Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

share your personal altar, or sacred space

Marcion Meets E. Sibyl

Hi,

Here are some pictures of my altar, and please feel free to upload scans of your sacred place (and it doesn't have to be religious in nature, but it has to be a very special place where you let go of your earthly cares on a daily basis or in a ritual manner):

zzaltar1.jpg

zzaltar2.jpg

Peace.

• Like 6

I am a Pagan Druid*, my alter represents Nature as the divine. The lucky bamboo represents the world tree. The cats and the wolf carving represent the noble kindred which are the beings we share the Earth with. The crystals represents the Earth herself. The shell represents the sea. There are offering on there, too, feathers, a silver coin and arrow head.

Edit to add, I love your alter Born Passion. It is beautiful.

(*Note, not all Druids believe the same)

Edited by GreenmansGod

Between my new laptop and new phone can't figure out how to post a picture of my altar. Waah! Both of those altars are beautiful; completely different styles, but beautiful. Next month I'm doing a day long workshop on how to communicate with guides & ancestors, starting with building an altar. Hopefully I'll be able to post a picture of the group altar, because they are always beautiful and interesting.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

I'm not posting a picture of my bed!

Seriously though reading the OP that would be it. It's a very special place where I let go of my earthly cares on a daily basis and pretty much in a ritual manner(I always give thanks before sleeping). So my favourite time of the day is when I climb into bed to sleep.

Looks like a lovely space no-thing born passion. :)

I dont know how to post photos here to to participate though lol

Thank you.

Regarding photos... What I did was I uploaded my pictures on my website, and then used the pictures' addresses as my "Image Properties: URL" on UM. It's important to find out the actual picture's address in order for you to upload that specific picture on UM. Of course, another way is GreenmansGod's method.

Peace.

• Like 1

I am a Pagan Druid*, my alter represents Nature as the divine. The lucky bamboo represents the world tree. The cats and the wolf carving represent the noble kindred which are the beings we share the Earth with. The crystals represents the Earth herself. The shell represents the sea. There are offering on there, too, feathers, a silver coin and arrow head.

Edit to add, I love your alter Born Passion. It is beautiful.

(*Note, not all Druids believe the same)

Thank you, my friend. You're altar looks very special. Do I see a black obsidian sphere? BTW, I'm still waiting for my dragon's blood incense to arrive, but it should be here soon. Have a good evening.
  • Like 1

High in the sierras there is this large pool of water. A mountain river fills it. It slides down a large granite rock. My brothers found it many years ago and they took my father. Then my father took me with them. My father stopped takeing me after my brothers died. But he started to again when I was about 11. I have many memories of being there with my father and some with my brothers. There is a flat rock that jut into the pool. It is my alter. I go back nearly every year sometimes twice. I have instructions to spread my ashes there when the time comes.

This is it here. The actual rock is to the right out if sight.

http://www.panoramio.com/m/photo/23235861

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 2

I bow to nothing.

I need no altar.

....ok sorry that was jsut being overly dramatic.

I don't have one, never considered the need for it. the world I guess, existence itself is what I look to for confirmation of what I know.

• Like 1

Thank you, my friend. You're altar looks very special. Do I see a black obsidian sphere? BTW, I'm still waiting for my dragon's blood incense to arrive, but it should be here soon. Have a good evening.

Yes that is the obsidian sphere, but I do change them out. I should put out the pink granite sphere for the coming pink moon. One of the big clear crystals is in the back. This is a nice thread, thanks for starting it.

• Like 1

Here's my altar. Can't figure out how to make the photo bigger. Waah!

post-119045-0-67076100-1394936206_thumb.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 2

I bow to nothing.

I need no altar.

....ok sorry that was jsut being overly dramatic.

I don't have one, never considered the need for it. the world I guess, existence itself is what I look to for confirmation of what I know.

I love altars, if for nothing else, their beauty. But it's also a visual reminder of things, ideas, concepts that are important to us, and a way of celebrating them and bringing them into the physical world. They're not for everyone, although many people do have what could be considered an altar somewhere in their home. It might have photos of ancestors, along with objects that are meaningful or to which there's an emotional attachment. Sea shells, stones or rocks, figurines of dogs or cats or other animals, dried flowers, objects given to us by people who have crossed over, those kinds of things, all together on a shelf or small table.

High in the sierras there is this large pool of water. A mountain river fills it. It slides down a large granite rock. My brothers found it many years ago and they took my father. Then my father took me with them. My father stopped takeing me after my brothers died. But he started to again when I was about 11. I have many memories of being there with my father and some with my brothers. There is a flat rock that jut into the pool. It is my alter. I go back nearly every year sometimes twice. I have instructions to spread my ashes there when the time comes.

This is it here. The actual rock is to the right out if sight.

http://www.panoramio.../photo/23235861

What a beautiful place. Mother Nature is the best altar builder of all! Since I was a small child, I've loved the sound of a running river, and the ocean, as well, those ceaseless sounds of nature that remind us of forces greater than ourselves. I was in awe then, as I am now.

