Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

TV licence faces cut

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

The BBC could face a cut in the TV licence fee or have to share it with other broadcasters unless it rebuilds public trust, a Tory minister has said.

Conservative party chairman Grant Shapps told the Sunday Telegraph the broadcaster must be "more transparent" and change its "culture of secrecy".

The current £145.50 annual fee would be "too much" without reform, he said.

A BBC spokesman said transparency and freedom from political pressure were key to the BBC's future.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,734 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Aunty B.B.C. is prehistoric I dont watch it anymore so why should I pay the licence.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    Heroic Bishop

Heroic Bishop

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

Well I think the BBC is a great British institution, after all more than half of all satellite programs are repeats of BBC made programmes, and the BBC made Red Dwarf, our TV would be nothing more than friggin Jeremy Kyle if it wasn't for them. I do however agree that they need to modernize and get their ship in order to survive. Seems Aunty Beeb has become somewhat dotty and could be developing Alzheimer's however...

Posted Image

"Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death... I shall fear no evil. For I am at 80,000 feet and climbing." - Psalm of the SR-71

#4    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

The T.V. Licence should be scrapped,most people have satelite or cable and paying twice is ridiculous.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#5    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,621 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 27 October 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Aunty B.B.C. is prehistoric I dont watch it anymore so why should I pay the licence.

Because its important to have a part of the media that isn't owned by private individuals, and is accountable to the public.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#6    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 27 October 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

I never watch the BBC,

We should be given the choice rather than thrusting it on us and then charging us for the privilege.

Posted Image

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,900 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have to admit, im a big fan of BBC programs especially the History and Nature documentaries they make from Empire of the Seas, to any of David Attenboroughs documentaries which in my opinion are worth the licence fee alone. but also to the small programs like 'the sky at night' which is such a program that would never be made by any other broadcaster because its not mainstream enough. it wouldnt generate revenue through advertisement, yet, i believe its the longest running program on the BBC. But we also have to remember the licence fee also pays for all of the BBC's radio channels both national and local. i think the BBC gives great value for money.

The BBC seems to have lost its way in recent years trying to take on the likes of ITV in a ratings war. when infact the BBC doesn't need to. they just need to keep making good educational programs and family friendly television. also to add another wrong move by the BBC was to pay massive wages for 'celebrities'.

I have to admit in our house ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 never get a look in, yet BBC NEWS, BBC one BBC two, Discovery Channel, NatGeo, History and Sky sports are the main channels of interest.

Edited by stevewinn, 29 October 2013 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users