Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Time travel

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#16    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,010 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 30 December 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

I'm curious what your reasoning is on that? To the past would be more likely since it's already happened, it's the future that hasn't happened yet. How can you go to a place that doesn't exist yet?

Just curious.

yeh but the argument is...to time travel you need a method...but going to the past is tricky as the method you're using didn't exist then... but going to the future, means there was a method in the past...to go back to..

ie: you can only time travel - from and to  - the time the  'method' was created..

kinda makes, sense, specially if you're stoned..

Edited by seeder, 30 December 2012 - 05:00 AM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#17    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,640 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

seeder hit the nail on the head,the more stoned the less it hurts, the less one needs to answer to any actual event Horizons ! Or said Fist in the apex of the roads.
Now figure out who quoted that And I`lll buy everyone a B.B.Q sandwich ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#18    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Well true, it helps to be stoned.

However, the fatal flaw in the logic is that time travel is dependent on the point at which the time machine was invented or came into being. That's like saying you can't drive on an Interstate highway unless you enter at the beginning of the highway or some specific on ramp nowhere close to you.

However, if you really want to have a super-great pseudo-scientific discussion next time you're burning a fat one, try this on for size:

UFO.........they are aliens.....Dude.....their time travelers from the future. They come back to fill in data and stuff.....

Not that I've ever gotten stoned and gotten into one of these discussions you understand.......

Edited by keninsc, 30 December 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#19    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,133 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 29 December 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

I think time travel to the past is just as possible as time traveling to the future. Past and Future are to equal distant points from the perspective of the present moment.
Time dilation would be the closest to time travel but only into the future.

#20    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

You've been watch too much "Stargate SG-1".

:whistle:

#21    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,133 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

You've been watch too much "Stargate SG-1".

:whistle:
My comment had nothing to do with stargate.

#22    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Uh-huh.

Lighten up mate, I couldn't resist.

:w00t:

#23    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 29 December 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

This topic doesn't seem to me to be quite right for the Space Exploration and Spaceflight, so I am going to move it to the Science & Technology forum.

This nonsense has nothing to do with "science and technology". Move it to "conspiracy" please.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#24    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 30 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

This nonsense has nothing to do with "science and technology". Move it to "conspiracy" please.

How is it a conspiracy? Junk, pseudo-science, yeah, but conspiracy?

#25    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 30 December 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

How is it a conspiracy? Junk, pseudo-science, yeah, but conspiracy?
The philadelphia experiment is conspiracy nonsense. Some guy in the video claim it took him to the year 2137 then to the year 2749...

#26    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postseeder, on 30 December 2012 - 04:30 AM, said:

yeh but the argument is...to time travel you need a method...but going to the past is tricky as the method you're using didn't exist then... but going to the future, means there was a method in the past...to go back to..

ie: you can only time travel - from and to  - the time the  'method' was created..

kinda makes, sense, specially if you're stoned..
I understand what you mean. I think your talking about time traveling in a form of being in location A and then using a method which would transport the physical body into location B which would be the future. For the physical body to return to location A from location B would mean that there must be a method or the same apparatus that would be able to receive the physical body in location A, which is the past. So in that case you would be stuck in the past without being able to go back to your original time line. Kind of like the movie Looper.

The form of time traveling i'm speaking of is being in a craft or machine that is able to transport itself, crew and all parts intact through time space with great precision. First we would have to master the form(method) which I will term Looping. Only the only way that could happen is by mastering the method of being able to tell what time and date to appear and in what location is desired. For it to be able to move in the sky would be determined upon its shape. Then the best thing that comes to mind is the saucer shape. Look at the Frisbee, how it moves effortlessly through the air. This form would maybe also able to penetrate space time just as easily as it does in air.

The form of time traveling I always thought of is that the occupants would not be transported physically to a location like being beamed or sent through a worm hole. I always thought that we could build a machine that would be able to transport the machine itself to and through the past and to the future, with the occupants inside the machine, Instead of the energy being focused inwardly on the occupants, the energy would be focused outwardly on the shell of the machine. the shell would become the radiating source of energy itself used to time travel. When machine shifts from location a to location b. All occupants and parts would be shifted there intact with the machine itself.

True stoners will understand me.

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#27    Dr. Mirdad

Dr. Mirdad

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

• “Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.”

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 30 December 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Time dilation would be the closest to time travel but only into the future.

Why not the past? The past seems more plausible than the future. The future isnt certain. The past is set in stone.

“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.”

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,133 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostDr. Mrdad, on 30 December 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Why not the past? The past seems more plausible than the future. The future isnt certain. The past is set in stone.
Time doesn't flow backward so time dilation can't take you back in time.
Besides it would violate causality if you could.

#29    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 December 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Are space and time interwoven in the way you describe? I thought that was referred to as 'space-time'?

Again, I'm no expert, but my understanding is that space-time is interwoven. However, special circumstances(theorectical) allow them to be seperate, likely only for extreme cases in physics(like black holes, for example)

Still, I have ZERO proof of this, and even less of an understanding. I do know many respectable papers have addressed this subject with theory and no hard facts beyond mind-boggling mathematics.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself can jump-in and clarify.

Edited by pallidin, 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#30    ShadowOfMothman

ShadowOfMothman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Location:All of time and space. Everything that ever happened or ever will.

• “There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick."
    ~ The Doctor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 30 December 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

I'm curious what your reasoning is on that? To the past would be more likely since it's already happened, it's the future that hasn't happened yet. How can you go to a place that doesn't exist yet?

Just curious.
This is your opinion. But there is also the posibility that the future altready exists, and it's just a matter of time until our actions lead to that future.

Also, has anyone ever considered that if we actually managed to travel back in time, we would change the past, no matter if we wanted or not? Even our sheer presence at the time and place we had chosen to visit would have an impact on the whole molecular structure of the environment around us. For example, the air. Now, let me take my hypothesis a little further. Imagine that you are a time-traveller and you travel to the Upper Creataceous, for example. As you suddenly appear there, your body takes up an amount of space where, otherwise, would have been air molecules. This creates a disturbance in the surrounding atmosphere that scares away an insect that would have otherwise pollinated a flower, and so on... All this would lead to a larger chain of events that would (most likely or, in most cases anyway) change the future, which actualy is the present, your time of origin.
Now, travelling to the future could also change things in the present. Imagine that you travel to the future. There, you are informed of the events that took place in the past, in our case, your time of origin(or a little after that). So, you learn what mistakes you, other people and the rest of humanity made and decide to go back and prevent those mistakes. By doing that, having knowledge of your own future, you can avoid doing things that you would have otherwise done, and by doing this you actually "cancel" the future.

I think you get my point. Time travel, if it could be achieved, would be something extremely dangerous.

It would be extremely interesting though, if we could somehow travel to a parallel past or furure. By "parallel" I mean that you could travel travel to the Jurassic for example, do what you want to do there(even kill off the dinosaurs some tens of millions of years earlier, if you want to :tu: ), whithout changing the present(your time of origin), as the Jurassic period you visit belongs to a parallel/alternate timeline.

Hmmm... I think I'm done :yes:

Edited by ShadowOfMothman, 30 December 2012 - 09:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users