Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Did Easter Island statues 'walk' ?

easter island moai

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

"Walked"? I think the correct term for this form of manouvering a heavy object is called "daddying". or "daddy"  just like moving a big heavy wardrobe. you know.

#17    KVM10

KVM10

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

5 Tons fine, but I cannot ever imagine these people trying to waddle a 50 Ton Moai Having been there, I can tell you that seeing one of the original sized Moai's you're not going to try that method!

#18    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

This technique looks very unstable, If you watch the video, the statue almost fall down few times.
I can see braking every 5 or sixths statue with this kind of transportation, its not practical.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#19    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,676 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

View Postdiablo_04, on 23 June 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

This technique looks very unstable, If you watch the video, the statue almost fall down few times.
I can see braking every 5 or sixths statue with this kind of transportation, its not practical.

If they used this method my guess is we didn't duplicate it perfectly.

While any technique is going to be somewhat unstable it seems that using two lines in
back to turn it would help stabilize it somewhat.  The more force is on it the less able it
is to get out of control.

Where's a maestro when you really need one?

Essentially each team has to work as one and each team has to be under the control
of someone with the best perspective.  Perhaps this is where the legend  of imminent
death if you cross its shadow comes from.  ;)

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#20    Paranomali

Paranomali

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

• “Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

I had an image of the massive heads growing legs and just tottering around...

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,719 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

I thought I'd read that archeologists had shown that just about every last tree was cut down during this time period. That lends ittself a great deal to the rollers theory in my opinion. Though I'd not be surprised if this is how they manuevered the stones into their final positions. It is how I move heavy furniture around the house, but I'd never try to walk a fridge down the sidewalk like this. I'd find some thing with wheels to put under it.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    Elq

Elq

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Researchers Terry Hunt and Carl Lipo test a new theory that suggests how ancient Easter Islanders may have used ropes to “walk” the moai to their platforms.

“The statues walked,” Easter Islanders say. Archaeologists are still trying to figure out how—and whether their story is a cautionary tale of environmental disaster or a celebration of human ingenuity.

http://quasi-mundo.c...tue-walk-video/

#23    blackdogsun

blackdogsun

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Heyerdahl tried the same thing back in 1986

#24    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

View PostElq, on 01 July 2012 - 10:57 AM, said:

Researchers Terry Hunt and Carl Lipo test a new theory that suggests how ancient Easter Islanders may have used ropes to “walk” the moai to their platforms.

“The statues walked,” Easter Islanders say. Archaeologists are still trying to figure out how—and whether their story is a cautionary tale of environmental disaster or a celebration of human ingenuity.

http://quasi-mundo.c...tue-walk-video/
Good theory, but if this is true they would be able to find that the ground would have been flattened and/or leveled to be able to walk these statues. A good GPR [ground penertrating radar] would substantiate this claim.

#25    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,813 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

pretty interesting

on flat ground it seems like an Ok way to go. But Ireally wonder about getting said stone out of the quarry

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#26    Magiclass

Magiclass

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

What is it about the puppet archeologists? They can't get their heads around the fact that even with all of our tech, we couldn't move the damn things either! They are really grasping at straws with this theory, and they won't come out with what they really think!

#27    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

moving a stone isnt rocket science...

#28    Parsec

Parsec

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 02 October 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

moving a stone isnt rocket science...

Indeed, it's rock science.
I'd like to see you moving a statue (not a simple "stone") so heavy, for so long distances, without our technology and without damaging it.

As for the theory exposed, I agree with DieChecker, if I were in them, I wouldn't have risked to damage or destroy one of the Moai with such an unstable technique.
We don't know what they represented, but surely they were very important to the islanders: would you risk the most precious thing you have trying to make it "walk" to the point where it has to stay?
Further, it's not the same trying a 5 tons replica, where some of them are 50 tons. The weight and the heigh change everything, it's not only a matter of "scale up" the effort.

#29    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

... And, the Right Jack

• 2,813 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostMagiclass, on 02 October 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

What is it about the puppet archeologists? They can't get their heads around the fact that even with all of our tech, we couldn't move the damn things either! They are really grasping at straws with this theory, and they won't come out with what they really think!
it is when said stone is 72' high and 145 tons. that was the largets ever made.

no wonder why they left it in the quary! LOL

just as an aside, I wonder what method of moving that one the 9 miles they had in mind when they cut it, anyway?
it surely wasn't to walk or "daddy" it.

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#30    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postjbondo, on 22 June 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

What you fail to realize is over the years the statues have been buried by buildup of dirt and sand. If you took the island coast down to the level it was when they were placed there, you might find remnants of roads.
Central American Temples were just hills until the dirt and vines were removed.  Maybe there could be roads.  But hey good luck walking 5 tons..I don't believe it.

Edited by Idano, 07 October 2012 - 12:44 AM.

What could possibly go wrong?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users