Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should/do christians join in with Halloween?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

It's just another "Hallmark" holiday here.  It would have faded out many years ago but for the commercial aspect of it.  Every retail outlet pushing candy and costumes.  Participation has definately declined over the last couple of decades.  Every year there are fewer and fewer kids at the door.
There are enough loonies drawn out by it.  In my city and in many others, animal shelters, pet stores, adoption centres refuse to sell or give away black cats, ducks, or rabbits in the days prior to it.
I think for the most part it has lost any spiritual meaning for most people.
Personally, I have nothing to do with it.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#17    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostBling, on 08 October 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

I think the christian faith seems to have lightened up about it, but it did used to be frowned upon because of the perceived connection with the dark side.....

But I think it was also annoyance at yet another special, spiritual occasion being hi-jacked and trivialised. Originally it was a night when people gathered together and remembered the deceased.

Edited by ouija ouija, 08 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#18    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 08 October 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

But I think it was also annoyance at yet another special, spiritual occasion being hi-jacked and trivialised. Originally it was a night when people gathered together and remembered the deceased.

It was originally pagan though.

#19    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

some christians observe hallowe'en as a harmless bit of fun and some take it literally as an evil thing.
yawn
maybe it's origins are something darker, but that isn't even relevant in today's society. now it's just a bunch of kids having fun getting free candy.

#20    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wasn't allowed to celebrate it when I was involved in religion and as I grew up with a christian family.....but now I love it and we're having a party and going on a ghost walk.....maybe we should use the ouija board then too. :devil:

#21    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

View PostBling, on 08 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I wasn't allowed to celebrate it when I was involved in religion and as I grew up with a christian family.....but now I love it and we're having a party and going on a ghost walk.....maybe we should use the ouija board then too. :devil:

My ears were burning ........ what are you planning to use me for exactly?

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#22    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 08 October 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

My ears were burning ........ what are you planning to use me for exactly?

:clap:

Don't worry I'll be gentle!

#23    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Here's a fun (and slightly educational) thing that happens here on Halloween. Pioneer cemeteries give tours of grave sites and have actors portray the dead person in the ground below. The actor tells us the real story of their horrific death -- gun shots, ax murder, boiler explosion, horse trampling and so on. Each grave is only lit by two candles for maximum spook effect and the most of the actors do a great job speaking in the mannerisms of over a century ago. Occasionally the actor will get just enough light to reveal that they're wearing deathly make up too.

#24    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

View Postscowl, on 08 October 2012 - 07:34 PM, said:

Here's a fun (and slightly educational) thing that happens here on Halloween. Pioneer cemeteries give tours of grave sites and have actors portray the dead person in the ground below. The actor tells us the real story of their horrific death -- gun shots, ax murder, boiler explosion, horse trampling and so on. Each grave is only lit by two candles for maximum spook effect and the most of the actors do a great job speaking in the mannerisms of over a century ago. Occasionally the actor will get just enough light to reveal that they're wearing deathly make up too.

I'd go just for the fun of it!

#25    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,802 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

It is a Pagan holiday, so that is all up to y'all, but all store clerks  should have to say blessed Samhain when I go into the store. :santa:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#26    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,731 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I replied to this topic but now don't see my post... were there two of these?? hmmm maybe I'm blind...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#27    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,731 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Yeah my post is gone... It was an eloquent account of my Christian experiences with Holloween. Perhaps I will have to come back and tell it again. Is it often that posts dissapear on here?

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#28    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

It's not any different than me, an Atheist, participating in Christmas. It is one of the biggest parties of the year for us...with no God brought into it at all. It's a time to have fun and be with the people you love.

#29    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 October 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Yeah my post is gone... It was an eloquent account of my Christian experiences with Holloween. Perhaps I will have to come back and tell it again. Is it often that posts dissapear on here?

Sometimes whole threads disappear. PM a mod and they can answer your question.

#30    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostSpiritWriter, on 09 October 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Maybe you put it in another thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users