Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Poles breaks Nazi Enigma code?

Big Bad Voodoo

As part of the effort the upper house of Poland's parliament is to pass a resolution praising Marian Rejewski, Jerzy Rozycki and Henryk Zygalski, the three Polish mathematicians who first broke the codes back in 1932.

Hailed as "heroes" in the resolution, Rejewski, Rozycki and Zygalski worked at the Polish Cipher Bureau in the early 1930s, and in late 1932 came up with three methods for breaking the encrypted codes produced on the Enigma machine, which the Germans thought were unbreakable.

"We have a duty to remind people just what the Polish cryptologists did," said Senator Piotr Zientarski.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/9594403/Poles-launch-campaign-for-Enigma-code-breaking-recognition.html

The Nazi Germans thinking they were the best, special, was part of their downfall but there was a lot of different countries and people working against them.

The Poles were indeed the first but then the Germans added more Rotor's making it more difficult and this was the version cracked by the British.

• Like 1

Wow! I had no idea there was a film called 'Enigma'. After taking my internet history class, that sounds like a movie I should try to find and watch.

The Poles also would have been close second in building a digital computer would they not have been rudely interrupted by the Germans. Their research was part of the foundation for Turing's work that ultimately cracked the code.

• Like 2

Really. Who cares. It's a bit late for point scoring over which individual did what. Poland still got invaded and suffered horribly and Enigma cracking hastened what would have been inevitable anyway. As Arnold J Rimmer said. "History is written by the winners." Right after the bit about every major battle in history being won by the side with the shortest hair cuts... Move on Poland!

Really. Who cares. It's a bit late for point scoring over which individual did what. Poland still got invaded and suffered horribly and Enigma cracking hastened what would have been inevitable anyway. As Arnold J Rimmer said. "History is written by the winners." Right after the bit about every major battle in history being won by the side with the shortest hair cuts... Move on Poland!

I think your being very Harsh my friend,the polish suffered very badly under the Nazi's and and also contributed massively to the British War effort.

• Like 6

I don't know if the Poles broke the Enigma Code but they broke my plumbing... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb

I notice noone came forth and said it was really them who first split the atom and made the first atom bomb! Looks like Oppenheimer will have that stigma for all time!

Edited by Magiclass

I notice noone came forth and said it was really them who first split the atom and made the first atom bomb! Looks like Oppenheimer will have that stigma for all time!

Oppenheimer may have been the first to build a nuke, but hardly the first to split any atoms. That would go to Rutherford and Hahn.

Shadow 134. I know they suffered. By the Soviets as well as Nazis. Not my point but of we lived our lives seeking credit for good brave or charitable acts that was unrecognised but deserved we would he very unhappy people.

Oppenheimer may have been the first to build a nuke, but hardly the first to split any atoms. That would go to Rutherford and Hahn.

By the way you forgot the work of De Broglie; HelBronner; Fermi, Marie Curie born Maria Salomea Sklodowski. Whereas the Poles, they fought both nazis and soviets, the firsts for 6 years the seconds for 63 years.

• Like 1

By the way you forgot the work of De Broglie; HelBronner; Fermi, Marie Curie born Maria Salomea Sklodowski. Whereas the Poles, they fought both nazis and soviets, the firsts for 6 years the seconds for 63 years.

And you forgot Leó Szilárd. :rolleyes:

Mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa :(

No problem Paracelse. Personally I learned a lot from your posts. It was about time that I add something smart to them.

• Like 1

Thanks. When people stop learning and take everything they have learned in the past for granted without being ready to change their point of view it's time then to retire

WW2 was the biggest event in human history. So many brave intelligent and resourceful people were involved. I agree I was a bit harsh on the Poles. They deserve better from history which portrays them simply as victims. I retract my prior comments and hope they get some nod from history in their contribution to defeating the Nazis. I love how they beat the Communists.. . By singing!

just go to poland... that is old news. The polish mathematics men are revered

• Like 1

dont know wether the poles broke it but...

we had a recent visit to Bletchley U.K (home of the code breakers) heres some pics of the code breaking machines, hope these photos work never tried posting pics before :) its a huge place and most of the old buildings are intact. the large house is open to the public and its also the home of national museum of computing. its just south of milton keynes in the uk.

th_319363_4446044919982_909960642_n_zps7b4748c2.jpg

th_417474_4446077120787_728939926_n_zps5fce1bff.jpg

th_319407_4446026399519_944113408_n_zps80a90e92.jpg

th_551670_4446012319167_1485500077_n_zps97f5e764.jpg

th_296994_4446075240740_513062880_n_zps56d490c4.jpg

the 2 photos below are collossus code cracking machine

th_540398_4446003398944_2048271491_n_zps8e090810.jpg

th_530937_4446014639225_1744332151_n_zpsd8cf4ac9.jpg

th_603574_4446028279566_207381418_n_zps614abdfa.jpg

As an aside the USA had the only ccode not broken during wartime. Navajo wind talkers...

the 2 photos below are collossus code cracking machine

calling Colossus a "code breaking machine" humbles the device a little. Colossus was the first open architecture computer that existed in the world. While much slower than a Cray it could emulate one without a problem.

• Like 1

As an aside the USA had the only ccode not broken during wartime. Navajo wind talkers...

Same as Egyptians use Bedouin language because it isnt written language so Hebrews couldnt learned it in 6day war and Yom Kippur war.