Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Winter Depression Not as Common as Many Think

depression sad affective disorders seasonal clinically diagnosed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,020 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

In a study recently published online in the Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers found that neither time of year nor weather conditions influenced depressive symptoms. However, lead author David Kerr of Oregon State University said this study does not negate the existence of clinically diagnosed seasonal affective disorder, also known as SAD, but instead shows that people may be overestimating the impact that seasons have on depression in the general population.

http://www.scienceda...t Science News)

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,450 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

No, I think it's been largely displaced by Summertime Sadness.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,021 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm certainly never depressed during the winter! Winter is my favourite season. In perfect contrast to my girlfriend who loves summer. LOL

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

I'm actually noticeably more so depressed in the winter season..

Maybe, personally, melancholy weather affects my moods to also be melancholy?

Perhaps it's because the stillness of winter allows me deeper contemplation..

The quietness of everything promotes clearer thought.

Good to see it's not the weather to blame - it's just good old natural depression.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#5    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm affected by SAD. Clinically so.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'd imagine its more of an affect of what you have to do. In bad weather you are stuck in the house all the time. This depresses me for sure. It might not have anything to do with the weather more tge secondary affects. Cabin fever is very real and is probably an extension of this particular phenomenon.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 28 August 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

I'd imagine its more of an affect of what you have to do. In bad weather you are stuck in the house all the time. This depresses me for sure. It might not have anything to do with the weather more tge secondary affects. Cabin fever is very real and is probably an extension of this particular phenomenon.

I like this..

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#8    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,767 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

I love the winter months,  but I still usually catch a bit of the blues about February.  For me it's the lack of sunshine.  Constant grey skies and total darkness by 4:30pm everyday gets old quick.  
People are so much nicer, noticeably so, on the days that the sun finally does manage to shine for a bit.

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,450 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think my favourite time is late summer/beginning of Autumn. it's not so hot, and the leaves are beginning to turn nice colours, and there's halloween and, a bit further off, Christmas to look forward to. I do agree that after new year it can be a bit of a drag, particularly if, as it often is, it's the coldest time of the year around Jan/Feb, with bitter Easterly winds.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

View Postsarah_444, on 28 August 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I love the winter months,  but I still usually catch a bit of the blues about February.  For me it's the lack of sunshine.  Constant grey skies and total darkness by 4:30pm everyday gets old quick.  
People are so much nicer, noticeably so, on the days that the sun finally does manage to shine for a bit.
There are other things to do in bad weather to keep your spirits up, and the skew in birth rates 9-10 months after a really bad winters proves it. :D

Edited by White Crane Feather, 28 August 2013 - 07:05 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users