosecution rests, your Honor.

THE COURT: Thank you, Mr. Fair.

Chris Carrazco did research on the circumstances and found some questionable facts:

- None of the seven children knew each other except Kyle, who knew all of them.

- Kyle had a troubled past with some of the children

- Kyle gave police detailed information about the abduction of Emily Hollands, though she was taken two weeks before his disappearance. Kyle even knew where her abduction took place.

Kyle also was a problem child. He had an abusive father, he liked to fight and torture animals (the first sign of a bigger problem). Kyle spent most of his later life in jails or institutions. Chris carrazco came across a rare film called White Enamel, a documentary about the conditions ins several mental institutions, including the one where Kyle lived.

The footage gave Chris the evidence he needed all this time to connect Kyle Brody with the murders of the seven children.

In the first clip, we see Kyle writing on a large pad, and as the camera zoomes we see him writing Transitus Fluvii, the witchcraft language. He writes in from right to left, as witchcraft language should be written.

http://www.bluedaniel.com/archived/rustinparr/brody2.htm

This is significant because it was the same language found found on the walls of Rustin Parr's house:

linked-imagelinked-image

This led Chris to the conclusion that the writings were made by Kyle. It could not have been done by Rustin, since he could not read or write English. Kyle, on the other hand, was extremely intelligent and had a high IQ.

The second clip shows Kyle in his cell, screaming: 'Never Given!' It is documented that the guards guarding over Parr heard him scream that same sentence all night long the night before he was executed. Though no one knows what it means, it has a strong connection between the relation of Kyle and Rustin, and also indicating the bigger involvement of Kyle in the murders.

http://www.bluedaniel.com/archived/rustinparr/brody1.htm

So, what can we make from all this? Is this just another story made up or does it hold some truth in it. Is this whole background story also faked, or did Kyle Brody really had to do something with the murders? Did he hold Rustin Parrs hand while performing the action on the seven murder victims and did he abuse Parrs mental condition to make him plea guilty? Did Kyle testify against Parr while he was the actual mastermind? Was he just a charming, but very evil young boy? Please give me your opinions...

Edited by Mothmen
  • Like 6

I think the whole Rustin Parr story and the characters associated with it are completely fictitious and were made up just to give colour to the backstory... I think he was referred to in a game based on the movie that was available a few years ago.

The search party found dismeboiled was likely caused by wild animals such as bears. The rest of it has no air of mystery but there is a tendancy for creating people with big problems and those with serious psychological issues. Something like that drawn to attention by the Blair Witch Project film (which was a load of rubbish) and it does bring up old supersticious feelings among people who should know better in this day and age.

It's cobblers. Go to the Harz Mountains in Germany (Saxony area) if you want to study true witches.

Edited by Lady Amethyst

No town called Blair ever existed in Maryland.

I think you just described these video games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Wit..._1:_Rustin_Parr

The whole Blair Witch Project franchise is notable for its use of elaborate viral marketing to add plausibility to it's back story - fake websites, fake documentaries etc

That's the one I meant in my post, thank you!

I think you just described these video games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Wit..._1:_Rustin_Parr

The whole Blair Witch Project franchise is notable for its use of elaborate viral marketing to add plausibility to it's back story - fake websites, fake documentaries etc

Sadly thats becoming more and more popular with movies these days. "Based on a true story!" usually means based on a made up story that we will make seem real by spreading a ton of b.s on the news and internet and creating fake documents to back it up. Its a real shame because all it does is hurt any kind of investigation in to incidents that might have a grain of truth to them.

• Like 4

In the first clip, we see Kyle writing on a large pad, and as the camera zoomes we see him writing Transitus Fluvii, the witchcraft language. He writes in from right to left, as witchcraft language should be written.

Transitus Fluvii is a form of Hebrew which, as most people know, is written from right to left. Trasitus Fluvii is more like a code language that was developed in the Middle Ages to allow mystics and such to avoid persecution by the Christians. There is no witchcraft language. We all write in our native language.

• Like 6

What you just described is an extra on the Blair Witch Project SE DVD. It was filmed to fit in with the film's mythos that all of it actually happened.