• Like 1

Here's my altar. Can't figure out how to make the photo bigger. Waah!

post-119045-0-67076100-1394936206_thumb.

Thank you for showing your altar, Beany. The seashells placemat looks lovely. Are those Mexican sun and moon ceramics? They're beautiful. They remind me to put up my suncatchers, but I'm still settling in -- one step at a time.

zsuncatch2.jpg

zsuncatch1.jpg

Is that a jar of sea salt?

Peace.

• Like 1

23235861.jpg

Beautiful, White Crane Feather. Thank you for sharing it.

The water is running a bit high in this picture, so it looks dangerously. But you can slide down part if the fall like a water slide. The picture dosnt do it justice either, that pool is probably over an acre. In the center of the fall there is a small pool that is constantly full off large trout, and there are countless fish here.

Just behind where this picture is taken there are grinding holes. There is a unique geological formation anout half a mile back that leaves a plethora of natural salt deposits. I discovered a method of how native Americans hide heavy grinding artifacts here. ( or rather I was shown ;)) Sorry I will not tell. I have been able to find caches of artifacts nearly everywhere I see the signs knowing this. I inspect them and marvel at them then put them back. This area is not only sacred to me, it has been a place of rich importance for many thousands of years. Luckily it's in a deep canyon that is a long back road drive to get to, then a 8 mile hike into wilderness. It keeps a lot of people away.

I know every crack and crevice of that picture. Dove off every rock, drank the water straight. I have even grinded my own salt for my fish there with traditional tools. My two older boys are now old enough to make the hike. This year will be their first year.

I love altars, if for nothing else, their beauty. But it's also a visual reminder of things, ideas, concepts that are important to us, and a way of celebrating them and bringing them into the physical world. They're not for everyone, although many people do have what could be considered an altar somewhere in their home. It might have photos of ancestors, along with objects that are meaningful or to which there's an emotional attachment. Sea shells, stones or rocks, figurines of dogs or cats or other animals, dried flowers, objects given to us by people who have crossed over, those kinds of things, all together on a shelf or small table.

Haha yes. Our little area ended up to my wife's dismay in part of her china cabinet. We have got everything from a dried toad and rattle snake rattles to a pickled camel spider and the large fly that got stuck in my middle ones ear that had to be removed by the doctor. Our Chinese beta fish also resides here. My kids call it "the sculpture"... I'm not sure why.

My favorite is my Bruce lee action figure. OMG you have got to see this thing, I guess I had an alter in my house and did not even know it. How do you post pictures?

Edited by White Crane Feather

I post photos mostly by accident. I ended up taking the altar picture on my phone, posting it to facebook, and then copying it from fb to my computer. I have the Mexican ceramic suns, representing fire energy, the South, warrior energy, and my guide. The dragonfly represents the ancestors, the sea shells the West, the ocean, water, and the Ifa orisha, Yemoja, where women go to be healed. And a bowl of crystal, for Mother Earth, the shell mat is from Palau, a place I love, the feathers represent the element air, and because I love feathers, and there's a bund of sage from my back yard wrapped in some sweet grass a friend gave me. On the wall is a pencil drawing of a Native American a friend did and gave to me, that represents my Native American heritage and a spiritual tradition I love.

I love the whimsicality of your unintended home altar, but ugh, a picked camel spider? You need to post a picture of it! The altar, not just the spider. Please don't post a pic of just the spider.

Edited by Beany

Thank you for showing your altar, Beany. The seashells placemat looks lovely. Are those Mexican sun and moon ceramics? They're beautiful. They remind me to put up my suncatchers, but I'm still settling in -- one step at a time.

zsuncatch2.jpg

zsuncatch1.jpg

Is that a jar of sea salt?

Peace.

Those are beautiful! How long have you been collecting? I collect suns and dragonflies, they're special to me and beautiful additions to the altar.

Edited by Beany

This area is not only sacred to me, it has been a place of rich importance for many thousands of years.

You have been blessed, indeed. :)

Those are beautiful! How long have you been collecting? I collect suns and dragonflies, they're special to me and beautiful additions to the altar.

I'm glad you find them beautiful, Beany. Unfortunately, I don't have a dragonfly -- I've never seen one available. Luna and Z Fabrique in Long Beach carry some interesting suncatchers. Art For The Soul and Visions & Dreams and various online artists also have cool things. I actually stopped buying suncatchers after I moved in to my new home because of space issue. I don't have enough patio room and windows. I like my new neighbors, however. They love crystals, suncatchers, and my few remaining plants. People in generals seem to like suncatchers; they put smiles on their faces. I've given away some to my nextdoor neighbor...

zzsunc2.jpg

zzsunc1.jpg

Peace.

• Like 1