Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

a atheist explains why she is one

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostCodeblind, on 14 December 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

I'm a Roman Catholic who converted to Atheism in my teens through educational purposes studying the origins of religion right back to early pagan and early astrology, but I feel I was always a sceptic, I think its not actually anything to do with religion for some, I prefer to think its the person and a kind of inherent stubbornness not to just believe...its almost the exact opposite of religious people who blindly believe no matter what, but we know religions are forced at birth and it just takes some time to get back to who you are after the indoctrination ..did any of that make sense..its very early here

Works for me ;) as Im open minded but just not to the reality of ummm what ever made up being is god of the millinium.

What changed your mind mind.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 14 December 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#17    Codeblind

Codeblind

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

There wasn't one thing I can put a finger on and say that's it...I think as I got older and sensibleish, the idea of a god living it up in heaven became ridiculous, especially after learning where most of the terms came from like the heavens and the sun god etc etc....
It would be interesting to hear from an atheist from birth tho who hasn't had any indoctrination and who has maybe converted to a religion.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

#18    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostJGirl, on 14 December 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

p,s, i think she just wants to show off her boobs
I wasn't even going to watch it until you said that. I'm sorry I did. Nothing more than a fundamentalist.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#19    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,759 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 14 December 2012 - 05:12 AM, said:

Seems as if she is trying to say it`s time for religion and it`s bull crap to take a back seat to reality.

I know what she is saying. It is how most athiest feel. Her presentation could use some work is all i mean.

Edited by spartan max2, 14 December 2012 - 01:10 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#20    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 14 December 2012 - 07:45 AM, said:

I wasn't even going to watch it until you said that. I'm sorry I did. Nothing more than a fundamentalist.
a fundamentalist with jiggly cleavage tho

#21    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I've always found it interesting that Atheism is nothing more than those who dont believe in the creator story.
Nothing wrong with that, its ones choice to make.
My only issue with Atheists would be the simple fact that every year around christmas time they come out and start screaming about God is a myth and they file lawsuits to remove nativity scenes etc....
When exactly did not believing in a deity make one intolerant of others and their beliefs?
I have always been told that Atheists were "Free Thinkers" people who were above the petty squabbles of religion.
So when did that all change?
I'm kind of a mutt wit hregards to religion, i dont know where we came from and will freely admit that.
I tend to believe that somehow something deity etc had to create us because its more rational than believing out circulatory system and nerve system just generated out of ooze and rock.
But either way, i have no proof it did and no one has proof it didnt.  My opinion, not fact.
So, while i dont go to church i do believe in a god.
I dont mock the Jews during their celebrations, i dont mock the Wiccans, the Muslims, or anyone else.
Nor do i or anyone i know file lawsuits against others who disagree with my beliefs.
So, with that in mind; Why cant Atheists just live and let live?
I have never seen a group of people grab an Atheists and force them to participate in celebrations.  Have you?
Just because a government building allows a display doesnt equate into the govt trying to force you into a religion.
Never in my life have i walked past a Menorah and thought" Gee, maybe the city wants me to be Jewish".
With that in mind, Maybe its time the Atheists start just believeing in whatever they so choose but do it in a tolerant fashion.
I will respect your belief that god does not exist, but slamming up signs and suing over celebration displays just seems petty and intolerant.

#22    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I agree on the fact that the governing religion plays a major part. didn't watch the vid though.

#23    MidKn13ght

MidKn13ght

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• The world is MINE!!!!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

View PostSakari, on 14 December 2012 - 05:33 AM, said:

I was not going to watch the video. I was just skimming through replies until I saw above......I am now watching video.
Same for me but after a few seconds of watching i stopped it...wasnt enough boob to keep me watching...shes annoying really....lol

#24    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,569 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 14 December 2012 - 07:12 PM, said:

