Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

why do people still believe in big foot

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#106    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

Wow, that went right over your head, didn't it?

Never mind.

:unsure2:

#107    AREA__51

AREA__51

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Not really, you say its only a believers job to defend it if they are trying to pass it off as fact, which is the case many, many times. Look at all the fake footage, stupid tv shows, books. All lack evidence. Believers made a very disappointing case. But you also said If you take an opposing view on anything you should be ready to defend your position. Which really doesnt make any sense at all. i didnt read it wrong, it just doesnt apply in this case.

Edited by AREA__51, 30 December 2012 - 12:43 AM.

#108    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:46 AM

This probably a waste of time and effort, but I'm in a magnanimous mood this evening.

If you take an opposing view on anything you should be ready to defend your position. It's only a believer or anyone else's job to defend if they make a supposition as fact. A belief needs only to be believed in by the person and doesn't require anyone's blessing or approval, save that of the person who claims it.

Now try reading for comprehension.

#109    AREA__51

AREA__51

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

yes, I can read. I get it, not sure why it applies. "It's only a believer or anyone else's job to defend if they make a supposition as fact." brilliant. You can move on now..

#110    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,002 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:49 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 30 December 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

Oh Crap! You come back after all. I was hoping you'd gone out in your Bigfoot costume and gotten taken by a hunter finally. Oh well. I thought you'd make rather a nice wall mount.

Yup, I came back....

Thank you, although not sure I would make a nice wall mount. A bit of a beer gut going now a days.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#111    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Double wow.

You're right, moving on now.

:huh:

View PostSakari, on 30 December 2012 - 12:49 AM, said:

Yup, I came back....

Thank you, although not sure I would make a nice wall mount. A bit of a beer gut going now a days.

It's not your gut I'd want to see on someone's wall.

#112    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Did Wallace and "family" ever say where he got the idea for the giant footprints in 1958?

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#113    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

View PostSakari, on 29 December 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Before the patterson film, a man made some prints with wooden feet to keep vandals away from his logging equipment, and started the urban legend.

It is no coincidence that Patterson also had a high regard for this person (Ray Wallace) and consulted him prior to making his Bigfoot film...

"Either the most complex and sophisticated hoax in the history of anthropology has continued for centuries without being exposed, or the most manlike (and largest) non-human primate on earth has managed to survive in parts of North America and remains undiscovered by modern science." - Forensic anthropologist George W. Gill, Former Director of the American Board of Forensic Anthropologists

Note that he says "anthropology" (the study of humankind; of our societies and cultures) rather than "biology" (study of living organisms) or even "zoology" (study of animal life). This is significant.

Following the trail of Bigfoot reveals a history of fakery and storytelling loosely based on the same theme - the Wild/Hairy Man. Such fakery and storytelling is neither overly complex nor sophisticated but it is a very human thing to do. This part of our (anglo) folkloric tradition overlaps with that of the Native Americans is reflected in the distribution of Bigfoot sightings which largely cease at the Mexican border. The folklore of the Latin culture which colonized central America overlaps with that of the Native Americans moreso in terms of "devils" (like the modern Chupucabra) than "wild/hairy-men". If Bigfoot were a real creature it would also be appearing with the same frequency south of the border and that is simply not the case...

See Mangani's Bigfoot Maps.

There is much evidence that Bigfoot is a cultural experience. There is no evidence that Bigfoot is an undocumented species.

View Postkeninsc, on 29 December 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

These guys were completely sincere in what they told me, that doesn't mean they couldn't have been mistaken you understand and that I can't rule out......because I wasn't there to see for myself. However, if these two guys told me something, I'd pretty much take it to the bank.

What, if anything, would you do if you found out they were faking it or making it up?

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#114    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 30 December 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

Did Wallace and "family" ever say where he got the idea for the giant footprints in 1958?

Mullins, a retired logger, disclosed this spring that while working for the Forest Service in 1930, he and some of his friends decided to "have some fun." Mullins fashioned a pair of 9 inch by 17 inch "feet" with a hatchet and a jack-knife from a piece of alder wood.

Bill Lambert, who was with Mullins, took the wooden feet to a spot at the base of Mount St. Helens where there were some huckleberry pickers.

According to Mullins, Lambert walked around the pickers' cars making "Bigfoot" prints. Later in the day, when Lambert and Mullins along with others were at the Ranger Station, the pickers came running to them to report the tracks.

Mullins lost track of his handiwork from the summer of 1930 until 1948, when Bert Lewis, one of the original hoaxers return them to him. In 1969 he supplied another pair of 16 inch wooden feet to Ray Wallace who allegedly took them to Northern California. Ray Wallace and Rant Mullins were neighbors in Toledo, Washington.In all, Rant Mullins claims he made eight sets of these wooden feet, most of which went to California. After explaining how he carved them, Mullins displayed his last set for the Skeptical Inquirer. They bore a striking resemblance to the 14.5 inch plaster casts of tracks cast by such famous Bigfoot proponents as Bob Gimlin, Rene Dahinden and Roger Patterson.

Mullins believes the Sasquatch legend in California and the Pacific Northwest is based solely on the hoaxes made from "his wooden feet" and says some of the Bigfoot promoters are well aware of that possibility.

http://www.bigfooten...les/mullens.htm

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#115    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

What, if anything, would you do if you found out they were faking it or making it up?

Don't know, never really considered it to be honest with you. However, one of them is dead, so unless he makes a come back from beyond I guess I'll never know. However, he never recanted it and so far as I know I'm the only one he told it to, it wasn't until we were at his wake that the subject of his quitting hunting rather abruptly as he did came up that I told the group of friends what he told me in confidence. The other is still alive and he and I have maintain contact with each other, however to try and answer your question. I really don't know what I'd "do". I am open to the possibility based on both of their stories and some odd things I've seen myself. Nothing concrete but enough to make me wonder if it isn't true.

.....and there's a huge difference in having something make you go, "Hmmmmmm?" and something make you a card carrying believer.

#116    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,002 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

deleted

Edited by Sakari, 30 December 2012 - 01:57 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#117    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,355 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

I think keninsc and Sakari need to leave each other alone. This is a word to the wise.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#118    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,002 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostLilly, on 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

I think keninsc and Sakari need to leave each other alone. This is a word to the wise.

copy that... :tu:

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#119    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

As far as the over analyzed PGF I have one simple question. Today, we have sophisticated photography equipment, easier to use, and it has only gotten better since the PGF. Yet no good BF photos to date.

Not being a photographer/filmographer, my question is, how likely is it, that I'm riding a horse, am surprised out of my skin to see a bigfoot creature, grab my camera and get such "great" footage? Would realistically this type of shot have taken some time to set up?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 30 December 2012 - 02:04 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#120    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,002 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 30 December 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

As far as the over analyzed PGF I have one simple question. Today, we have sophisticated photography equipment, easier to use, and it has only gotten better since the PGF. Yet no good BF photos to date.

Not being a photographer/filmographer, my question is, how likely is it, that I'm riding a horse, am surprised out of my skin to see a bigfoot creature, grab my camera and get such "great" footage? Would realistically this type of shot have taken some time to set up?

My answer, yes......And it was.

And I hope your husbands recovery is going well.

Edited by Sakari, 30 December 2012 - 02:07 AM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users