Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zoo monkeys feel stressed when being watched

Still Waters

No-one likes being stared at, and finding out that you are being eyeballed by a stranger can be unnerving.

But now we know that it isn't just humans who are spooked by the feeling of being spied on.

Monkeys also react badly - and get stressed and become more aggressive when they are being watched by people in zoos, a study has found.

http://www.dailymail...tudy-finds.html

A study was actually needed to discover the obvious that simians (apes and monkeys) don't like being stared at all day? Wow. Science really IS at an all-time low.

Edited by Ryu

Well yeah. Most animals I know of take eye contact or staring as some kind of challenge or aggressive threat. Of course it would stress them out!

A study was actually needed to discover the obvious that simians (apes and monkeys) don't like being stared at all day? Wow. Science really IS at an all-time low.

Science is nowhere near an "all-time low". Behavior studies are important, especially in captive animals, to better gauge their stress responses and to develop methods to deal with that stress response. All this works to better conservation, breeding, and the animals overall happiness in a captive situation.

It would seem that it it public understanding of science that is at an all-time low.

Science is nowhere near an "all-time low". Behavior studies are important, especially in captive animals, to better gauge their stress responses and to develop methods to deal with that stress response. All this works to better conservation, breeding, and the animals overall happiness in a captive situation.

It would seem that it it public understanding of science that is at an all-time lo.

So, basically zoos are just a big, public animal experiment lab. I already knew animals have feelings like we do. It more seems that scientists and doctors don't believe animals and babies share the same feelings and pain thresholds because they cannot verbally tell us how they feel in a way humans can understand. Just because a creature cannot say 'Ow, that hurts.', visibly cry, or tell us exactly what's on their mind and how they feel inside, doesn't mean they are not experiencing, stress, pain and trauma. Apparently, scientist have to have proof of these things and conduct experiments for decades and centuries. It's not even that I don't understand the why's. It's more like I don't understand the point or the lack of compassion. Must be a bunch cold psychopaths that runs these joints.

• Like 1

So, basically zoos are just a big, public animal experiment lab.

No. They're not. But they are important for conservation.

I already knew animals have feelings like we do. It more seems that scientists and doctors don't believe animals and babies share the same feelings and pain thresholds because they cannot verbally tell us how they feel in a way humans can understand. Just because a creature cannot say 'Ow, that hurts.', visibly cry, or tell us exactly what's on their mind and how they feel inside, doesn't mean they are not experiencing, stress, pain and trauma.

It's well known that animals experience stress, pain, and trauma. And no, not all animals have the same capacity nor range of emotion that humans demonstrate.

Apparently, scientist have to have proof of these things and conduct experiments for decades and centuries. It's not even that I don't understand the why's. It's more like I don't understand the point or the lack of compassion. Must be a bunch cold psychopaths that runs these joints.

Apparently, you don't understand the point of science. There is no "lack of compassion". I already explained why studies like this are useful, you just choose to add malicious motives to it for some reason.

• Like 1

I cant imagine a bunch of monkeys staring at me through the glass; sounds scary.

Good study, I wonder how this will be applied after a hypothesis develops.

Edited by MeOnlyMe

No. They're not. But they are important for conservation.

It's well known that animals experience stress, pain, and trauma. And no, not all animals have the same capacity nor range of emotion that humans demonstrate.

Apparently, you don't understand the point of science. There is no "lack of compassion". I already explained why studies like this are useful, you just choose to add malicious motives to it for some reason.

I have different perspectives on things, yes. "Malicious"? No. I just have strong views!

And just because an animal doesn't demonstrate emotions like we do, doesn't mean they can't feel. You most certainly see how an animal is feeling if you really look at it. Anyone who has had a pet and spent a lot of time training, playing and cuddling with their pet knows that animals do have emotions.

I have different perspectives on things, yes. "Malicious"? No. I just have strong views!

And just because an animal doesn't demonstrate emotions like we do, doesn't mean they can't feel. You most certainly see how an animal is feeling if you really look at it. Anyone who has had a pet and spent a lot of time training, playing and cuddling with their pet knows that animals do have emotions.

I never said that animals did not have emotion.