Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hiroshima shadows

NirmalaMaya

This is going to be kind of hard to explain.

When I was in the 5th or 6th grade we had a substitute teacher. A very animate man with long hair, very effeminate. But we all loved him and enjoyed having him as our sub!

Anyhow, he told us a story once during our history lesson. He said he had visited the city of Hiroshima (or what was Hiroshima?) and that the shadows of the people remained as they were at the very moment the bomb hit. The shadows still existed, and hadnt moved.

Im not sure if this is an urban legend, true, or just some story he made up. Ive tried researching it, but cant find much.

Any help?

dontgetit.gif

I'm not sure if it was of people, but I was able to find shadows imprinted of other things, like this : user posted image

user posted image

Source

Years ago I saw photos of these "shadows", but I would have no idea where to look for them. They exist, but finding them may be hard yes.gif

Wow! Thats pretty interesting...

Thanks original.gif

true, there was a doco about the 60th anniversary with interviews from survivors and several of the bombing crew. They showed a shadow of what was once somebody sitting on some rock steps pretty crazy stuff

NirmalaMaya I seen this link on a different thread:www.csi.ad.jp/ABOMB/

Charon said there was some graphic pics there.

Source Thread

well it makes since why theyre there and how they got there.

Yes, it is true.

I've seen many pictures of the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, alot of them about this particular phenomena. Thermal rays leave imprints of shadows on stone.

bathory, good memory. That is indeed one of the more famous stone stadows. Here is the picture:

user posted image

It is believed this person was sitting on the steps of the Sumitomo Bank, about 300 meters from where the bomb hit i believe, waiting for it to open one fine morning. Suddenly, a flash, heat within seconds exceeds temperatures well over 1500 centigrade, and the person was incinerated instantly on those steps, leaving behind only his shadow.

The shadow remained on those steps for about 10 years until it was moved to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. I don't know if it's still there, but 10 years of erosion took it's toll on it.

Here is another picture:

user posted image

This is about a kilometer from the blast, you can see where the extreme heat scorched the surface but where the railing had cast a shadow the area is less scorched. 3-5 seconds of massive extreme heat from the detonation of the atomic bomb causes this.

• Like 1

Those are some wicked pics

Those are some wicked pics

770439[/snapback]

Whoever finds people's shadows burned into the ground as a grisly reminder of what happend many years ago cool cannot be called normal. no.gif

Edited by dantheman2435

Very good pics but I find all this rather simple to explain: when the blast took place, radiations moved across in all directions and scorched everything on their path, meaning: all that was behind any kind of object remained unscorched and untouched. The things that you guys are perceiving as shadows are actually places on the roads and such which are not scorched. It is the same thing as the getting tanned, if you observe the place on your hand where you wear your watch, it will be of a lighter shade than the rest of your hand because it is unexposed to the suns radiations.

Our english teacher was talking about those before. That's really weird looking, those poor people. :/

Wow thats horrible but also a reminder of 200000 peoples lives evaporated in a blink of an eye.

I see the pictures on PBS every now and a then... Japan poked at us and got the full brunt of the American hatred of the deaths at Pearl Harbor... as much as it was disgusting... in a way it was beautiful... the innocent for our innocent times so much.... they all scream it was bad for us... they poked at us! And they got it! Sorry to sound war happy... but they attacked us expecting us to roll over. thumbsup.gif How wrong they were...

Today Japan seems to honor being our allie... tis just shows times can change for the better. original.gif

It was such a terrible thing... killing alot of innocent people, but times CAN and HAVE changed.

Wow thats horrible but also a reminder of 200000 peoples lives evaporated in a blink of an eye.

773508[/snapback]

This is a much better fate than what the residents of Nanking endured at the hands of the Japanese. Rape, torture, cutting pregnant women open, murdering children, burying people alive, burning people alive.

• Like 2

Yeah, that was a terrible incident with things we shouldn't have been toying with. A few good things came from all those people dying, if you will to have an optimistic view on things.

1. We learned that nukes aren't toys (Although we REALLY should have known this BEFOREHAND).

2. "Operation Downfall", the planned invasion of Japan would have been a worse alternative.

• Like 1

i think wat happened is that since lets say... turn on a fire in the ground, itll leave a burn mark around , but somehow with the nuke it made it from the inside

• 4 months later...

I don't know if it's true what happened there but that kinda thing was mentioned in the short story "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Ray Bradbury.It said,

"Ten-fifteen. The garden sprinklers whirled up in golden founts, filling the soft morning air with scatterings of brightness. The water pelted windowpanes, running down the charred west side where the house had been burned evenly free of its white paint. The entire west face of the house was black, save for five places. Here the silhouette in paint of a man mowing a lawn. Here, as in a photograph, a woman bent to pick flowers. Still farther over, their images burned on wood in one titantic instant, a small boy, hands flung into the air; higher up, the image of thrown ball, and opposite him a girl, hand raised to catch a ball which never came down.

The five spots of paint- the man, the woman, the children, the ball- remained. The rest was a thin charcoaled layer." - There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury.

source

I've seen a few documentaries about the bomb and they usually show the shadows. Kind of creepy, kind of sad but, I'd like to go to Japan one day and see them myself. A moment frozen in time forever. It was a bloody war with a blazing finally. I wonder if Usama has ever seen these shadows?

I am really against war.

Shadow have no form and are thus invinsible

What the hell are you talking about?

Jesse, I read that story in school. Freaked me out then, still does a bit. Of course (dating myself here) when I was in school we all expected someone to push the button any minute. I used to have nightmares about nuclear war. Once, when I was a teenager, I was playing hide-and-seek in the dark with my younger relatives and ran into a tree limb. It knocked me out and the last thing I thought, seeing a blinding flash of light, was that the war had begun. :unsure:

Edited by Elfstone810