Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Good and Evil?

Kat_Kloud

People want so much to believe that there are such things as good and evil, light and dark, but there is simply both existing simultaneously in everyone at every moment in time. What you picture as evil and darkness is sometimes just an unbalance in the human mind. No sane human would go out and commit some serial murders. Sure, we may think about it, or wonder 'what if', but not all of us do.

There are times when we want so much to just punch an insolent fellow in the face, but we can hold that rage back... and there are other times when we see some minority getting teased or beat up, and we imagine walking up to that person and helping them... and most of the time we do not. These are the light and dark forces in side of us. We all have them. It a person who does not learn the balance between the two who commits murder, or perhaps even loses their mind. Humans have to be taught self-control and understanding, patience... these things are not common attributes in this day and time, therefore we have so many unbalanced people.

I openly admit I have some "dark" thoughts in my head at times, but do I go out and murder someone? No. We all have to learn that balance...

I started this in another thread that was kinda well... dead- so here, tell me what you think of this.

Edited by Kat_Kloud

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unorthodox Thesis

• Hotoke

• Kat_Kloud

• RaginCajun

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe that in some situations good and evil is simply a matter of perspective. Like in a war where both sides believe they acting honourable for a noble cause... who is to say which is the evil side?

Yet other things like the Nazi's gassing the jews, walking up to someone and punching them in the face for no reason, or mugging an old defenceless pensioner... those are evil things.

I think maliciousness is the biggest deciding factor for defining something as evil though: i.e. is there a genuine reason for what you are doing that you think is right even if others think it is wrong, are you staying true to your beliefs and principles? If not and you are doing something for the sake of it or because of getting pleasure for hurting someone/causing mayhem then i'd call that evil.

If any of that made any sense. original.gif

Edited by Richdog

Nice reply Richdog, but I ogtta go to school now. I'll be back later on tonight to see where this thread has gone. Til' then.

Good and evil...well its like black and white. The world isn't that simple. It comes in all shades of gray. grin2.gif

I personally believe that in some situations good and evil is simply a matter of perspective. Like in a war where both sides believe they acting honourable for a noble cause... who is to say which is the evil side?

Yet other things like the Nazi's gassing the jews, walking up to someone and punching them in the face for no reason, or mugging an old defenceless pensioner... those are evil things.

Sounds to me like you want your cake but also want to eat it as well. You can't have it both ways. If good and evil is simply a matter of perspective, then it is 'always' simply a matter of perspective. After all Hitler and Co. didn't think they were evil.

There is Good and there is Evil. Perspective has nothing to do with it. Unless, I concede, it is the perspective of the majority of the population.

Raping and strangling a 5 year old girl is not a matter of perspective. It is evil.

Only a twisted perspective of reality would consider it anything else. Beheading innocent Americans is not a 'gray' area. It is evil. There is evil and there are evil people. Evil might be defined as 'a lack of Conscience'.

Edited by joc

Good is that which is in the right place and Evil is that which is in the wrong place.

For instance the water of the ocean is good for many fish and for all animals and people who nourish from its source and bathe themselves withing its waters; however, when its waters are out of place, i.e, a Tsunami, then it is evil! Capisca? rofl.gif

Edited by Loge

i can believe i was good and you believed i was bad. LET'S TURN THIS AROUND.

you can believe you were good i believed you were bad. their is good and bad in all of us. it depends on how we are depicted. obvioulsy to your enemies you are bad.

DO WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE IT IS WHAT YOU THINK WAS RIGHT.

i laugh when people try to say you are evil. well, maybe to you but not me. that makes it 50/50. so whose evil here???

if we are all good then their is something wrong with all of us. their is almost some kind of universe law that says their must be your opposite for you to survive.

Good and evil only exists if God exists, because He

defines what is good.

465581[/snapback]

please norman, don't bring god into this conversation. that topic will heat things up.

I think all those things above apply...there are grey areas and definite lines at the same time...people's perspectives represent the grey areas which is really a broad area. According to how someone was brought up, someone's good is another's evil...

And accordingly, each person has definite lines as to what they define as evil...so really, if you think of this in a very realistic way-

Most people are very self centered and what matters is what they think to be right...so in order to know if there is a good or evil in the world, you would have to look into yourself and find your own answer to that question, because ultimately it is yourself that you have to deal with in the end, and honestly it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks by that time.

I think all those things above apply...there are grey areas and definite lines at the same time...people's perspectives represent the grey areas which is really a broad area.  According to how someone was brought up, someone's good is another's evil...

