Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Mystery aircraft sighted over Amarillo, TX

taniwha

Aviation Week & Space Technology journalist Bill Sweetman has posted photos taken March 10 by two veteran sky watchers, Steve Douglass and Dean Muskett.

In his blog post of March 28, Sweetman writes that he and two Aviation Week editors agree that the photos depict "something real." In other words, these pictures aren't easily explained away by reports of known military flights or the work of someone who got carried away with Photoshop.

So what can aviation experts say about the object in the photos?

"The photos tell us more about what the mysterious stranger isn't than what it is," Sweetman writes.

http://www.chron.com...hpfc#item-28392

http://www.aviationw...mentId=blogDest

Not sure what this aircraft is but I'd bet a new spyplane of some sort or follow-on to the F-117A. Size and speed are very difficult to determine but the authors speculate based on contrail altitudes for the day.

post-113168-0-12230300-1396052469_thumb.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Its a plane, and leaving the trail that planes do.

from the article

One of the photographers, Steve Douglass, also believed he picked up voice traffic from the craft,. meaning it was manned.

Edited by seeder

Its a plane, and leaving the trail that planes do.

from the article

One of the photographers, Steve Douglass, also believed he picked up voice traffic from the craft,. meaning it was manned.

The real mystery then might be how does one believe they pick up voice traffic when taking a photo.

Lots of Great machines Fly out in West Texas ! Its got one of about every kind of Special Air Base we have ! Lots of B-2s B-1 B`s ect !

• Like 1

Trials of new stealth UAV's? It may sound far fetched, but the US and EADS in Europe as well as Dassault in France are developing these kinds of unmanned aircraft that can't be detected on radar and be shot down, like current UAV's.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

Oh my, even from these it looks to be an impressive beast. Hard to tell but it doesn't look to have much in the way of vertical control surfaces, would certainly help cut down on a radar signature. To bad we don't have video, it'd be nice to get at least a rough idea of its speed, and maybe and audio signature.

Let the speculation begin!

Bears!!! Is it bears!!!???

Voodoo! The answer is always voodoo!

• Like 1

Is there any reason to believe this craft is from Texas?

I think that someone just pimped the malaysian 777

Oh good god B, NO!!! The CTs of the world will take your clearly sarcastic remark way to seriously! They're already convinced we're in the employ of EbilGur'ment Co.

• Like 1

The SR-71 getting retired and the the 117s going away, there had to be a new kid on the block, maybe that beastie is it. Compared to what I used to fly I am probably like a Korean war aviator looking at an F-14. Same physics, different breed of cat (pun intended). Cool stuff I am guessing.

The real mystery then might be how does one believe they pick up voice traffic when taking a photo.

Steve Douglass is an aviation enthusiast who also monitors the aviation radio frequencies.. A pretty serious plane-spotter, by all accounts. :D

• Like 1

I'm a bit puzzled by the images.. While they both appear to show a triangular, boomerangish shape, one is quite 'squashed' lengthways. It would need to be at quite a different angle (eg a very hard turn almost directly away from the photographer, or at a very different angle in the sky) to be so fore-shortened.

Not sure about this - as usual, would like to see original images inc exif, and also a recording of the radio transmissions. A little digging shows that Mr Douglas has in the past reported such radio transcripts, but never presents the actual audio. If he doesn't record them, you'd have to wonder how he manages to transcribe them accurately while he is also taking images of a fast moving object...

Edited by ChrLzs

I'm a bit puzzled by the images.. While they both appear to show a triangular, boomerangish shape, one is quite 'squashed' lengthways. It would need to be at quite a different angle (eg a very hard turn almost directly away from the photographer, or at a very different angle in the sky) to be so fore-shortened.

According to the photographer, the aircraft was maneuvering at the time:

"But one of the three then did something either unusual or on purpose that made it's planform visible for a brief few seconds. It maneuvered in and out of the lead aircraft's contrail, kind of playfully."

Steve Douglass source: http://deepbluehoriz...aphed-over.html

Not sure about this - as usual, would like to see original images inc exif, and also a recording of the radio transmissions. A little digging shows that Mr Douglas has in the past reported such radio transcripts, but never presents the actual audio. If he doesn't record them, you'd have to wonder how he manages to transcribe them accurately while he is also taking images of a fast moving object...

With respect, I think perhaps a bit more research would've been in order here before you began insinuating that Mr. Douglass may be a hoaxer. This story was first posted online by Bill Sweetman, an editor at Aviation Week who has done extensive research into classified U.S. aircraft programs. He knows Steve Douglass and is convinced this is real. His blog post (link) contains one full frame from Mr. Douglass' camera with Exif data intact.

Also, Steve Douglass has posted a full account of his sighting here (link). My quote above is from this post. The post includes a few other images, links to audio recordings of the two transmissions he feels are related to these aircraft, and details of some other interesting research he has done. It's a fascinating read.

• Like 2

Nice triangular shape planes. Nothing more , not even military ufo's.

Looks interesting, and perhaps not dissimilar to some commonly reported UFOs. Are the other contrails associated with it, i.e. a chase plane, or are they coincidental?

Looks interesting, and perhaps not dissimilar to some commonly reported UFOs. Are the other contrails associated with it, i.e. a chase plane, or are they coincidental?

Chase Plane?

Nice triangular shape planes. Nothing more , not even military ufo's.

so what is it? give us the name of the craft?