Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1,000-Year-Old Muslim Joke Book Found

Karlis

Authored by al-Khatib al-Baghdadi, a well known scholar of the Prophet Mohammed's teachings

"This book, which contains flirtation, profanity, and even a little drunkenness, is a lot of fun and offers a rather different perspective to the austere image Islam has from that period. The reality is that the Baghdad of 1,000 years ago was actually rather Bohemian -- it wasn't perfect by any means -- but not the violent and repressive society you might imagine it was."

Here are some of the jokes:

Once a man crashed another man's party. "Who are you?" the host asked him. "I'm the one who saved you the trouble of sending an invitation!" he replied.

A party-crasher walked into a gathering, and they said to him, "Nobody invited you!" "But if you didn't invite me and I didn't come," he replied, "think how lonely that would be!"

Once a party-crasher walked in the house of a man who had invited a gathering of people. "Hey, you!" the man said. "Did I say you could come?" "Did you say I couldn't come?" the party crasher replied.

Source

• Like 3

I like the first one! :lol:... the one who saved you the trouble of sending an invitation.

• Like 2

Oh my .This will offend so many Muslims ,and they can't kill anyone,since they said it,and dude was a best buddy of Mohammad.

Ohhh dearrrrr.

• Like 1

well it just shows, 1000 years ago and they were having parties and had gatecrashers. wonder if they turned up with a bottle too?

mind you when i read the title i thought it was meant the koran, then realised the dates wrong.

• Like 1

hehe.. to be honest, iv'e heard funnier jokes... Maybe they're funnier in Arabic? .. but jokes are good things, so i like em. :lol:

• Like 1

1000 years ago Islam was pretty liberal and the Islamic societies thriving. Can't compare it with the narrow minded and mostly fanatical Islam in most places of the world of our days.

They sound Jewish, seriously, particulary the last one

Guess I will get stoned for such heresy now :whistle:

• Like 1

This is great, shows a better side to life 1000 years ago, is there a copy of this book anywhere? I think it would be interesting.

• Like 1

maybe it's the desert air which fosters such DRYYYYYYY humor? .. I hope they had more than just the one joke, about party crashers? .. there's just something extremely funny about those jokes verging so precariously on being not funny !?

* -s

Edited by lightly

Achmed! That is all! XD

And not one mention as to who probably prepared the "Party" in silence!

Edited by xCrimsonx

These should be added to Sharia Law.

These should be added to Sharia Law.

What and stoned?

I find it ridiculous that some people have such a general stereo type and cliched view of Muslims and their society, views propagated and perpetuated by the media!

Iraq and baghdad at that time were shining beacons of civilisation, intergrated society of Jews, Christians, Muslims, mainly and a melting pot of different people from all over the Islamic empire etc. They were in somewhat a bohemian state, as they neglected their state and religious duties, became lavish etc. Hence why the tartar invasion destroyed them with ease, totally unprepared defensively, focused more on lavish living, science, art etc. Unfortunately in that invasion the Baghdad library was destroyed which contained hundreds and thousands if books on science, history, maths, philosophy, art, etc etc etc Greek works, persain, Indian as well other literature.

So surely they had a laugh too and it's no surprise they wrote jokes and poetry etc.

I find it ridiculous that some people have such a general stereo type and cliched view of Muslims and their society,

I do not stereotype muslims who live in muslim countries.

But I do not understand why people can not understand that in certain areas which are not in muslim countries, the muslims have decided that they do not and will not intergrate with the rest of society.

I find it ridiculous that this can happen and we are expected to bend over backwards in our countries while they blatantly do not want to or believe in diversity.

• Like 1