Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Ectoplasm: fact or fiction?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    crowman

crowman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi im from Crowstone Paranormal Team ,Whats your views on Ectoplasm ? Some say its Spiritual energy,some say its faked,Whats your opinion ?

#2    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

Bunkum faked from the finest cheesecloth or silk

#3    Angel1510

Angel1510

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have never seen any.  I would have to see it to judge for myself.  Also I would need to see it appear in midair from nowhere, lol

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,090 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

I've been slimed, Ray.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

It's real these was this lady once who could make ectroplasm hands appear out of thin air..
and fly around the room.
I don't think you can fake that with silk..

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#6    Claimer Pi

Claimer Pi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Until I see a sample of ectoplasm being analyzed in a lab somewhere, I'm gunna have to remain skeptical.

#7    Angel1510

Angel1510

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostLostSouls7, on 19 September 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

It's real these was this lady once who could make ectroplasm hands appear out of thin air..
and fly around the room.
I don't think you can fake that with silk..

Her name was Helen Duncan:-
http://www.helenduncan.org.uk/

I have even sat in a chair which belonged to her.  It is now owned by a spiritualist friend of mine.

#8    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

Helen Duncan

In 1931 the London Spiritualist Alliance examined Duncan's mediumship and concluded she was a fraud. An early examination of pieces of Duncan's ectoplasm revealed it was made of cheese-cloth, paper mixed with the white of egg and lavatory paper stuck together. Duncan refused to be investigated by the Society for Psychical Research even claiming she wouldn't do it for a million pounds however she was investigated by some psychical researchers such as Harry Price. Duncan had also originally denied photos to be taken in her seances but later accepted permission of photos but this backfired on her, as all flashlight photographs of her mediumship showed her to be using fake props in the seance room such as plastic dolls, cloth, rubber gloves and cut-out heads from magazine covers which she pretended to her audiences were spirits.
One of Duncan's tricks was to swallow and regurgitate some of her ectoplasm and according to (Haynes, 1982) she was persuaded to swallow a tablet of methylene blue before one of her seances by the London Spiritualist Alliance to rule out any chance of this trick being performed and no ectoplasm appeared. An investigation by the psychical researcher Harry Price into the mediumship of Duncan revealed she was using natural substances such as cheese-cloth and eggs mixed with paper as ectoplasm in her seances (see below). It has also been suggested by some researchers that Duncan achieved some of her tricks with the help of an accomplice. In 1933 at a seance in Scotland a little girl called Peggy emerged in the seance room, someone grabbed her and the lights were turned on and the spirit was revealed to be Duncan. She was prosecuted and fined £10. Later Duncan was caught cheating again pretending to be a spirit in the seance room, this time Duncan and four of her traveling companions were prosecuted, convicted and sent to nine months in prison.

Posted Image

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#9    Angel1510

Angel1510

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 19 September 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Was James Randi even alive then?

#10    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostAngel1510, on 19 September 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Was James Randi even alive then?

Nope. Harry Price

College of Psychic Study found her to be full on nonsense as well.  

More on them.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#11    Angel1510

Angel1510

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 19 September 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Haha, just had another look at this.  Is that white thing supposed to be a ghost, lol?  More like a punch and judy puppet!

#12    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Not really convinced on ectoplasm, way too many hoaxes.

#13    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

I've seen too many cases where it can be debunked: camera strap, cigarette smoke, etc. So I say fiction. However, I have seen "wisps" where none should be and couldn't be explained. So.....I'm keeping an open mind.

Basically, I think all paranormal events are filed under "open mind" for me. If they can be explained, great. If they can't, well, I'll accept it as true with the understanding that if it can be explained in the future, it's not true. I always did balance on the edge and fall off once in a while.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

It must be true, I saw it in the movies: "Sir, what we have here is what we call a non-repeating phantasm, or a class-5 free roaming vapor, real nasty one too."

#15    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,851 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostRafterman, on 19 September 2013 - 02:09 PM, said:

I've been slimed, Ray.
That's great! Actual physical contact!

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users