Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What do you think this is?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 23 December 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

Hmmmmmm.

Any chance of seeing the originals, exactly as they were saved onto the memory card, including exif?  (I'm happy to supply an email address by pm.)

Sure, but only half of the photo, because if you imply I’ve manipulated my photos, then I’m implying you would like to steal my work.

The resolution in the original post should be more than enough for a professional photographer (or convincing amateur) to tell me what known defect that is, is it (obviously rare) physical phenomenon or equipment malfunction.
Speaking of which, the camera is new Olympus VG-110, had Olympus mjus before and classic Olympuses, never caught anything like that in thousands of photos, classic or digital. I caught various other stuff, more or less common and explained, I know what various common effects and malfunctions look like. This is not that common.
For example, I wouldn't post a photo with an orb in this section, since they are easily explained with droplets or particles in the air or on the lens. I wouldn't post regular breath or smoke effects (note I posted one with smoke to show how much the anomaly is not like it). I wouldn't post red glow photos from classic film, it's just the exposure. And so on. So I'm not an idiot.

Not a hoaxer either, though I'm aware that If anyone doubts the originality of the photo, we can only keep repeating ourselves - you can keep repeating you suspect I’ve manipulated them, I can keep repeating I didn’t. Because even the data from the memory card is fakeable, you know.

So the discussion makes sense only if you can trust me I didn’t change anything. I absolutely do understand some of us would like it to be breath, some of us would like it to be ectoplasm and the only thing I know for sure is that I’m not sure what it is. Except I’m sure no one tampered the photo.
(Whole original would be at disposal to professionals, but I think they already had a lot of such anomalies in hands. Since it wasn’t written about, they probably haven’t explained them. Yet. Like I said before, I’m not an idiot, I’m only not religiously materialist.)

View Postthe L, on 23 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I wonder did you hear any sound of the airplanes...Maybe its chemtrail. Maybe you are now contaminated. Did anyone said to you lately that you are changed? Did you noticed anything uncoommon? They say that first sign of contamination is music: Jingle bells, jingle bells. Second is that horns of the reindeer start to grow from your head...So if you find yourself naked in the forest, with bells around your neck, eating needles from the pine tree,  you might search for mirror. But thats just speculation. :santa:

You seriously have to cut on whatever that is that you’re using :lol:

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 23 December 2012 - 11:06 AM.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#47    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 23 December 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

You seriously have to cut on whatever that is that you’re using :lol:

To stop using Vrbnička žlahtina in Christmas time?Hm...I would rather stop using UM.

Dont get me wrong. I see it as condesation. I try to gave you alternative- Chemtrail.

Edited by the L, 23 December 2012 - 11:47 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#48    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postthe L, on 23 December 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

To stop using Vrbnička žlahtina in Christmas time?Hm...I would rather stop using UM.

Dont get me wrong. I see it as condesation. I try to gave you alternative- Chemtrail.

You can see what qualifies as chemtrails quite often in this area, thin layer of artificial clouds across the sky as far as you can see, with visible original trails dissolving more than slow. Though it’s explainable with right combination of air traffic and atmospheric situation, I’m not sure what’s the whole, true story. It probably is just a combo of nothing that matters, except that making artificial cloud layer does matter, accidental or not, vapour or more than just vapour. But I wouldn’t faint if it was an actual project with actual agenda, from influencing weather to deforestation or depopulation or immunisation, for that matter, who the **** knows, and were there any sane people in power ever?  

In short, neither there were planes at the time photo was taken, nor I caught similar anomaly on any chemtrail day.  
It’s not chemtrail.
Could be condensation, but I still wait for a physicist or a photographer (or a convincing amateur) to explain how, why so rare etc.

Posted Image

#49    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 23 December 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

You can see what qualifies as chemtrails quite often in this area, thin layer of artificial clouds across the sky as far as you can see, with visible original trails dissolving more than slow. Though it’s explainable with right combination of air traffic and atmospheric situation, I’m not sure what’s the whole, true story. It probably is just a combo of nothing that matters, except that making artificial cloud layer does matter, accidental or not, vapour or more than just vapour. But I wouldn’t faint if it was an actual project with actual agenda, from influencing weather to deforestation or depopulation or immunisation, for that matter, who the **** knows, and were there any sane people in power ever?  

In short, neither there were planes at the time photo was taken, nor I caught similar anomaly on any chemtrail day.  
It’s not chemtrail.
Could be condensation, but I still wait for a physicist or a photographer (or a convincing amateur) to explain how, why so rare etc.
What a penetrating post...
Thats why I said earlier that you are "dragon" lady.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#50    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,208 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 23 December 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Sure, but only half of the photo, because if you imply I’ve manipulated my photos, then I’m implying you would like to steal my work.
Gee, thanks for the implication.  I withdraw my offer and I won't be biting on your posts again.

To use your words..  You seriously think those images are valuable?  Good luck with your sales pitch..

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#51    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 23 December 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Gee, thanks for the implication.  I withdraw my offer and I won't be biting on your posts again.

To use your words..  You seriously think those images are valuable?  Good luck with your sales pitch..

It’s never about money in my case, but it is about authorship.
What the eff else would you need the original card file for?
Ask for original resolution photo and I’ll post it instantly. Asking for email exchange or my original files is kinda intrusive, you know. If I wanted my privacy plastered on the ‘net, I’d be on eff-book.