And accordingly, each person has definite lines as to what they define as evil...so really, if you think of this in a very realistic way-

Most people are very self centered and what matters is what they think to be right...so in order to know if there is a good or evil in the world, you would have to look into yourself and find your own answer to that question, because ultimately it is yourself that you have to deal with in the end, and honestly it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks by that time.

465607[/snapback]

isn't that what i just said???

"ONE day Zarathustra had fallen asleep under a fig-tree, owing to the heat, with his arm over his face. And there came an adder and bit him in the neck, so that Zarathustra cried with pain.

"When he had taken his arm from his face he looked at the serpent; and then it recognized the eyes of Zarathustra, wriggled awkwardly, and tried to get away.

"Do not go," said Zarathustra, "as yet have you not received my thanks! You have awakened me in time; my journey is yet long."

"Your journey is short," said the adder sadly; "my poison is fatal."

"Zarathustra smiled. "When ever did a dragon die of a serpent's poison?"- he said.

But take your poison back! You are not rich enough to give it to me." Then the adder fell again on his neck, and licked his wound.

"When Zarathustra had told this to his disciples they asked him: "And what, O Zarathustra, is the moral of your story?" And Zarathustra answered them thus:

"The good and just call me, the destroyer of morality: my story is immoral.

"When, however, you have an enemy, then do not requite him good for evil: for that would shame him. Instead, prove that he did some good for you.

"And rather be angry than put to shame! And when you are cursed, I do not like it that you want to bless. Rather curse a little also!

"And if you are done a great injustice, then quickly add five small ones. Hideous to behold is he who is obsessed with an injustice.

"Did you know this? A shared injustice is half just. And he who can bear it, should take the injustice upon himself!

"A small revenge is more human than no revenge at all. And if the punishment is not also a right and an honor to the transgressor, I do not like your punishment."

Thus spoke Zarathustra! huh.gif

please norman, don't bring god into this conversation. that topic will heat things up.

Im sorry, I don't think you understand the nature of this topic.

To an atheist, there is no such thing as good or evil, because there

was no supreme being to define what is good. No morals, no

true defenition of evil, therefore in the world of an atheist, good is

a vauge reality.

Im sorry, I don't think you understand the nature of this topic.

To an atheist, there is no such thing as good or evil, because there

was no supreme being to define what is good. No morals, no

true defenition of evil, therefore in the world of an atheist, good is

a vauge reality.

466055[/snapback]

dumbest statement ever.

to a religious person being good is only good because of god. religious people are evil by nature and they need a god to help herd them because they are to weak to keep themselves on the right path devil.gif

to a religious person being good is only good because of god. religious people are evil by nature and they need a god to help herd them because they are to weak to keep themselves on the right path 

You are self-righteous. So, then if you think you are perfect,

then tell us what is good. Surely you know. rolleyes.gif

Please define good, and evil.

Edited by Norman

to a religious person being good is only good because of god. religious people are evil by nature and they need a god to help herd them because they are to weak to keep themselves on the right path 

You are self-righteous. So, then if you think you are perfect,

then tell us what is good. Surely you know.

466075[/snapback]

How can i tell you a correct opinion?

Ah, so it is a matter of opinion?

There is no universal standard of what is good and

what is evil? No?

what is evil? No?

466080[/snapback]

lets see

i killed a man today.............

what do you think about that? hearing only this i am a bad guy but that changes when i told you that he stabbed me and i stabbed him back. Everybodies opinion has changed some say i did the "good" thing others will say you could have stabbed him somewhere else...

Good has changed in anyones eyes

what is done good in your opinion?

Edited by Hotoke

what is evil? No?

466080[/snapback]

lets see

what do you think about that?

466086[/snapback]

What kind of man was he?

what did you kill him for...?

QUOTE(Norman @ Jan 27 2005, 08:09 PM)

what is evil? No?

lets see

what do you think about that? hearing only this i am a bad guy but that changes when i told you that he stabbed me and i stabbed him back. Everybodies opinion has changed some say i did the "good" thing others will say you could have stabbed him somewhere else...

I think you are avoiding the real question.

Is there, or is there not a universal standard for what is good?

QUOTE(Norman @ Jan 27 2005, 08:09 PM)

what is evil? No?

lets see

I think you are avoiding the real question.

Is there, or is there not a universal standard for what is good?

466330[/snapback]

i already answered that

Norman, please try not to comment on things you dont understand.

what is evil? No?

Ok, so what would you propose as one? Murder? How about that, do you think murder is evil?