Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Mushrushu


  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1    catutie

catutie

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada

  • wait there looking at this....hurry say somthing smart..........................

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

The Ishtar Gate of the ancient city of Babylon dates to the reign of Nebuchadnezzer II, around 580 B.C. The bas-reliefs which decorate the gate include two known animals -- the lion and the wild ox -- and one unknown animal, a dragon. Originally the word for this animal was read as sirrush, but now mushrushu is the accepted form. If the mushrushu ever were a living animal, it apparently is now extinct.

Some cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu is the same animal as the Biblical Behemoth and the "dragon" which King Nebuchadnezzar kept in the temple of the god Bel according to the story in the apocryphal tale of Bel and the Dragon. In that tale Nebuchadnezzar confronted Daniel with the Bel dragon. Daniel killed it.

Other cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu may have been a specimen of mokele-mbembe, a sauropod-like animal said to inhabit the Congo area. Another candidate is a giant monitor lizard like the Komodo Dragon.

Forget the story of David and Golith now its David and the Mustrushu grin2.gif


#2    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

catutie on Jan 30 2009, 07:49 PM, said:

The Ishtar Gate of the ancient city of Babylon dates to the reign of Nebuchadnezzer II, around 580 B.C. The bas-reliefs which decorate the gate include two known animals -- the lion and the wild ox -- and one unknown animal, a dragon. Originally the word for this animal was read as sirrush, but now mushrushu is the accepted form. If the mushrushu ever were a living animal, it apparently is now extinct.

Some cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu is the same animal as the Biblical Behemoth and the "dragon" which King Nebuchadnezzar kept in the temple of the god Bel according to the story in the apocryphal tale of Bel and the Dragon. In that tale Nebuchadnezzar confronted Daniel with the Bel dragon. Daniel killed it.

Other cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu may have been a specimen of mokele-mbembe, a sauropod-like animal said to inhabit the Congo area. Another candidate is a giant monitor lizard like the Komodo Dragon.

Forget the story of David and Golith now its David and the Mustrushu grin2.gif


Mushrushus are some of the earliest 'gods' of Mesopotamia and like the dragons of China, supposedly taught early man the trapping of civilization.  Long before the Book of Daniel was written, they had a great impact in the Bible.  The reason Yahweh Himself is described with wings, fiery, breth, and had a fiery flying serpent idol stems from the exploits of Enki, proclaimed in his hymns as the "Great Serpent Dragon of Heaven", builder of the Garden of Eden, the deity that warned Noah of the Flood, and the thwarter of the humans building the tower of Babel.  After centuries of retelling the tales arround their campfires, the serpent dragon who was a god who tricked Adam out of eternal life, and made man from clay, became a mere serpent, and ultimately, turned into "the Devil" by Christianity.

Most Christian denominations and Judaism itself dismisses the Bel and the Dragon story as a fairytale and  it is not Canon. At face value it is quite stupid, and written so long after the real event of the Babylonian captivity, that they even got the name of the King wrong!  

But one thing these much later storytellers did know was that monuments of Marduk (Bel) often depicted him riding on the back of a Mushrushu dragon, or having one at his side like an obedient pet.  (Yahweh is even depicted riding on the back of a similar dragon in early bibles, suggesting that his firery breath and huge wings belong to his 'mount' and not their God).  So it was not a stretch to think there was one in his temple since all of the ancient peoples acknowledged dragons as flesh and blood creatures.  The reason the Mushrushu is at Marduk's side was probably an allusion to the fact he was supposed to be the son of Enki, the "great serpent dragon of eden", and today, Christianity's devil and red dragon of revelation.

Curiously, Muhrushu are  depicted with wings as deities, but those on the Ishtar gate are wingless, possibly meaning they are only 'sacred' animals.


#3    Archosaur

Archosaur

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Joined:01 May 2007

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

On Bel and the Dragon, my personal theory is that the story was referring to a temple crocodile (a commonplace feature Egypt and some neighboring countries). This makes the story more sensible, as a domesticated croc would be used to being fed by people, and the priests might have thought Daniel dumb enough to wrestle the croc. Dragons, and other mystical reptile figures of the time, were frequently associated with wisdom, so it seems unlikely such a creature would eat a toxic mass of tar and sulfu in a legend.

