Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Close up picture of Venus

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it. Venus is perpetually blanketed by a thick veil of clouds high in carbon dioxide and its surface temperature approaches 900 degrees Fahrenheit.

http://www.nasa.gov/...ature_2443.html

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it.
You missed out the bit about this picture being taken by Mariner 10 in 1974.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 February 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

lol. Well its NASAs picture of the day so I thought... :blush:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 February 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

LOL

Excuse me Waspie, is this still what we expect a human eye would see, say if in a ship in orbit of Venus? My view with a telescope is quite different.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#5    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

hahahahaaa.....better you give us a 1974 pic of venus than a 2013 photo of Uranus! :w00t:

Edited by Jacques Terreur, 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 06 February 2013 - 08:03 AM, said:

Excuse me Waspie, is this still what we expect a human eye would see, say if in a ship in orbit of Venus? My view with a telescope is quite different.

To be honest I don't know why they mean when they said:

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out Venus's cloudy atmosphere as the human eye would see it.

I uploaded this image to the UM gallery earlier yesterday and the caption confused me then, it is highly ambiguous. Looking through the NASA web sites it looks as if that caption dates back several years, and me even be contempary to the image release.

The image is a false colour UV image and certainly not how the human eye would see it. To the human eye Venus' clouds have a bland, almost uniform appearance as seen in this image taken by MESSENGER on 5th June 2007:

Posted Image

I wonder if the way to interpret that caption is:

Made using an ultraviolet filter in its imaging system, the photo has been color-enhanced to bring out more detail in Venus's cloudy atmosphere compared to how the human eye would see it.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Waspie this is offtopic. How come that tiny icy moon Enceladus have melted craters?

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

Waspie this is offtopic. How come that tiny icy moon Enceladus have melted craters?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by melted craters, but Enceladus is geologically active. Below the solid surface is a liquid ocean. This liquid often breaks through to the surface and has been observed by Cassini as massive geysers. This will resurface Enceladus, covering up older features.

There are several threads on this if you wish to read more:

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Posted Image

But thanks for links. I will look at them.

#10    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Its like they were once craters and that they melted like wax. Like it was near sun or some heat...

#11    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

Its like they were once craters and that they melted like wax. Like it was near sun or some heat...

Right, I'm with you. This is due to the internal heat which is generated by tidal forces between Saturn and Enceladus. It is the same effect that drives the volcanoes on Io, forms a liquid sea under the ice on Europa and causes the cryovolcanoes on Triton.

Posted Image
Click on button

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Right, I'm with you. This is due to the internal heat which is generated by tidal forces between Saturn and Enceladus. It is the same effect that drives the volcanoes on Io, forms a liquid sea under the ice on Europa and causes the cryovolcanoes on Triton.

Do you belive there is ET life in our solar system? If so where?

#13    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

Do you belive there is ET life in our solar system? If so where?
You have taken this far enough off topic already. Let's not go down the ET route when there is a whole forum for that.

Posted Image
Click on button

#14    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Let's not go down the ET route when there is a whole forum for that.

Yes but I cant never caught you in ET subforum.

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postthe L, on 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

Yes but I cant never caught you in ET subforum.
And you probably never will. Now is there any chance of this thread returning to being on topic, which is the planet Venus?

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users