Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Bigfoot: real or myth? -- Why? -- Why not?

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#511    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,199 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

View Posttoyomotor, on 14 July 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

As I understand it, the hybridisation took place thousands of years ago, and the hybrids survived, but in isolation.

I reckon you're right about their habitat, similar to other bears but with the polar bear capability thrown in.

The program didn't show any skulls that I remember, but did describe them as different to Brown Bears and Polar Bears.
The polar bear is semi aquatic, so it makes no sense for there to be a hybrid so far inland, ice age not withstanding. Instead one species containing genes found in two species could also mean one original species that branched into two. Hence my description of as an a living ancestral relic. I'm just throwing ideas out there, more often wrong than right. It's rather delightful speculating about something that's real.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd, 14 July 2014 - 02:16 AM.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#512    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:33 AM

View Posttoyomotor, on 11 July 2014 - 06:27 AM, said:

Bryan Sykes is a Professor of Human Genetics at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Wolfson College. Sykes published the first report on retrieving DNA from ancient bone.

He's also completed a comprehensive DNA study of hair samples from what have been described as Yetis, and other local names, throughout the Himalayas.

His analysis has revealed that the so called Yeti (etc)  are in fact the descendants of an ancient admixture of the Polar Bear and the Himalayan Brown Bear. Note that the admixture is ancient, it isn't a recent thing. And this cross breeding is what has produced something that looks like neither a Brown Bear nor a Polar Bear.

Should we refer to it as Sykes' Bear?

Perhaps it is related to Bergman's Bear? That bear was big and reportedly appeared to have short legs.

Or maybe the short faced bear? Though there is no evidence of the short faced bears outside of N America, it would have a more "ape-like" appearance and match the description of a yeti better.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#513    Xochi

Xochi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:26 AM

A myth cause he is mentioned in quite a few different Native American myths. Same goes with the Yowie who is found in stories of an Australian Aboriginal tribe once fighting this beast.

#514    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

• simple but not simple minded

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

View Postlegendarycryptids, on 14 June 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

According to evolution theories, we branched off several times before becoming modern humans, as we spread out around the globe. This is proven by looking at DNA markers tracing modern human back to Africa some 200,000 years ago. With the number of times modern humans split off into different groups, it's not unreasonable to think one group chose a method of self-isolation to survive the odds against other human species. Given this concept, it is certainly plausible for Bigfoot to exist out there. It's most certainly interesting how everything described about Bigfoot similarily resembles that of ancient hunter-gatherer men.

So, is it not unreasonable to ask why no bones or fossils have been found supporting the existstance of this particular species? After all, your first sentence is a conclusion based on the fossil record.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#515    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 15 June 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

Ironically having an open mind also means entertaining the possibility that Bigfoot isn't real.

In my experience, the phrase "have an open mind" means to entertain all the possibilties. Funny thing is, to the people who use that phrase most, it means "believe everything you are told".

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, I just can't get my head that far up my butt

#516    Gaden

Gaden

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostSakari, on 07 July 2014 - 01:40 AM, said:

The claims about American Indians claiming Bigfoot has existed is false. Made up by the " white man "......It is not true. Including the American Indians thinking " it " can transcend demensions.

None of that is true. You will only find that information on the Bigfoot sights, and from Bigfoot believers. Trying to make it real, to back up there claims.

And, that has been discussed thouroughly also....With links.

Before you ask......Here is plenty.

http://forums.randi....ad.php?t=104878

Yes, another case of telling a lie often enough that it becomes the truth.

#517    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

View PostXochi, on 01 August 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

A myth cause he is mentioned in quite a few different Native American myths. Same goes with the Yowie who is found in stories of an Australian Aboriginal tribe once fighting this beast.
The Yowie could of been a giant Wombat

#518    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,860 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users