As for mushushu, the progenitor serpent-dragon, Tiamat, was described as the mother of the gods, so it is safe to say that many of the gods of that period were considered at least half-dragon.





#4    louis_last

louis_last

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Joined:28 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

  • A lie isn't a side of a story. It's just a lie.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

did I also read somewhere that some Chinese emperors are recorded as having pet dragons and there was supposedly people who made careers as 'official dragon handlers' in china back in ye olde times.

money doesn't have owners, just spenders.

#5    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

louis_last on Jan 31 2009, 11:19 AM, said:

did I also read somewhere that some Chinese emperors are recorded as having pet dragons and there was supposedly people who made careers as 'official dragon handlers' in china back in ye olde times.


Not pets.  Chinese Dragons were weather controlling gods that if angered, were believed to cause terrible storms or drought.  Yes, there were official civil servants to take care of visiting dragons, and lists of dignitaries allowed to fly on their backs.  There is one account of a dragon being given a keg of wine for helping move a junk off of a sand bar.



#6    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:05 PM

Archosaur on Jan 31 2009, 10:22 AM, said:

On Bel and the Dragon, my personal theory is that the story was referring to a temple crocodile (a commonplace feature Egypt and some neighboring countries). This makes the story more sensible, as a domesticated croc would be used to being fed by people, and the priests might have thought Daniel dumb enough to wrestle the croc. Dragons, and other mystical reptile figures of the time, were frequently associated with wisdom, so it seems unlikely such a creature would eat a toxic mass of tar and sulfu in a legend.

As for mushushu, the progenitor serpent-dragon, Tiamat, was described as the mother of the gods, so it is safe to say that many of the gods of that period were considered at least half-dragon.



I woudn't even give the story that much credit because the writers did not even know who the king was at that time.  It was Cyrus, NOT Darius.  Most historians agree it was written hundreds of years after the actual Babylonian captivity.

The story is actually quite ludicrous if you think about it.  The King states the dragon is a god, yet risks its wrath by letting a foreign prisoner attempt to poison it?  And even as a valuable temple "pet", it would be no feat to poison a trusting animal, and this  in a culture of royal tasters and attempted poisionings?  It is no wonder most Christian denominations and the Jews themselves dismiss it as a ridiculous fairytale and keep it out of the Bible.

The interesting thing about it though is that there may have memories of those distant times when they were in Babylon and stories  of a 'dragon' that did live in a temple sacred to Marduk and his dragon "father'.  Perhaps it was merely a crocodile, or perhaps it was a living Mushrushu, as a crocodile does not look like a Mushrushu and any travelers would know that a crocodile is a mere animal and not a god.  But I doubt the Hebrews, including Daniel, as 'unbelievers' would have even been allowed into the  Babylonian temples, just as their temple was off limits to pagans.


#7    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

    My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

  • Member
  • 6,293 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male

  • The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:29 PM

catutie on Jan 31 2009, 01:49 AM, said:

The Ishtar Gate of the ancient city of Babylon dates to the reign of Nebuchadnezzer II, around 580 B.C. The bas-reliefs which decorate the gate include two known animals -- the lion and the wild ox -- and one unknown animal, a dragon. Originally the word for this animal was read as sirrush, but now mushrushu is the accepted form. If the mushrushu ever were a living animal, it apparently is now extinct.

Some cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu is the same animal as the Biblical Behemoth and the "dragon" which King Nebuchadnezzar kept in the temple of the god Bel according to the story in the apocryphal tale of Bel and the Dragon. In that tale Nebuchadnezzar confronted Daniel with the Bel dragon. Daniel killed it.

Other cryptozoologists suggest the mushrushu may have been a specimen of mokele-mbembe, a sauropod-like animal said to inhabit the Congo area. Another candidate is a giant monitor lizard like the Komodo Dragon.

Forget the story of David and Golith now its David and the Mustrushu grin2.gif


It would be helpful if you supplied links to the story so members can see the source of the post?

Posted Image

#8    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:57 AM

Ohelemapit on Jan 31 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

It would be helpful if you supplied links to the story so members can see the source of the post?



