Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Belgian twins choose euthenasia

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#46    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 15 January 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Well, see, the with the likes of degenerative brain disorders, as far as I'm aware, there is legal justification for euthanasia. The only problem being that they either have to set up their end before they lose control of their mental faculties, or they have to set it up during their good days.
Agreed. Let me add another, what if they (people with these disorders) want to be euthanized (not suicide, I'm going back to the 'too afraid to live, too afraid to die' concept) before their symptoms progress to a point where they themselves can't physically commit suicide?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#47    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

Then they should kill themselves, not have a doctor do it. I doubt anywhere would do that for them. Well, except from Belgium, apparently...

#48    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I guess I have no problem with it.   Not sure how I would react in the same circumstances?  I guess it's good to at least have the choice?  

Art

#49    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

So, the terminally ill are dying...so we should just go ahead and put them out of their misery like a horse with a broken pelvis?  No, we shouldn't.  We have pain medication and hospice set up to help them and their families and make their last moments comfortable and memorable for the family.

Have you ever seen the pain someone goes through Lung Cancer and Emphysema, and wants nothing but to spend their last seconds with their loved ones other than to die in a hospital bed alone in the middle of the night? The fact that Morphine and other drugs no longer help their pain?

But no, let's make it more 'comfortable and memorable for the family'... Cause that is what is important right..?

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#50    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

There are so many people who will be ready to chant -   I am pro choice, let women have abortions.. It is their body, who is anyone to tell them what to do with THEIR OWN bodies ...right?  Isn't that the pro choice argument?

Then why on earth would people complain about two fully grown middle aged men who made a choice with their OWN BODIES ?

It is too easy to sit back in your seats, calling them selfish and what not...But you were not in their shoes..   I feel sorry for them to have faced such a decision, but I am not going to sit yapping about what choices they made with their own lives..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#51    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,427 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, you're right.  We should just help everyone that is too sad to live anymore, kill themselves.  And to make it super easy, we should kill them so they don't have to do it themselves.  After all, ultimately we're all going to die anyway so why not just do it and get it out of the way! :passifier:

#52    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Yeah, you're right.  We should just help everyone that is too sad to live anymore, kill themselves.  And to make it super easy, we should kill them so they don't have to do it themselves.  After all, ultimately we're all going to die anyway so why not just do it and get it out of the way!

It is their choice regardless what you or I say.. If it is legal for them and they make that choice, that's it.. Our mere opinions will not matter

#53    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,754 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

It is their choice regardless what you or I say.. If it is legal for them and they make that choice, that's it.. Our mere opinions will not matter
Our mere opinions won't matter either when the Government Bureaucrats begin making that choice for them.  No chance for recovery?  Mandated Euthanasia!  No reason to put out all that money and effort trying to save a live that can't be saved now is there? Stretch you say?  Not so much...I say.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#54    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 January 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Our mere opinions won't matter either when the Government Bureaucrats begin making that choice for them.  No chance for recovery?  Mandated Euthanasia!  No reason to put out all that money and effort trying to save a live that can't be saved now is there? Stretch you say?  Not so much...I say.

Example - If it were legal where you are now.. And you are suffering badly, that doctors can no longer help you..  If you wanted to put yourself out of the misery, then you would own that right, if it is legal, then yes, the right would be all yours

It would not matter what medial reasons there are.. IF it is legal and IF you made that choice, then that is your own choice and your own right...  Just like people chant about abortions being the right of a woman because it is her body ..I see no difference here..

#55    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Tbh I would have done the same thing too.

However I know a few deaf people from my days at Remploy.They just shrug their disability off and have a joke with the rest of the lads.They are just as able- bodied as the vast majority of us where they do have a semblance of life.And they're got pretty good eyesight.Even the language barrier isn't difficult through signing and lip- reading.

Being deaf isn't as bad as it feels. However if you lose your eyesight your like a boat without a rudder.Being deaf and blind is just like permanent twilight.So it's natural these twins would join in a pact to kill themselves.It's the added aspect of them being twins that makes it more likely or not.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#56    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 15 January 2013 - 10:19 PM, said:

Example - If it were legal where you are now.. And you are suffering badly, that doctors can no longer help you..  If you wanted to put yourself out of the misery, then you would own that right, if it is legal, then yes, the right would be all yours

It would not matter what medial reasons there are.. IF it is legal and IF you made that choice, then that is your own choice and your own right...  Just like people chant about abortions being the right of a woman because it is her body ..I see no difference here..
You are right.   I just think IF it is legal...it's still wrong.  Just because it is legal doesn't make it right...but yes, if it is legal and you want to do it...well...where is the problem other than in the minds of others who hold moralistic opinions?  That being said:  IF it is legal to mandate that Granny be euthanized on her 85th birthday, regardless of her health...and Granny's opinion didn't matter, is that a problem?

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#57    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 15 January 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Tbh I would have done the same thing too.

However I know a few deaf people from my days at Remploy.They just shrug their disability off and have a joke with the rest of the lads.They are just as able- bodied as the vast majority of us where they do have a semblance of life.And they're got pretty good eyesight.Even the language barrier isn't difficult through signing and lip- reading.

Being deaf isn't as bad as it feels. However if you lose your eyesight your like a boat without a rudder.Being deaf and blind is just like permanent twilight.So it's natural these twins would join in a pact to kill themselves.It's the added aspect of them being twins that makes it more likely or not.
They can still...feel.  They can still ...taste.   They can still...smell.  So, they could set down together, enjoy a bowl of bean chili together...passing notes in braille telling each other how good that chili tasted and...excuse me brother...Whew!  I know that didn't just rip out of my ass!

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#58    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View Postjoc, on 15 January 2013 - 10:27 PM, said:

You are right.   I just think IF it is legal...it's still wrong.  Just because it is legal doesn't make it right...but yes, if it is legal and you want to do it...well...where is the problem other than in the minds of others who hold moralistic opinions?  That being said:  IF it is legal to mandate that Granny be euthanized on her 85th birthday, regardless of her health...and Granny's opinion didn't matter, is that a problem?
It should be up to the person themself, if they can't, then their significant other or someone close to them. Any law that says a person should be killed for any other reason but (IMO) murder and rape, is wrong.

Edited by Hasina, 15 January 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#59    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I have agree with the not using the medical profession to assist.
Was just wondering if they had committed suicide themselves without assistance, if it would have affected the wills and what the family would have been able to receive? Do not know how the laws stand on this there, was just a thought if the assisted suicide would guarantee the wills being honored.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#60    joc

joc

• 12,754 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostHasina, on 15 January 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

It should be up to the person themself, if they can't, then their significant other or someone close to them. Any law that says a person should be killed for any other reason but (IMO) murder and rape, is wrong.
Oh, I can think of lots of other reasons besides murder and rape.  Bank Robbery, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery of any kind, DWI or DUI where someone else is killed, Child Molesting, Maiming someone intentionally.   I have rethought my previously held opinion that Jay Walkers should be on that list.  I will have to go with Life without the possibility of parole for JayWalking.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users