Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal Investigation

casualbeliever

Hello,I am new to the paranormal world,but I did like watching some of the ghost hunting shows.Even though I liked them I was a total skeptic until now.lol I have been experiencing things in my home and I have learned to catch my own EVP's and have quite a few.I also have caught things by camera.I have a small digital camera and I had caught some orbs and shadow like things.I was unable to load them on my computer for a couple weeks.And when i did yesterday I found that my orbs were not actually orbs per se.They were Octagon shaped.We knew we were catching them after we would look on the camera after snapping the pic's.I stood in the area where we were capturing the pic's and we noticed that they moved when ever I stood by them and some even had a shadow of an upper body shape.But,we saw that the things we thought were orbs were acting like the heads of the 2 body shaped like shadows.I am sure that some one else has had to have seen these odd shaped orbs before.If anyone has encountered these would you be kind enough to tell me about what you think these are and why they are not the so called regular round ones.My haunting has been going on for only a year but,I have been learning as I go.Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.THANK YOU!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Obsessive

• Beany

• casualbeliever

• Mark is Back

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen orb like the ones you described. I hope someone else has, I'd be interested in what they have to say. I don't think of orbs as hauntings, though. They are quite commonly accepted in other cultures, none of which see them as negative. Other cultures tend to think of them as spirits of the ancestors and see them as guardians & helpers, enirely benign. All of the "paranormal" I've seen I classify more or less the same way. I've never felt afraid, never sensed anything evil; if the universe is multidimensional as scienists are starting to think, then perhaps these things normally dwell in a different dimension, in which case, there's been a lot of visitations over the centuries.

I don't think orbs hold much water. Light reflection off water, dust, bugs, a reflection from a mirror, tv, glass... They could be many un paranormally things.

Edited by Obsessive

I don't think orbs hold much water. Light reflection off water, dust, bugs, a reflection from a mirror, tv, glass... They could be many un paranormally things.

Agreed in nearly every case - as the public streams more and more "ORB" picutres into recognition we're fighting against a tide that is unrelenting of false photographs. Not fake, just matrixing or pareidolia within the images to make an orb look 'face like' or even with amazing detail.

I have pictures from a cemetary** near where I go camping that have orbs in them, every single one is pollen/dust and toward the end of the trip - rain. There are some that look like Shang Tsung's flaming skulls (almost perfect clarity), and others that literally look like bunny rabbits. They are about as predictable as clouds, but becasue of their diminutive size make for a pareidolia nightmare.

**(I was not investigating, I was actually taking pictures for the grounds keeper becasue kids started using the cemetary, dating back to the early 1800's, as a party location and damaging headstones and markers. I DO NOT condone investigations in cemetaries)

Chances are very good that the orbs, unless self luminiescent and readily visible to the naked eye, are merely particles of dust.

Orbs of a rectangular or octagonal shape are most commonly caused because an object with a shape similar to the aperture of the camera lens is out-of-focus. The object will begin to take the shape of the aperture. So, if the aperture of the camera is a hexagon, an out-of-focus dust orb will begin to take the shape of a hexagon, particularly towards the center of the image.

Now, if the EVPs are good, that gives you something to look at - orbs aside - you could have some interesting activity going on. I'd say submit the EVPs to a local team (hit up the TAPS Familiy website if you can't find one) and have them check them out to verify your theory.

Otherwise - best of luck, and I'm glad you've taken an interest in the field.

Edited by M457ERSP00K