Bel and the Dragon is easy to find, and Catholic Bibles have it and other Apocryphal works between the old and new testaments.


#9    catutie

catutie

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada

  • wait there looking at this....hurry say somthing smart..........................

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

ohelemapit...................all i found was that info...................nothing that DC or anyone else said lol laugh.gif


#10    The Maharaja

The Maharaja

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Joined:22 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:a galaxy far far away

  • If you let life dictate to you it will kick you every time if you dictate to it it will salute you and call you sir

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:57 PM

louis_last on Jan 31 2009, 06:19 PM, said:

did I also read somewhere that some Chinese emperors are recorded as having pet dragons and there was supposedly people who made careers as 'official dragon handlers' in china back in ye olde times.

crocodiles not dragons


#11    captain pish

captain pish

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Joined:21 Sep 2005

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Id just like to make one think abundantly clear. There are or were no such things as dragons. Kimodo dragons, yes, Or other reptiles that looked like or were mistaken for dragons, but there never was any such animal that could breathe fire, fly or as DC ridiculously suggests, change the weather! its a mythical creature and a thing of folklore and legend like the minotaur, loch ness monster and mothman. There never has or never will be a shred of evidence to suggest that they did exist, no fossils, no teeth, no living relatives, no photographs or video footage. Dragons are nothing more than legend.


#12    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:54 PM

captain pish on Feb 1 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Id just like to make one think abundantly clear. There are or were no such things as dragons. Kimodo dragons, yes, Or other reptiles that looked like or were mistaken for dragons, but there never was any such animal that could breathe fire, fly or as DC ridiculously suggests, change the weather! its a mythical creature and a thing of folklore and legend like the minotaur, loch ness monster and mothman. There never has or never will be a shred of evidence to suggest that they did exist, no fossils, no teeth, no living relatives, no photographs or video footage. Dragons are nothing more than legend.


Lets also make it abundantly clear that this is merely your opinion.  The thousands of sightings of large reptiian creatures, usually in bodies of water, and many photos of such that have not been determined fakes, could very easily be the creatures our ancestors regarded as "dragons".

There is really nothing impossible about such creatures.  Humans can spew fire from their mouths, there is no reason a 'dragon' couldn't do the same if furnished with a suitable, flammable beverage.

The largest skull of any land vertebrate belongs to a pterossaur large enough to swallow an adult human whole.

Even if they could not control the weather, an intelligent flying creature could certainly make it seem that it could control the weather to ancient man.  

Parrots can speak human dialects and some seem to actually know what the words mean.

So the only evidence that dragons do not exists is lack of evidence of their remains.  But this is very weak because new animals are being discovered all the time, and new dinosaurs as well for which no fossils had been found of them before.

There is really far more evidence for dragons, given their world wide acceptance as living animals for thousands of years, and possible eyewitness accounts all the time, than there is for the Biblical "God", which quite ironically, has many characteristics that suggests this deity is a "dragon" as well. Some of the world's most brilliant scientists and BILLIONS of other people, believe in this God with far less evidence than there has been for dragons.

Intelligent creatures could very easily avoid detection, and hide the remains of their dead.  And the legends all over the world all state these are intelligent creatures.


#13    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Banned
  • 6,229 posts
  • Joined:27 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

The Maharaja on Feb 1 2009, 11:57 AM, said:

crocodiles not dragons


The ancient Chinese were remarkably advanced for their times, and were also sophisticated enough to realize the difference between crocodilians and intelligent, flying dragons.  They even depict these creatures differently in their art to remove all doubt.      



#14    catutie

catutie

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, Nevada

  • wait there looking at this....hurry say somthing smart..........................

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

captain............there still are dragons...i cant remember what i was watching but it was on the discovery channel and they said that high in the mountains there were dragon like creatures that swam in the rivers and some could even blow smoke..........so good by to your logic lol thumbsup.gif laugh.gif


#15    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,628 posts
  • Joined:19 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aotearoa

  • What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

The sirrush is merely a mythological beast carved into an ancient wall by ancient peoples. There is no physical evidence that such a creature ever actually existed.

Jesus, I was evil




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users