Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comet ISON CT

Merc14

This was posted over in the Astronomy and Atrophysics forum and I wanted to post it here to show why people shake their heads in disgust and disbelief at CTs

[media=]

[/media]

At one point, the ignoramus that posted this video states that the comets tail, after perihelion, isn't even pointing at the sun any longer as if this is some terrifying, otherworldly event. My little son knew at 5 years old, maybe earlier, that a comet's tail always points away from the sun http://www.windows2universe.org/comets/tail.html . He then fails to even name the conspiracy or why there would even be a conspiracy and leaves it up to his audience as if any dolt could discern the obvious cover-up. Cover up what?

After reading his audience's replies over at YouTube, I am assuming that the big conspiracy is that a huge debris field, millions of miles in size is on a collision course with earth. Slap your head in disgust stupidity again. First of all, ISON was never going to get close to earth orbit, will never return and neither will its debris field. This is actually a shame because anyone with any interest in the subject realizes that we pass through comet debris fields all the time, they are called meteor showers and are great fun to watch albeit not as many streaks as you wish to see.

There is no conspiracy here.

Edited by Merc14

Don't pay him too much mind, man. He's obviously just another idiot who thinks his ridiculous ideas deserve to be heard.

Unfortunately, the internet doesn't discriminate much against idiots... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Unfortunately,over the Last few months the internet has been awash with doomsayers and Ison conspiracy theories.

I think the latest one involves the Hopi legend of the Blue Star Katchina.

Total bull..

• Like 1

Unfortunately,over the Last few months the internet has been awash with doomsayers and Ison conspiracy theories.

I think the latest one involves the Hopi legend of the Blue Star Katchina.

Total bull..

That's why I wanted to nip it in the bud and maybe give some folks that might be buying into all this garbage some real info so they can appreciate what a comet is and what important role they played in the early history of this planet. It is a far more interesting subject than CTs and planet killing debris fields etc. etc.

Did that huge spaceship with the alien overlords that was following the Hale Bopp Comet ever show up?

And did the video explain how something that is visually verifiable by pretty much everyone on the planet can be kept secret?

Did that huge spaceship with the alien overlords that was following the Hale Bopp Comet ever show up?

And did the video explain how something that is visually verifiable by pretty much everyone on the planet can be kept secret?

After doubling down on stupid and with two minutes left in the video, he said something like, "I don't have to spell out what is going on here, I'll leave it up to you as it is easy to connect the dots." and then muttered inanities for two minutes. I'd respond on YouTube but don't know how to mask my real name so.

After doubling down on stupid and with two minutes left in the video, he said something like, "I don't have to spell out what is going on here, I'll leave it up to you as it is easy to connect the dots." and then muttered inanities for two minutes. I'd respond on YouTube but don't know how to mask my real name so.

"Connect the dots" is a standard term used by a lot of irrational CTers. It is usually used to show a rapid jump to conclusions.

They also use sheeple, wake up, truth will set you free, etc memes as if they actually mean anything.

I wouldn't bother dealing with YouTube educators. Most of them have no clue what they are talking about to begin with.

Edited by RaptorBites

Yeah, unfortunately for hundreds if not thousands of years comets have been viewed as 'bringers of doom'. Some, unfortunately, can't shake themselves from that cultural artifact.

Oy I been seeing the same thing over on certain doomsday sites, Common sense and science tells us that comets travel at a fast speed and as it starts towards Earth it begins to burn up, so by the time it gets even close to our planet it disintegrates.

The thing the youtube user has going for him is his humor. I find him a bit funny.

The thing the youtube user has going for him is his humor. I find him a bit funny.

Maybe you are right and I am being an ass. The guy may be doing an "Onion" on us and I bought it hook line and sinker. Don't know enough to determine the truth of that so bad on me! :cry:

• Like 1

The nonsense that was 2012 has become other inanities. During 2012 comet Holmes was the blue Kachina, not it is ISON. People might someday learn that comets are often photographed with blue filters to increase the contrast. Comets appear yellow to our eyes because our Sun happens to be a yellow star.

My favorite dolt story was that something was sneaking up on the Earth by heading directly at the South Pole. People actually though that somehow made it impossible to see unless you too were at the South Pole looking straight up.

I am fascinated by how easy it is to trick people into really wacky ideas. As the OP tells us even a 5 year old can figure this out.

• Like 1

This is why you hate all "conspiracy theories"? This isnt even close to why you hate them. You hate them cause there is a few big ones that you know deep down are at least possible, but would ruin your boxed in world view if they were.

BTW ison was supose to pass the earth at a distance of 40 million miles. However, since it has broken up, it has been spreading wider and wider. It went from a bulet to a shot gun blast. If it continues to spread the same way it has over the last few days, its entirely possible we may run into some of it. Not that its anywhere near as big a deal as this guy is trying to make it. But it isnt like he is swinging in the dark here. But then you already expressed your hate, while fully admiting you know nothing about the subject. Wait, why should we care what you think about it?

• Like 2

This is why you hate all "conspiracy theories"? This isnt even close to why you hate them. You hate them cause there is a few big ones that you know deep down are at least possible, but would ruin your boxed in world view if they were.

BTW ison was supose to pass the earth at a distance of 40 million miles. However, since it has broken up, it has been spreading wider and wider. It went from a bulet to a shot gun blast. If it continues to spread the same way it has over the last few days, its entirely possible we may run into some of it. Not that its anywhere near as big a deal as this guy is trying to make it. But it isnt like he is swinging in the dark here. But then you already expressed your hate, while fully admiting you know nothing about the subject. Wait, why should we care what you think about it?