I've always found it interesting that Atheism is nothing more than those who dont believe in the creator story.
Nothing wrong with that, its ones choice to make.
My only issue with Atheists would be the simple fact that every year around christmas time they come out and start screaming about God is a myth and they file lawsuits to remove nativity scenes etc....
When exactly did not believing in a deity make one intolerant of others and their beliefs?
I have always been told that Atheists were "Free Thinkers" people who were above the petty squabbles of religion.
So when did that all change?
I'm kind of a mutt wit hregards to religion, i dont know where we came from and will freely admit that.
I tend to believe that somehow something deity etc had to create us because its more rational than believing out circulatory system and nerve system just generated out of ooze and rock.
But either way, i have no proof it did and no one has proof it didnt.  My opinion, not fact.
So, while i dont go to church i do believe in a god.
I dont mock the Jews during their celebrations, i dont mock the Wiccans, the Muslims, or anyone else.
Nor do i or anyone i know file lawsuits against others who disagree with my beliefs.
So, with that in mind; Why cant Atheists just live and let live?
I have never seen a group of people grab an Atheists and force them to participate in celebrations.  Have you?
Just because a government building allows a display doesnt equate into the govt trying to force you into a religion.
Never in my life have i walked past a Menorah and thought" Gee, maybe the city wants me to be Jewish".
With that in mind, Maybe its time the Atheists start just believeing in whatever they so choose but do it in a tolerant fashion.
I will respect your belief that god does not exist, but slamming up signs and suing over celebration displays just seems petty and intolerant.

That is the first I have heard of that......Any links?

Either way, people need to stop worrying about what other people do.....That will never happen though.

View PostMidKn13ght, on 14 December 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Same for me but after a few seconds of watching i stopped it...wasnt enough boob to keep me watching...shes annoying really....lol

I had the sound off.....But agree 100%, not enough boob!

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#25    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

She should change the title to "Why I as an Atheist care about you religion" instead of bunching all Atheist's into the one group because some, including myself, don't care what people believe. This numpty talks as if religions are actually controlling her when they aren't. I don't like religions at all but all her "Religions tell me what to eat on certain days etc." is stupid because if she's not part of that religion then she doesn't fall into those rules although being forced into doctrines is another matter entirely.  

And she defs wants people to admire here tits as well...shame about the face though.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#26    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

I understand why she takes this stance, and can firmly agree that many religious institutions do in fact impose such opressive ideologies on people.

I do humbly disagree with her on certain things, primarily here vague stereotyping. She claims "religion does this" and "religion does that" when it would best be worded in a way that singles out specific groups instead of labeling all as having one way. I honestly do sympathize with her and fully understand why she would find religion insulting to her, however I myself can find it insulting for her to group me in as one of them, considering I am a Christian that does not agree with the majority of the views she claims "religion" in general overall imposes.

Bottom line is: there will be no peace as long as people continue to disagree and have apathy toward one another.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#27    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

View PostAquilaChrysaetos, on 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I understand why she takes this stance, and can firmly agree that many religious institutions do in fact impose such opressive ideologies on people.

I do humbly disagree with her on certain things, primarily here vague stereotyping. She claims "religion does this" and "religion does that" when it would best be worded in a way that singles out specific groups instead of labeling all as having one way. I honestly do sympathize with her and fully understand why she would find religion insulting to her, however I myself can find it insulting for her to group me in as one of them, considering I am a Christian that does not agree with the majority of the views she claims "religion" in general overall imposes.

Bottom line is: there will be no peace as long as people continue to disagree and have apathy toward one another.

We're all in it for the long run then.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#28    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

lol men are wonderful creatures!
i agree the boobs weren't worth the trouble

#29    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,512 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostJGirl, on 15 December 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

lol men are wonderful creatures!
i agree the boobs weren't worth the trouble
:devil:
Hey it was you the mentioned them ;) and it's not all men. Men from tribal Africa could care less about boobs. Mabey how big your bottom lip is, or how many rings you have stretching your neck :devil:

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#30    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 15 December 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

:devil:
Hey it was you the mentioned them ;) and it's not all men. Men from tribal Africa could care less about boobs. Mabey how big your bottom lip is, or how many rings you have stretching your neck :devil:
yes i happen to be an admirer of the female anatomy myself. and i stand by my statement that men are wonderful creatures and mean it sincerely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users