Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ohio transgender suicide

green_dude777

Oh, that poor child, taking a final step like that. I kind of feel worse for the trucker, because their life was shattered by becoming an unknowing killer because someone else decided to end their life.

Sad all the way around :no:

• Like 5

Society values have changed , with acceptance of difference and rejection of old dogma .

We only saw and heard of the trans community on The Phil Donahue Tv Show once , now we are openly accepting them and referring to them by their chosen gender .

It was socially acceptable to reject a gay/ trans child in past decades . I grew up in the 80s and I personally knew kids kicked out of home, and even in 2015, kids are kicked out of home for being gay or trans .

My heart goes out for the poor kid , such a confusing time ~ teen, trans and not accepted . It does get better , if she only knew .

My heart also goes out to the parents , I thought this was a cruel article , shaming the parents . What they did was dreadful , but don't kick someone when they are down .

and of course the driver of the tractor .

Tragic article .

I hope kids realize that it does get better .

• Like 5

Other than the fact that the parents aren't even of sufficient quality to be called, "Douches," I pity the truck driver that probably lost his job when the kid forced him to kill her by jumping in front of it. Nearly all commercial trucking companies have a zero-tolerance policy - if you get into an accident - ANY accident - you lose your job. Merry Christmas, trucker, who will forever remember that night when he killed someone.

• Like 1

I'm sorry that this poor young person never managed to get to an age where they could take off and go live their own life. At 17 he... she... was so close.

• Like 5

I'm sorry that this poor young person never managed to get to an age where they could take off and go live their own life. At 17 he... she... was so close.

I guess the problem is, wherever you go, you take yourself with you. She would always have the weight of her life thus far and her trials with her family, councellors and all she has encountered who have caused her grief and anxiety in her memories, it becomes a part of the personality we carry - our history. I am so sorry she wasn't given the type of councelling that would allow her to put that grief, pain and the depression it causes in the past where it belongs and navigate the present and future as her true self.

It is a terrible tragedy and one that so many people need to learn from to prevent her life and death being all in vain.

• Like 2

i don't have any words anymore.

just, if someone tells you something important, listen.

• Like 6

Utterly heartbreaking! ....and this is one of the reasons why I don't 'get' religion. If Christians tell us that their God is 'all loving' , why are people other than heterosexuals shunned by their God ...that isn't all loving at all is it?! I'm baffled...yet not very stupid. I am not wanting to start a religion argument but please can someone explain to me what sort of parent would still argue the toss if their child told them that they were trapped in the wrong gendered body they wouldn't do their hardest to help that child become the person they needed to be - I know I would ..I would feel bereft at the loss of THAT child but welcome the person they became for sure ....and before anyone says ....but you don't know how you would feel - I do, but not my child - a friend I have had since childhood (age 5) and I fully support his decision to become a man (his family are up in arms ...I say stuff'em)

• Like 2

Utterly heartbreaking! ....and this is one of the reasons why I don't 'get' religion. If Christians tell us that their God is 'all loving' , why are people other than heterosexuals shunned by their God ...that isn't all loving at all is it?!

I'm not even sure how religion comes into this. Was the kid a practicing homosexual? It sounds like all he/she wanted was to be recognized as a female, rather then a male. I'm not sure there is any Christian prohibition on that.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t2

I personally think this is an example of why the 'hate the sin, love the sinner' attitude is damaging.

That is one of the reasons why I don't let people mold me, I rather be a atheist and have like minded friends than to be part of a group that openly attacks another based on ideals derived from a book that was written 2 thousand years ago.

• Like 2

I don't think this about what the parents did or didn't do. There are plenty of people who have parents who criticize their lives, yet they rise above it and get out. This poor child probably battled with depression and its terribly unfortunate he couldn't see past it. And although his parents behavior and where he lived may have been the catalyst for his depression, it's not their fault.

• Like 2

i really wish things could change for the better it's so sad hearing this people shouldn't have to feel so trapped and helpless with who they are there's far to much cruelness in the world.