Edited by AbrahamVanHelsing
  • Like 2

I think the whole Rustin Parr story and the characters associated with it are completely fictitious and were made up just to give colour to the backstory... I think he was referred to in a game based on the movie that was available a few years ago.

The OP is aware that the movie and videogames associated with it were launched with an ad campaign that included a whole slew of fake websites that fleshed out the backstory, isn't he?

The OP is aware that the movie and videogames associated with it were launched with an ad campaign that included a whole slew of fake websites that fleshed out the backstory, isn't he?

I didn't think so, perhaps I misunderstood!

The Bell Witch is thought to have influenced The Blair Witch plot--otherwise it is completely made-up.

Edited by Ebonykrow
  • Like 5

Thanks for your comments!

I kinda suspected everything was fake, but the story behind the Blair Witch movie goes very deep and was very well done! I think not many directors would create such a myth behind their story nowadays, since these days its (mostly) all about the moneymaking.

• Like 1

It is all fiction. But, I don't know about you guys, that house is ****ing creepy.

Thanks for your comments!

I kinda suspected everything was fake, but the story behind the Blair Witch movie goes very deep and was very well done! I think not many directors would create such a myth behind their story nowadays, since these days its (mostly) all about the moneymaking.

Their devotion to creating such a deep mythology behind the film is probably one of the things that made it so popular! I agree most film-makers wouldn't go to such lengths, although viral marketing and ARGs are becoming more and more popular as a method to creat advance buzz for new films.

• Like 1

Well i think that there is some truth to it. Yeah they might have made some it up but i mean there was a real trial on the guy so there has to be some truth to it. I'm not saying that all of it is true but i am saying some of the imformation might be right. To tell you the truth i would love to go there my self and find out if its true. Its very intresting. It makes you think what really is out there

Well i think that there is some truth to it. Yeah they might have made some it up but i mean there was a real trial on the guy so there has to be some truth to it. I'm not saying that all of it is true but i am saying some of the imformation might be right. To tell you the truth i would love to go there my self and find out if its true. Its very intresting. It makes you think what really is out there

The trial records, everything, were fakes created and spread to create a backstory for the marketing campaign. Brilliant idea, but Im sure they didnt realize the confusion it would cause. (Odd thing here, If *I* faked records and spread them around, some how Im sure I would be found to be violating a dozen laws, these guys do it and its just viral marketing, go figure! lmao)

Like I said earlier, the Bell Witch was reference for SOME of the movie--but the plot idea in 99.9% of its entirety is false.

I don't think there wasn't a real guy on trial (if you mean the chap you mentioned in your first post), that's all part of the story.

Edited by schizoidwoman

Ok, go to www.bluedaniel.com/ (the site the OP got his info from), click the link at the top for news, it tells you that all news is at www.danielkarcher.com/. Daniel Karcher is a film designer that worked on the BW project as well as other films.

If you google the name Daniel Katcher, the description for the bluedaniel website reads "daniel karcher | film design studiosdaniel karcher | film design studios | providing flash content for the motion picture industry."

A little poking around on the BlueDaniel site and you get a list of all the movies hes done flash projects for, including The Blair Witch Project, a Elly Kedward movie, a movie about the Bloody Bender family of Kansas ect. The few movies I clicked on all had websites that looked alot like the bluedaniel site. If you look in the "Miscellaneous" section and mouse over the links there, you see a description on the very last link, its a viral for something about villiage idiots. So in conclusion, I would say that every thing on that site is related to his work as a flash designer for films.

Myth Busted?

Edited by MirrorImage

Just step back and watch - we are witnessing the birth of a new urban legend that in 5 years everybody will know... everybody will walk around and talk about the "true" info behind the movie just as they talk about Roswell now...

Sit back, grab a beer, and watch it happen. It ought to be instructive.

The Blair Witch Legend not totally fake?

It's true the video is not totally fake,......... there are such things as campers.

• Like 3

It's true the video is not totally fake,......... there are such things as campers.

Hang on, hang on... "There are such things as campers"?!?!?

Name your sources when you makes claims like that.

;)

Edited by schizoidwoman
  • Like 1

Where are these campers and how do I get a photo to prove they exist?

• Like 1

Where are these campers and how do I get a photo to prove they exist?

I saw one!