Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

WestVirginia(Mountain Men)

cyurious

i know that over 1000 people are reported missing in westvirginia each year, and i deeply think that the mountain men are responsible after watching wrong turn has any one heard of this and have any info reguarding it? me an my friends want to hike the virginian mountains and document our findings

thnx

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rosenrot

• cyurious

• EmpressStarXVII

• sbradj

I live in Virginia. And go to WV for good hiking, rock climbing, and white water (New River Gorge, baby!) And here's the truth. Not that many people go missing. And the ones that do go missing do so because of hiking and backpacking incidents. When inexperienced hikers go into the mountains, they don't know what they're getting into. And they get in trouble when they go off the trail. They get lost in the woods and die. It's a sad fact. And yes, some of those may be due to murder. If I remember correctly there was a duo of women who were killed by a West Virginian because he thought they were lesbians; they weren't. But most dissapearances are due to human error and inexperienced hikers.

Don't believe everything you see in the movies. I have family that lives in West Virginia and while it is a little backwards and lost in time it is nothing like the movie Wrong Turn.

wats wrong with lesbians? gay people don make inbreds straight people do

wats wrong with lesbians? gay people don make inbreds straight people do

I don't think that (she?) was saying that homosexuals were bad, I believe rather (she?) was referring to the motive of their murders. ( Some whack jobs will kill over tiny things like that )

well i think that mountain men are creepy and i still am gonna go to west virginia in an attempt to be attacked and survive

I don't think that (she?) was saying that homosexuals were bad, I believe rather (she?) was referring to the motive of their murders. ( Some whack jobs will kill over tiny things like that )

Gigantickitten is correct. The man in West Virginia killed the women because he thought they were lesbains. That land is very conservative in thier thinking.

And yes I am a woman. Maybe not a lady, but a female notheless.

so if my gay frindz go2 virginia they would kill us?

u betta tell me hell i don wanna die by some hillbilly jus for preferences :no:

well i think that mountain men are creepy and i still am gonna go to west virginia in an attempt to be attacked and survive

Not a bright idea. People like that are few and far between. If you want adrenaline in WV try white water rafting the Gauly River. Class 6, oh yeah!!

so if my gay frindz go2 virginia they would kill us?

Actually there is a chance if you flaunt it. But in the larger cities, you're fine. In the back woods, you might get into trouble (possibly with the Law).

wats the backwoods?where the mountain men live? you all do no wat i meen by mountain men rite?

Theres always a chance that you'll come across some racist bigot that can't see past their own ignorance to accept others for what and who they are, but should you expect it? Probably not.. I would keep aware for the sake of being aware.. And like rosenrot suggested, not flaunt it around. But other than that? Probably not, again.

Unfortunately there are and probably always will be those that will commit hate crimes and things as horrible as murders over things like race, sexual preference, or otherwise. - If it exists, theres someone that will hate it. Logic and common civility doesn't matter to these people.

Bring us back a video, please! :P

lol according to them we might not survive the documentary

lol

By backwoods I mean not in large cities. Small towns and the like.

have you ever encountered a mountain man? or went to ther house? like a secluded ones house?

have you ever encountered a mountain man? or went to ther house? like a secluded ones house?

Well, yes and no. My friends for WV are what we like to call "River Hippies." They guide white water. They're hippies; they don't care. But as far as backwards, backwoods, people from WV, not really. I have seen them, but never encountered them. And no, I never go to someone's house if I have not been well aquainted with them for a while. And usually then, I go with other people. You see I am small. 5'1" and about 100lbs. I am not very trusting because I know larger people can take advatage of my size and overpower me.

found it i think

SUTTON, W. Va.(Court TV)—Jacob Beard was convicted of murdering two women in 1993. But after a judge learned that an infamous serial killer allegedly confessed to the killings, Beard was given a second chance to convince a jury of his claims of innocence.

Beard had been convicted for first degree murder in the shooting deaths of Vicki Durian and Nancy Santomero. The trial was dubbed "The Rainbow Murders Trial" because the two victims were killed while hitch-hiking their way to an annual gathering of hippies called "The Rainbow Family Festival " in West Virginia.

Four years later, Beard's lawyers argued that he should be granted a new trial because Joseph Franklin, a convicted serial killer indicted in the shooting Hustler publisher Larry Flynt in 1978, allegedly said he's the real killer.

The Serial Killer

Franklin, a white supremicist on death row in Tennessee, reportedly claimed that he killed the women in 1980 because they said they did not oppose interracial relationships.

Joseph Paul Franklin

He first admitted to the Rainbow Murders in 1974, at the same time he was providing a confession to another hitchhiker murderin Wisconsin.

According to his story, Franklin was traveling through West Virginia when he picked up the two hitchhiking women, and soon after decided murder them after learning of their racial views. Franklin then said he drove to a remote location, shot them as they sat inside his car, and dumped their bodies in a remote area called Briery Knob where they were later discovered.

Franklin is currently serving six life sentences for four murders he committed in Wisconsin and Utah in 1977 and 1980. He also is on death row for a sniper killing outside a synagogue in Missouri in 1977.

Franklin still must face trial for murder in Tennessee. In a videotaped interview this year with a reporter in Cincinnati, Ohio, Franklin confessed to Beard's crimes and described the murders with details Beard's defense claimed only the true killer would know about. Franklin reportedly does not want another person getting credit for a crime he committed.

Nonetheless, the judge in Beard's 1993 trial did not allow Franklin's confession to be admitted as evidence, claiming that it was merely hearsay. The prosecutors who sent Beard to prison have claimed that Franklin's account of the murder of Durian and Santomero had several inconsistencies and that his confession is bogus.

But Beard's defense lawyers successfully argued that Beard should be granted a new trial because newly discovered evidence suggested that another man killed the victims.

That could very well be it, but I'm pretty sure the women were murdered because the man thought they were lesbians, not because they were hippies.

hold on then lol ill search somemore

yea i cant find it srry

No worries. Maybe someone else will come along and have better luck.

so basically there are no cannabalistic mountain men? that sux even in the backwoods?

so basically there are no cannabalistic mountain men? that sux even in the backwoods?

Nope. No cannabals in WV. However, there are other cases of cannabalism around the world.

West Virginia isn't very different from most of the other States. Granted, the people are a little more conserved in thier thinking, but there is the same percentage of weirdos in WV as there is in the rest of the US. And not all of them are inbreed. I had a teacher from WV who debunked that. It's a sterotype that we use to poke fun at them.

• The topic was locked