Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waspie_Dwarf

Skinny wormholes could send messages through time

Like some bizarre form of optical fibre, a long, thin wormhole might let you send messages through time using pulses of light.

Predicted by Einstein's general theory of relativity, wormholesartx_video.gif are tunnels connecting two points in space-time. If something could traverse one, it would open up intriguing possibilities, such as time travel and instant communications.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

So you send a fiber optic line back to a distant ancestor to get them to do (or not do) something... Someone else sees the end of the optic line just hanging in air, and blinking a light... "Demons!"

"A Witch!"... Your ancestor is burned at the stake and/or hung, you cease to exist, and therefore never send the message, therefore your ancestor is never killed....

or alternatively:

You send the line back to yourself, to give yourself some lottery numbers (or or do something else I suppose)... Your earlier self sees the line, manages to read/understand the message:

Earlier Self: "You want me to what?"

Later Self: "Buy a lottery ticket on May 22nd use these numbers......... Okay?"

Earlier Self: "No really! Who is this? Bob is this you? Are you messin' with me?"...

Later Self: "No No... This is me.. Uh... You.. .Uh.. Us... I'm just in your future!"

Earlier Self (making a raspberry sound): "Yeah Right. Say this wire thingy might make a good fishing line." Yank...

Actually Waspie, the article was pretty cool...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Taun's examples are great, but if the earlier self won the lottery he wouldn't need to send that message to his past self, he'd already have the money.

• Like 3

If this were possible would we not be receiving messages from the future. Or would we not receive anything until we invented it.

• Like 2

If this were possible would we not be receiving messages from the future. Or would we not receive anything until we invented it.

Time travel paradoxes, don't you just love them.

• Like 6

They are fun.

• Like 2

Perhaps wormholes can only be between alternate timelines, thus avoiding the paradoxes.

• Like 2

In theory, there are both time-like, and space-like paths through a wormhole. Near-instantaneous communications in a single time domain might be possible. Since wormholes are thought to be ephemeral, perhaps a packet system, something like that used on the internet could be employed. A tiny piece of a message is sent through one wormhole, the next piece through another, and so one. The pieces are then reassembled at the receiving end.

Can there be worm holes without worms?

• Like 2

Can there be worm holes without worms?

Perhaps. Mankind didnt invent worm holes or the speed of light so its possible that events in time are being broadcast by nature, so only natural that we might be recieving them.

• Like 1

Nice... what if it's sorta symbiosis between influences of the past and future? If both past and future are in a state of constant change and not static still in their "freezed time"?

• Like 1

Transition from a linear to an exponential growth of human knowledge is believed to have occurred, and knowledge is currently doubling about every twelve months. Does this argue that solution to the complex issue of time travel will have occurred sometime in the distant future? If so, where are the artifacts? Or, were we smart enough in the future to not the tamper with the past? Or, do we even have a future? Paradoxes, indeed.

Transition from a linear to an exponential growth of human knowledge is believed to have occurred, and knowledge is currently doubling about every twelve months. Does this argue that solution to the complex issue of time travel will have occurred sometime in the distant future? If so, where are the artifacts? Or, were we smart enough in the future to not the tamper with the past? Or, do we even have a future? Paradoxes, indeed.

The human experience is a long web of deceit. Deceit ends in destruction and so, the fate of mankind is set in stone. Humanity will pass into oblivion and the wolves and mountain lines and cockroaches will continue on their merry way. Thank god I am Wolven.

I suddenly have an urge to dig out my Stargate DVDs and watch the whole series all over again.

• Like 4

If it were possible to send information through a wormhole, how would you direct it to whom you wanted to receive that information?

i wanna go back to when i was 18. so nice to be young n stress-less

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

If it were possible to send information through a wormhole, how would you direct it to whom you wanted to receive that information?

just neatly put the recipitents name some-where on or at the top of the information or whatever your sending through and say the magic words mate ... jobs a good-un

I believe, the more interesting question to tackle is: how do we detect signals sent by our future selves or aliens through wormholes as part of e.g.the SETI project

i wanna go back to when i was 18. so nice to be young n stress-less

You were stress less at eighteen? Wow.
  • Like 2

Not possible. If it were possible we would already know about it from the people from the future.

I doubt it's possible too, but that we haven't heard about it from future people could have any of a number of causes and the trick still be possible.

An elementary particle, say a photon, has a trajectory into the past and also a trajectory into the future. Another example would be a car traveling down a road. We know where the car has been a minute ago (trajectory into the past) and we know where the car will be a minute from now (trajectory into the future).

In this sense, the future must already exist for the car to be where it's going to be in the next minute. This is is a way of looking at space-time. The future space must exist for the car to exist in it's future trajectory, and the time dimension must exist as well for this future position in space to exist.

This is the concept of space-time. Space and time work together to produce reality. If we plot this car space-time event from past to future, we observe the whole of this space-time event. Only considering the car event as occurring in the present moment and in the past, we are only describing this event partially. We must include the future of the event to completely describe the car event.

My point is, in this sense, the future must exist in reality, and if communication by wormhole is possible (sending messages through time), then this possibility is real.

The only problem is do wormholes actually exist, and if they do, finding one.

An elementary particle, say a photon, has a trajectory into the past and also a trajectory into the future. Another example would be a car traveling down a road. We know where the car has been a minute ago (trajectory into the past) and we know where the car will be a minute from now (trajectory into the future).

In this sense, the future must already exist for the car to be where it's going to be in the next minute. This is is a way of looking at space-time. The future space must exist for the car to exist in it's future trajectory, and the time dimension must exist as well for this future position in space to exist.

This is the concept of space-time. Space and time work together to produce reality. If we plot this car space-time event from past to future, we observe the whole of this space-time event. Only considering the car event as occurring in the present moment and in the past, we are only describing this event partially. We must include the future of the event to completely describe the car event.

My point is, in this sense, the future must exist in reality, and if communication by wormhole is possible (sending messages through time), then this possibility is real.

The only problem is do wormholes actually exist, and if they do, finding one.

Or perhaps by 'moving forward in time' the car is actually stretching space/time to include it's current location and it's temporal trajectory... As all things would do just by exisiting... Sort of creating time by traveling in it...

• Like 2

For a space-like path, the key to selecting the direction of the point at which the signal or space vessel re-enters normal space might lie in choosing the direction from which it enters the wormhole. We tend to visualize a wormhole as a three-dimensional tube attached at either end to a flat plane, which is supposed to represent normal space.

In fact, space is bridged in all three dimensions. There are no fixed entry and exit points in 3-d space. If no other factors interfere, it seems reasonable that the direction opposite of the point of entry is the likely exit point. The distance between entry and exit points is another interesting problem. This closer the path passes to the singularity, the more space is warped, and presumably the greater the distance that is bridged.

Edited by bison

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle does not allow you to know this information for wave/particles. You can not precisely know the trajectory.

• Like 1