• Like 4

I don't think this about what the parents did or didn't do. There are plenty of people who have parents who criticize their lives, yet they rise above it and get out. This poor child probably battled with depression and its terribly unfortunate he couldn't see past it. And although his parents behavior and where he lived may have been the catalyst for his depression, it's not their fault.

I disagree and would blame the parents for their ignorance and narrow mindedness when faced with this problem and not seeing to it that he got professional help. He was probably depressed, who wouldn't be in such a situation with such parents, and people usually cannot recover from depression on their own -- the condition only makes itself worse as you try to treat yourself.

The prejudice we see here is mostly Christian in nature, at least in the States and Europe. It is too bad so many Christians can't see beyond their noses.

• Like 2

"My compassion is there for the parents. All any parent wants is love for their children, for their children to live good lives. Transgender is such a new thing in society and we've not faced it or discussed it as a society. We've kept it in a dark corner where some people still think it's some deviant sexual behavior," said Key.

"If the parents would have reached out for more information, or said 'This is a lot. We need some time,' or if they had access to a group that would welcome them to talk, that might have made the difference for Leelah."

Excellent excellent opinion and advice, imo.

More hate upon hate is never the answer. Mudslinging at the parents or religion doesn't make things better. And I know plenty of non-religious individuals who wouldn't respond well to this revelation from their child either. God doesn't make people do anything. People have and always will do whatever they want. Otherwise, the "religious" would never ever be hypocrites, which is clearly never the case.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I disagree and would blame the parents for their ignorance and narrow mindedness when faced with this problem and not seeing to it that he got professional help. He was probably depressed, who wouldn't be in such a situation with such parents, and people usually cannot recover from depression on their own -- the condition only makes itself worse as you try to treat yourself.

The prejudice we see here is mostly Christian in nature, at least in the States and Europe. It is too bad so many Christians can't see beyond their noses.

I agree so many Christians are ridiculously hypocritical and prejudiced, but I still stand by my opinion this isn't entirely the parents fault. We don't know the whole story, we don't know what went on in this house, they could have been terrible to the kid, but they could have, like they said, loved him deeply. I refuse to pass judgement on these people and blame them 100% for this kid taking his life.

Imo,

I'm so tired of people using and being given excuses: Religion, God, etc. NO! Its all you. Every bit of it.

How many "religious" have accepted their relatives unconditionally? Even the article gave examples of some.

You have to change the individual that is how you change religion!

• Like 3

I'm just not clear about which individual you think should change?

The focal person is dead, no change there. Should she have changed before she died? Her parents?

Whose change is going to make the difference? Individuals in society?

• Like 1

Her parents are reborn's.they did not support her.love your kids no matter what

• Like 3

I wish people wouldn't bring religeon into threads like this, as it has nothing to do with the tragic circumstances.The way people talk it would seem that only Christains get on the band wagon about different genders. I've known and worked with gay people and I've treated them as Human beings, As long as they don't interfere with your lifestyle you can get along with anyone.

• Like 2

I wish people wouldn't bring religeon into threads like this, as it has nothing to do with the tragic circumstances.The way people talk it would seem that only Christains get on the band wagon about different genders. I've known and worked with gay people and I've treated them as Human beings, As long as they don't interfere with your lifestyle you can get along with anyone.

The reason people like me "bring religion into these threads" is for sake of honesty. Without Christianity and so on you don't have the prejudices. The churches (not all churches and it seems fewer all the time) are the root cause of this sort of family conflict and the problems gay people have.
  • Like 1

Religion was part of this thread because that was why her parents sent her off to be "fixed".

• Like 4

I'm not even sure how religion comes into this. Was the kid a practicing homosexual? It sounds like all he/she wanted was to be recognized as a female, rather then a male. I'm not sure there is any Christian prohibition on that.

What Christians usually use is Deuteronomy 22:5 : "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

• Like 1

Idiots loving their fake sky sky man more than their own children. And their defenders will respond with the No True Scotsman fallacy and talk about how THEIR fake sky man is different.

Sickening.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

What Christians usually use is Deuteronomy 22:5 : "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God."

The guys who wrote this 2000 + yrs ago have a lot to answer for as they still run around in Nighties and dish (cloths) dashes on their heads.