Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

UFO: the truth may not be out there after all

ufology ufo watchers

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,916 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

For decades, they have been scanning the skies for signs of alien activity.

But having failed to establish any evidence for the existence of extraterrestrial life, Britain’s UFO watchers are reaching the conclusion that the truth might not be out there after all.

Enthusiasts admit that a continued failure to provide proof and a decline in the number of “flying saucer” sightings suggests that aliens do not exist after all and could mean the end of “Ufology” – the study of UFOs – within the next decade.

http://www.telegraph...-after-all.html

Posted Image

#2    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

a dark, sarcastic, depressing blanket of nihilism

• 25,354 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 04 November 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

For decades, they have been scanning the skies for signs of alien activity.

But having failed to establish any evidence for the existence of extraterrestrial life, Britain’s UFO watchers are reaching the conclusion that the truth might not be out there after all.

Enthusiasts admit that a continued failure to provide proof and a decline in the number of “flying saucer” sightings suggests that aliens do not exist after all and could mean the end of “Ufology” – the study of UFOs – within the next decade.

http://www.telegraph...-after-all.html
Oh, don't talk drivel. Honestly, because people on one small planet don't think that they have (to their satisfaction) found "Proof", they've concluded that suggests that aliens do not exist after all? How's that for leaping to conclusions from completely inadequate data?
And is there really a decline in the number of “flying saucer” sightings?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#3    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

With the introduction of the internet there has been a huge increase in the number of clubs, associations, organisations etc, related to the ET hypothesis for explaining UFO's.  This appears to have generated an increase in TV shows related to it as well.  Add into that the hype regarding 2012.  There were a lot of newbies brought in due to the increase in interest.  Events such as the Disclosure Project have brought the subject into mainstream news.  Simple CGI techniques and the advent or cool toys like quadrotors have led to a huge increase in pranksters pulling off hoaxes.
I think what's happening is that now that many people have seen all there is to offer, they are losing interest and dropping out.
The die-hards will stick around.  I've been at it over 3 decades now and I'm not going away.
This news article is just spin-doctoring exactly what I'm saying here.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#4    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,869 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

While I don't think UFOlogy is going anywhere any time soon I do agree with this bit here:

Mr Wood added: “When you go to UFO conferences it is mainly people going over these old cases, rather than bringing new ones to the fore.
“There is a trend where a large proportion of UFO studies are tending towards conspiracy theories, which I don’t think is particularly helpful.”

Edited by Slave2Fate, 04 November 2012 - 03:24 PM.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#5    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 04 November 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

While I don't think UFOlogy is going anywhere any time soon I do agree with this bit here:

Yes, and these also seem to be the more prevalent among discussions here as well.  With today's easy accessibility to footage, photographs, and information it is getting more and more difficult to spin modern sightings with quite the same level of mystery as older cases carried.

#6    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,869 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 04 November 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Yes, and these also seem to be the more prevalent among discussions here as well.  With today's easy accessibility to footage, photographs, and information it is getting more and more difficult to spin modern sightings with quite the same level of mystery as older cases carried.

If something like Roswell happened today, with pictures able to be spread across the internet in minutes, I don't think it would be possible at all to cover something like that up even if the government tried. And while absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence, it still equals absence of evidence.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#7    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

View Post747400, on 04 November 2012 - 12:18 PM, said:

Oh, don't talk drivel. Honestly, because people on one small planet don't think that they have (to their satisfaction) found "Proof", they've concluded that suggests that aliens do not exist after all? How's that for leaping to conclusions from completely inadequate data?
And is there really a decline in the number of “flying saucer” sightings?
I agree with this comment, NUFF SAID

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#8    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,010 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

I see ! Now we are reverse thinking the problem,we need to just Keep looking up ! Sooner or Later,One way or the other there gonna getzya You know the drill ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#9    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

• My god its almost year end again!

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Thats true i too am waiting for something to happen but to no avail. What if the roswell thing was really a weather balloon? Have also read about so many alien incidences but with no proof. Whether they r hiding the truth or not we never know. Anyway am still waiting...

#10    Majikwayz

Majikwayz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I believe they are real, but i would like a major event to happen that is tangible evidence as well, the videos on internet are very good if you can weed out the fake stuff, some videos are incredible!!!

#11    sergeantflynn

sergeantflynn

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• WHY WORRY ?

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Get realistic . If the media says there`s nothing out there then obviously we are wasting our time .

#12    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,661 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Let the simple minded unbelievers carry on,until an Alien kicks their butt,there are too many positive sightings by responsible people to deny existence of Alien life.So the sightings have dropped off,maybe because Aliens want that to happen.And we know (unless you're as thick as pig ****)that the media tell untruths and cover up items,for their own twisted reasons.WAIT AND SEE.

#13    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well, I don't care what the article says.
All I have to do is look at the beautiful Hubble pictures of the billions of galaxies and I am totally certain that there are thriving civilizations out there that we may never, ever know about.

#14    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Great article, I was going to post the link but you beat me to it. With the advances in technology available to us today, the thought would be an increase in UFO sightings, not a decrease. The only increase is with the hoaxes. Aliens are not going to travel vast interstellar distances to just tease Earthlings with fuzzy sightings. The day that an alien species lands and announces their presence will be the day I believe again, otherwise it is just blind faith based upon decade old conspiracies.

#15    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

But we should really bring one down & take it apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users