Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

anyone heard of the wendigo?

Smeagol1

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yelekiah

• AnuKabal

• Beggars

• Smeagol1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the first stories I read on it was Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, and since then I've had a mild interest in them. People say they are wolf-like, or even giants, but to me they are spirits. I'll see if I can find any cool stories on them for you.

One of the first stories I read on it was Scary Stories to tell in the Dark, and since then I've had a mild interest in them. People say they are wolf-like, or even giants, but to me they are spirits. I'll see if I can find any cool stories on them for you.

852211[/snapback]

thanks oh and Marilyin Manson kicks ass!!! notworthy.gif

I met a Native American when I was a child and he told me a very similar story. Something about having trouble seeing them. It scared me then I'd have to admit.

There are many definitions, almost as many as there were Native Tribes before the Europeans came to this continent. Most of Tribes knew of a creature they called "Windigo." But a few of the Tribes (mainly in this part of Canada) also feared another creature called the "Wendigo." Both of these creatures can be found in Native American mythology. But while Windigo is an actual animal, Wendigo is an animal spirit. The following is a transcription of one of the most comprehensive explanations of The Wendigo: WENDIGO, THE SPIRIT OF THE LONELY PLACES Every man who ventures alone into the wilderness should fear the spirit of the lonely places, known as Wendigo in northern Canada and by different names in other parts of the world. The cunning of Wendigo is that it knows how to keep out of your sight. As you travel, it is always behind your back. No matter how quickly you may turn, it moves faster. As you tramp through bush or forest, hills or desert, with no other company but your thoughts, you become slowly aware that Wendigo follows you. You may struggle against the temptation to swing around, but at last you turn and there is nothing. But you know that Wendigo has dodged behind you again, and you move quickly to surprise it. Again nothing, except perhaps the slightest movement of a bush. A breeze, or an animal, or Wendigo? You gaze everywhere around you, but there is nothing ... or so it seems. Wendigo torments some men until they empty their rifles blindly into the bush, screaming defiant challenges. But when the shots and cries have died away the silence settles again. The traveller plods on, and Wendigo follows. At night, it hovers outside the circle of the campfire. At dawn, it retreats in to the forest mist. As the days pass, Wendigo speaks to the traveller in little sighing whispers: words which he is not quite able to distinguish. Sometimes they sound like the voice of a friend, so that he shouts an amazed reply. Vainly he assures himself it is only the wind. He may even glimpse Wendigo, as a shadow moving between the trees or grass bending beneath invisible feet. At last the traveller runs before Wendigo, casting aside weapons, provisions, and all other gear that might hamper his flight. Sobbing desperately he runs until the end of his strength, and falls exhausted and alone. The wilderness silence settles around the body, although the treetops sway as though a wind had passed through them. Wendigo has gone, but will always return.

852211[/snapback]

rolleyes.gif I had that book, scared the crap out of me if I remember correctly....

I met a Native American when I was a child and he told me a very similar story. Something about having trouble seeing them. It scared me then I'd have to admit.

There are many definitions, almost as many as there were Native Tribes before the Europeans came to this continent. Most of Tribes knew of a creature they called "Windigo." But a few of the Tribes (mainly in this part of Canada) also feared another creature called the "Wendigo." Both of these creatures can be found in Native American mythology. But while Windigo is an actual animal, Wendigo is an animal spirit. The following is a transcription of one of the most comprehensive explanations of The Wendigo:   WENDIGO, THE SPIRIT OF THE LONELY PLACES Every man who ventures alone into the wilderness should fear the spirit of the lonely places, known as Wendigo in northern Canada and by different names in other parts of the world. The cunning of Wendigo is that it knows how to keep out of your sight. As you travel, it is always behind your back. No matter how quickly you may turn, it moves faster. As you tramp through bush or forest, hills or desert, with no other company but your thoughts, you become slowly aware that Wendigo follows you. You may struggle against the temptation to swing around, but at last you turn and there is nothing. But you know that Wendigo has dodged behind you again, and you move quickly to surprise it. Again nothing, except perhaps the slightest movement of a bush. A breeze, or an animal, or Wendigo? You gaze everywhere around you, but there is nothing ... or so it seems. Wendigo torments some men until they empty their rifles blindly into the bush, screaming defiant challenges. But when the shots and cries have died away the silence settles again. The traveller plods on, and Wendigo follows. At night, it hovers outside the circle of the campfire. At dawn, it retreats in to the forest mist. As the days pass, Wendigo speaks to the traveller in little sighing whispers: words which he is not quite able to distinguish. Sometimes they sound like the voice of a friend, so that he shouts an amazed reply. Vainly he assures himself it is only the wind. He may even glimpse Wendigo, as a shadow moving between the trees or grass bending beneath invisible feet. At last the traveller runs before Wendigo, casting aside weapons, provisions, and all other gear that might hamper his flight. Sobbing desperately he runs until the end of his strength, and falls exhausted and alone. The wilderness silence settles around the body, although the treetops sway as though a wind had passed through them. Wendigo has gone, but will always return.

852235[/snapback]

WTF OMFG w00t.gifblink.gif BETTER HOPE

THE SPIRITS OF THE FOREST STILL LOVE ME!!! mellow.gifph34r.gifwiggle.gif

Edited by Smeagol1

lmao,this topic just reminded me of a movie that someobdy made of the wendigo or weetigoo,that movie was so ridiculously funnny,the wnedigo was made of sticks.lol

Yeah, that last one is the giant type of "Wendigo" that walks the earth. The Windigo is an "animal" in Canada that I think is the third one. Not sure.The real Wendigo I don't think you can see. There was this story about this American girl that had a Wendigo in her house. It was the story that I was told by a Native American as a child. I'm not sure if it was pure folklore. Has anyone heard of that story?

you probably dont belive me but there are different types of wenidogos. i know this because i 've killed 5 of them.

Among my people the Nanticoke/ Lenape is is a 'Shingas' or 'Meesingk'(Bigfoot) who went rabid or crazy and gained a taste for humans. If it just bites you then you become one too. Among my stepfathers tribe the Oglala Lakota it is the same thing but they call it 'Eeya'

Native Chick should have some thoughts on this as it belongs in her tribal philosophies also.

lapi'che ni'tis

Thank you so much for the input, Piney.

I'm sure the stories varies a great deal from tribe to tribe, because the one I heard was about the spirit in the woods that can also enter people's houses.

the wolf one kind of reminds me of a balverine with shaggy fur and retangular teeth. It also smells like a seal. The noise they make is like a low hiss/ purr.

The other one looked like a muscular ape with antlers pretrunding from its head. Both were about 7 feet tall.

(note to self: bring gun to Canada)

I'm still curious about the spirit of the woods, if anyone knows about it, feel free to put down your thoughts on the story. I've heard it many years ago.

i know nothing of spirits i only know strage things of the phyiscal realm so you should remember that if anyone has problems with unexplained creatures