Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Life brought to Earth by comets

comets life amino acids astrobiology

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

NASA scientists have replicated the impact of a comet and demonstrated that amino acids, a building block of life, could have survived the intense heat and shock waves given off in the collision.

The combination of water, energy and amino acids which bind together to form proteins could have caused the first chemical reactions and created proteins, the researchers said.

Presenting their findings at a meeting of the American Chemical Society, they said that several comets, asteroids and meteorites arriving over a long time span could have brought repeated batches of these ingredients to the primordial Earth.

Posted Image Read more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 09 June 2012 - 02:02 PM.
Added tags

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• I AM CURIOUS AND AN AMATEUR RESEARCHER.I AM SOMETIMES NAUGHTY TOO...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

maybe we should research the comets in the oort cloud to know more about these life carrying comets! :yes:
a thoughtful post. :tu:

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain."- Dave Matthews Band
"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend"- William Blake
"Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."- Amelia Burr
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."- Marie Curie
"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."- Shakespeare

#3    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,479 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I've always been fascinated by this theory, it's good to see experimentation that supports the possibility of a panspermia type incident.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

View Postspace11498, on 30 March 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

maybe we should research the comets in the oort cloud to know more about these life carrying comets!
The problem is that we have never even seen a comet in the Oort Cloud.

We have no absolute proof the Oort cloud exists. It is hypothesized as the result of statistical analysis of the orbits of comets. It seems almost certain that it exists, but the detection of such small, cold bodies at such a vast distance from the sun is currently beyond our capabilities.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

May be you are right because; :yes:

EVERY BIT of evidence for the existence of the Oort Cloud is contained in the following statements:

The solar system is 4.5 billion years old. A comet can only survive a limited number of close approaches to the Sun before hitting a planet, or the Sun, or disintegrating. However, there are still comets! Therefore, there must be some vast reservoir of comet-like objects somewhere and some mechanism that causes these objects to fall into the inner solar system.

Astronomer Jan Oort assumed that the reservoir of comet-like objects waiting in deep space is probably far beyond the orbit of Pluto. In his honor, the area of unborn comets is called the Oort Cloud.

In 1950, Dutch astronomer Jan Hendrik Oort proposed that comets might originate in a cloud of material, now called the Oort Cloud. Orbiting the sun at great distances, the orbits of these comets are occasionally disrupted by the gravitational influence of nearby stars sending them hurtling towards the inner solar system.

So great is the distance of the Oort cloud from the Sun that some of these long period comets can take 30 million years to finish one trip around the Sun.

Spherical in nature, the Oort Cloud is believed to exist about halfway between the Sun and the Heliopause. The Heliopause is the imaginary edge that marks the end of the Sun's influence in our solar system.  :tu:

"Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain."- Dave Matthews Band

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,100 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

space11498,
When you quote other sites please provide a source link. Thank you.

Link for above post: Answers.com

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    JayMark

JayMark

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

• Our universe was created out of a desire. A desire to experiment, interact and evolve within a multitude of planes of consciousness.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Quite interesting. I've heard about this in the past.

Immagine if that was proved to be true. It could, in my opinion, leave a lot of opened doors to the question of other lifeforms in the universe (guess it is already the case).

Very nice.

Peace.

Bartender says: "Sorry, we don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos here."

So you have these two faster-than-light neutrinos walking into a bar...

#8    space11498

space11498

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 01 April 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

space11498,
When you quote other sites please provide a source link. Thank you.

Link for above post: Answers.com

Sorry. I will see to it next time.

Also tagged with comets, life, amino acids, astrobiology

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users