Posted Image

#52    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=239826

#53    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postthe L, on 23 December 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Not applicable to the Spirit of Winter, but has a lot to do with those awful grainy scans I’ve posted later in the thread :yes:
Either it’s tubular semi-transparent structure invisible to a naked eye, either it’s something zooming too damn fast for a bug.
Speaking of bugs, I have a lot of photos with more or less silly effects created by bugs, but each is clearly a bug or a bug trail upon closer inspection. Or it’s possible to stretch it and say it’s probably a bug. Only these spirals defy any explanation. (In my opinion, of course.)

That reminds me... I remember the first time I caught the tip of my own finger in a photo, by mistake of course. It was ages ago, when first compact (or “toy” as I call them) cameras came. It’s a lot harder to stick a finger in front of real camera lens, but it’s no problem with tiny compacts. So I was all puzzled with huge oval dark and kinda pink on the edge thing that ate half the photo. For about 5 seconds or less, which is how long it takes to explain the obvious, even if you see it for the first time.
I also have few nice anomalies that are really just plain camera straps, up close and totally unwanted. That’s why none of my cameras has any straps attached, since 1980s. I want my anomalies pristine!

Posted Image

#54    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 22 December 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

That's actually very interesting, because I have taken many photos over the years(including of churchyards and very old buildings), and I can't remember ever having one with a 'glitch' in it! Absolutely nothing that made me say: 'What is that? Where did that come from?'. Sooo ........ are all yours glitches? *cue spooky music*

I've shot pictures in snow and fog and rain. I've used 35mm film cameras, digital cameras with small sensors, and now digital cameras with 35mm sensors. I've taken lots of pictures where fog, bugs, drops of water, light from the viewfinder, flare from light sources, and random objects like cotton seeds close to the lens have made something that looked like a ghost (a white splotch like this one) in the image. I never considered these pictures to be paranormal. I considered them ruined.

In the days of film we had the extra factor of sloppy processing and leaky cameras. My Canon AE-1 had a gasket around the body back that crumbed after a few years. If the conditions were right, bright light could leak into the mirror box and add some interesting images to the photo. Ever wondered why infrared film caught so many ghosts back in the 70's and 80's? I think it's because you needed to load the film in complete darkness. Many photographers didn't do this and the first one or two shots would have splotches of light that leaked into the canister.

#55    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postscowl, on 23 December 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

I've shot pictures in snow and fog and rain. I've used 35mm film cameras, digital cameras with small sensors, and now digital cameras with 35mm sensors. I've taken lots of pictures where fog, bugs, drops of water, light from the viewfinder, flare from light sources, and random objects like cotton seeds close to the lens have made something that looked like a ghost (a white splotch like this one) in the image. I never considered these pictures to be paranormal. I considered them ruined.

In the days of film we had the extra factor of sloppy processing and leaky cameras. My Canon AE-1 had a gasket around the body back that crumbed after a few years. If the conditions were right, bright light could leak into the mirror box and add some interesting images to the photo. Ever wondered why infrared film caught so many ghosts back in the 70's and 80's? I think it's because you needed to load the film in complete darkness. Many photographers didn't do this and the first one or two shots would have splotches of light that leaked into the canister.
Do you still keep any of your ruined photos?

I’d love to compare my splotch with yours.
I’d also appreciate any explanation for that particular type of splotch. Is it bug or drop then, flare or seed, it’s just too general statement, comes down to splotch is a splotch, something caused it, amen.

Posted Image

#56    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 23 December 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Do you still keep any of your ruined photos?

I have over a million photos backed up on nearly a thousand DVD's. I don't tag unusable photos (only the ones people want) so they wouldn't be easy to find.

Here's one I took with my leaky AE-1:

Posted Image

#57    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thank you, scowl.
Though I think I was clear about leaks and other obvious technical glitches. I know what most common faults look like, the splotch that’s puzzling me (photo from my original post) is definitely not a leak, not to re-elaborate why.
By the way, I have few wonderful leaks in colour photos that make photographed person look like they’re standing in teleporter beam to hell, but nothing paranormal about it, of course.

Anything splotchy that would match my splotch from the OP? You don't have to post a photo, just give me your opinion. (I bet you'll say condensation :D and you bet I'll say no way, condensation doesn't look angular :D)

Posted Image

#58    Xeaphon

Xeaphon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 15 December 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

it looks like snowy mist stuff that gets blown in the wind to me. Atleast that happens during winter here sometimes

Yep, probably this.

#59    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,884 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

View PostXeaphon, on 31 December 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yep, probably this.

Thank you for taking a look, but no, definitely not that.
Snow was very obviously falling but there was no significant wind. I also posted (in the beginning of this thread) a photo with snow falling off branches, to show how it looks like – not at all like the anomaly.
Temperature was just below zero Celsius (duh, it wouldn’t be snow but rain if it was any higher) and my breath wasn’t visible like it sometimes is in low temperatures and/or high humidity. Camera is digital, so I'm not huffing and puffing directly at it, I usually hold it on lightly bent arms' lenght.

In short, I’ve exhausted all common explanations and that’s why I posted the photo, to see if there are any less common explanations. (I admit, secretly hoping there are none and my anomaly is the Spirit of Winter :D )
So, I’m not giving it up easy, but I promised I will accept convincing rational explanation and I stick to that.

Posted Image

#60    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 24 December 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Anything splotchy that would match my splotch from the OP? You don't have to post a photo, just give me your opinion. (I bet you'll say condensation :D and you bet I'll say no way, condensation doesn't look angular :D)

One thing about condensation on the lens is that it can be lit up in unexpected ways. In the original photo it looks like the fog on the right roughly matches the snow on the tree on the left. There can also be condensation on the sensor which can have other effects.

Whenever you're taking pictures out in the cold and they come out foggy, condensation is usually the explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users