The particles that made up ISON are still under the rules of physics as was the intact comet. Why should they spread out? What forces will allow them to drift? We are 92M miles from the Sun If particles are to hit us they must drift 40M miles from the original trajectory. That would require a large force to provide it with that new trajectory. What is going to do that?

• Like 1

There are conspiracy theories that certainly do merit investoigation such as the cover-up of Fast and Furious and the Beghazzi attack yet you folks spend all your seemingly endless energy on verifiably untrue things, such as there being some deep secret regarding ISON and in the process you scare millions of people that are ignoarant of the facts. ISON is no threat to the earh now and never has been and anyone who suggests that there is a reason to be afraid should be chased down and beaten rhetorcially until they recant or are made to look like the fools they are.

The worst outcome of ISON's journey around the Sun is I had to tell my 8 year old that the ISON show wouldn't be happening. He was very disappointed but it provided an opportunity for both of us to study sun grazer comets and watch the great video from the various solar observatories. I explained the distanes involved and why anyone who tells him to be afraid of this comet should be questioned and presented with the facts, which he actually had the opportunity to do and to let anyone else know that the person is uninformed and doesn't know what they are talking about. I suggest you follow his lead and get the facts and then attack rather than defend charlatans and fear miongers like the ass that made the posted video.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

The particles that made up ISON are still under the rules of physics as was the intact comet. Why should they spread out? What forces will allow them to drift? We are 92M miles from the Sun If particles are to hit us they must drift 40M miles from the original trajectory. That would require a large force to provide it with that new trajectory. What is going to do that?

I dont know. But last I saw, It had spread 5 million miles.

• Like 2

There are conspiracy theories that certainly do merit investoigation such as the cover-up of Fast and Furious and the Beghazzi attack yet you folks spend all your seemingly endless energy on verifiably untrue things, such as there being some deep secret regarding ISON and in the process you scare millions of people that are ignoarant of the facts. ISON is no threat to the earh now and never has been and anyone who suggests that there is a reason to be afraid should be chased down and beaten rhetorcially until they recant or are made to look like the fools they are.

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun. When pople appear to be hiding something, it makes people think there is something to hide. Im most dissapointed that we wont see it as the comet of the century. Now Im just hoping at least we get a couple good metor showers come January. Glad to see you dont dismiss all conspiracies though.

The worst outcome of ISON's journey around the Sun is I had to tell my 8 year old that the ISON show wouldn't be happening. He was very disappointed but it provided an opportunity for both of us to study sun grazer comets and watch the great video from the various solar observatories. I explained the distanes involved and why anyone who tells him to be afraid of this comet should be questioned and presented with the facts, which he actually had the opportunity to do and to let anyone else know that the person is uninformed and doesn't know what they are talking about. I suggest you follow his lead and get the facts and then attack rather than defend charlatans and fear miongers like the ass that made the posted video.

Yea, Ive had the same conversation with my 8 year old son. Ive never said there was anything to fear. But it is a fact that the comet is getting wider. And it is a fact that if it continues to do so at the same rate, we might have some type of contact with it. Like I said though, that in and of its self isnt a reason the be affraid.

• Like 2

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun.

I can 'blame' people for thinking it might be 'based on the actions of NASA', because it's terrible reasoning; it might make some rational sense if we lived in a world where NASA controlled the world's observatories & governments & media, let alone the US's.

I don't believe there was any 'blackout' of info, on what are you basing that? I've been hearing for a very long time that they weren't sure if the comet was going to survive it's encounter with the sun, the only thing there's been a blackout of was statements that declared for sure what would happen to the comet; since they didn't know for sure that's not what I would term a 'blackout'.

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun. When pople appear to be hiding something, it makes people think there is something to hide. Im most dissapointed that we wont see it as the comet of the century. Now Im just hoping at least we get a couple good metor showers come January. Glad to see you dont dismiss all conspiracies though.

Yea, Ive had the same conversation with my 8 year old son. Ive never said there was anything to fear. But it is a fact that the comet is getting wider. And it is a fact that if it continues to do so at the same rate, we might have some type of contact with it. Like I said though, that in and of its self isnt a reason the be affraid.

There was no blackout, that is a myth and we have encounters with comet debris all the time, it is called a meteor shower and many hit us annually.

This post right there explains to me such much about your other posts. Just because people aren't saying something means they are hiding something? Do you need NASA to hold your hand and tell you on a daily basis that you will in fact, be just fine?

• Like 2

What black out? I've been getting daily ISON updates in my Facebook feed from NASA and other sources since at least the summer.

• Like 2

I dont know. But last I saw, It had spread 5 million miles.

The spread is due to the forces acting on the pieces. My guess, and I do say guess is that the spread is along the trajectory. That is due to drag slowing some of the smaller pieces relative to the larger pieces. The drag comes from the solar wind. But the soalr wind also pushes particles away from the Sun. That is what causes the comet's tail to point away from the Sun. The heat of the Sun can also cause outgassing. That boiled off material can break up the comet as well as cause it to be propelled. If the comet becomes slightly charged it might also be possible for the Sun's magnetic field to act on the pieces. I'm guessing again, but I would not think that would amount to much. As the comet swings away from the Sun on its trajectory these interacts with the Sun are reduced. The particles could also interact with each other through collisions. This would tend to scatter the particles, especially smaller pieces.

Can it spread the particles? You are certainly correct that it does. A 2km nucleus has been spread over millions of kilometers. But almost all particles are on basically the same trajectory headed out from the inner solar system back towards the Oort cloud.

• Like 1