Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Regarding recent deluge of spam posts

Likely Guy

Wouldn't it be possible to establish a threshold, say 25 posts, whereupon a new member would then be able to start a new topic or provide a status update?

I think that would really cut down on this nonsense. :)

• Like 4

I recommend fritters.

Actually, that does seem a reasonable suggestion.

We don't want to penalise legitimate members, imposing such a restriction could be disastrous for the forums.

The moderators already do a pretty good job of removing spam posts within a very short space of time.

• Like 9

What would also help is if more members would report spam posts when they see something obvious. I don't mean just post "spam" in the thread, I mean hit the report button.

Some spam posts are hard to spot and you'd be surprised how often members will reply to them in threads not realising they're spam.

• Like 7

What would also help is if more members would report spam posts when they see something obvious. I don't mean just post "spam" in the thread, I mean hit the report button.

Some spam posts are hard to spot and you'd be surprised how often members will reply to them in threads not realising they're spam.

I try my best. But because my computer is old and on dial up, I find it kinda bothersome.To Saru: Maybe make the threshold 10 posts. I don't think that anyone would find that unreasonable or that it would be "disastrous to the forums."

To Saru: Maybe make the threshold 10 posts. I don't think that anyone would find that unreasonable or that it would be "disastrous to the forums."

I doubt the majority of new members would agree with you.

• Like 3

I've reported them, I'm on dial up too, its not even good dial up and yes it does take longer.

How would you do an introduction when you join if you have to have a set number of posts to start a thread.

• Like 2

I do agree, on a requirement of 10 post before being allowed to start new threads. and usually I am ranting about freedom of speech. One forum requires several post before a person is allowed to join political and religious discussions and this worked well for that forum. It was annoying and I remember making several insignificant post just to get the required number, but it was also an achievement that gave me satisfaction.

On the other hand I am curious about this concern about spam, considering occasionally a post is filled with words that immediately lead to advertising if touch by the cursor. I don't know how that happens and to me that seems very offensive, especially when it is one of my post some unknown person is using in this way. Some days I think our focus on money has resulted in an excessive degree of immorality. I resent being used to market someone else's product.

• Like 2

if i remember correctly? it was very easy to become a member here.. there in lies the answer.. most forums are being slaughtered by over seas spammers from china, poland and everywhere.. you can block certain IPs in those type of countries, but with this forum/site having an international member base and feel to it, that wouldnt be wise.. sooo the trick is to create a question to answer on "why do you want to join UM" make it so it has to be a minimum 8 letters (but dont say that anywhere) and that should block them for quite a while..

its mercury retrograde, so my brain is fried in the memory department.. but im pretty sure there wasnt any question, and with so many people joining here each day, you do have to wonder just how many of them are real, considering the majority never post..

peace..

• Like 1

Most forums are bombarded with spam on a daily basis, I don't really see it as any more of a problem here now than at any other time.

Our existing spam counter-measures continue to prove effective.

• Like 5

If I come to this thread without signing in, my above post is full of words that bring up advertizing. If anyone knows how this happens and what I can do to prevent it, I would like to know.

I can do ten posts in my sleep .I think I have actually .

If they post ten times ,with coherent replies to topics ,at least they have proven they're legit .

It would probably also weed out the troll I HAVE ENTITIES HURTIN ME ! posts

• Like 2

I reported this topic as spam...... :su

• Like 2

Setting a limit of 10 posts before a new member could start a topic is a rather silly idea. Many spam posts are already replies to existing topics, all it would do is make ALL spam replies to existing topics. Thus only legitimate members would be penalised and the spam will be harder to spot. A lose-lose situation.

• Like 1

Setting a limit of 10 posts before a new member could start a topic is a rather silly idea. Many spam posts are already replies to existing topics, all it would do is make ALL spam replies to existing topics. Thus only legitimate members would be penalised and the spam will be harder to spot. A lose-lose situation.

"Spam posts are already replies to existing topics", comeone Waspy Dwarf. Over the last two days, every, and I do mean every spam post was written by a new memeber with 2 or 3 posts.Some now have '0' posts and promote kindle books, or concrete polishing on their status updates.

• Like 1

Am here every day and night, sadly... lol.... and I applaud the Mods in keeping the spam to a minimum. The spammers here don't survive for much longer than an hour. It ain't so on other forums around the web.

• Like 2

Am here every day and night, sadly... lol.... and I applaud the Mods in keeping the spam to a minimum. The spammers here don't survive for much longer than an hour. It ain't so on other forums around the web.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. The Mods do a great job with members help! So, maybe not 10 posts, maybe 5?

Make the spammer work for it!

• Like 2

1559606_340_1116081430036-spam.jpg

Just so that no one is confused, that was 'delicious spam'. Not what was being discussed.

• Like 2

Did any of you ever get Spam Fritters & Fries for school lunch? Awesome it was. mmmm

Ooooh! There you go go, waving your, "I had spam when I was a kid and I survived" existence! We were too poor, we had the ghastly meat by-product known as, PREM!

• Like 1

Ooooh! There you go go, waving your, "I had spam when I was a kid and I survived" existence! We were too poor, we had the ghastly meat by-product known as, PREM!

We also had caramel cake and custard! (read it and weep)

But seriously, the next spammer enrolled yesterday in order to post tomorrow.

That's what they do now. :)

Premonition: "His name starts with an O".