Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Archaeologists find Bulgarian 'vampires'

vampires bulgaria

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Zirna

Zirna

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

View PostTaun, on 06 June 2012 - 08:08 PM, said:

Oops! I knew that... Doh!!!

Still a good theory though.

The Dictum of St. Thomas Aquinas:

Omnes angeli, boni et Mali, ex virtute naturali habent potestatem transmutandi corpora nostra

#17    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

I think  it is interesting that most 'scholars' believe that the vampire craze didn't really begin until Bram Stoker's book. These people seem pretty "crazed" about it. Where did THEY get it from? Ya know..

#18    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,655 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:22 AM

I wonder if they found any concrete like glittering skin. (Think Twilight) :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#19    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostZirna, on 06 June 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

It's impossible to test skeletal remains for rabies.  In order to test for rabies,  a piece of brain tissue has to be tested.

You appear to be forgetting something. If you pull the stake out they'll come back to life. Therefore you can check the brain tissue.

#20    esperwolf

esperwolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 39 posts

• A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yes that is why seperating head from body was also common. It also the most effective way.

#21    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,886 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostMider, on 07 June 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

I think  it is interesting that most 'scholars' believe that the vampire craze didn't really begin until Bram Stoker's book. These people seem pretty "crazed" about it. Where did THEY get it from? Ya know..

One theory is that the legends arose from the misunderstanding of the symptoms of Porphyria - anemia, sensitivity to sunlight and periodic insanity. Anemia victims sometimes resorted to drinking the blood of animals in an attempted cure.

(Ealdwita snippet) .... King George III is thought to have been a porphyria sufferer, (hence the 'madness' tag).

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#22    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 07 June 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

You appear to be forgetting something. If you pull the stake out they'll come back to life. Therefore you can check the brain tissue.

They were staked in order to NOT turn into Vampires. If they hadn't turned before being staked, removing it wouldn't do anything...

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#23    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostMstrMsn, on 08 June 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

They were staked in order to NOT turn into Vampires. If they hadn't turned before being staked, removing it wouldn't do anything...

Unless they were infected as vampires whilst in the grave as the people that buried them obviously believed possible... :w00t:

A thing they used to do in eastern europe was to roll the corpse up tightly in a long rug, fasten it with hundreds of knotted strings and bury it head first at a cross roads. The cross roads represented the crusifix, the rug was thought to be houdini proof, in old lore a vampire would have to undo all knots before it could move on, and lastly they thought that if buried upside down it would dig downwards instead of up.

I'd have just put it through a meat grinder and fed it to the pigs, but hey

#24    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,727 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 08 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Unless they were infected as vampires whilst in the grave as the people that buried them obviously believed possible... :w00t:

A thing they used to do in eastern europe was to roll the corpse up tightly in a long rug, fasten it with hundreds of knotted strings and bury it head first at a cross roads. The cross roads represented the crusifix, the rug was thought to be houdini proof, in old lore a vampire would have to undo all knots before it could move on, and lastly they thought that if buried upside down it would dig downwards instead of up.

I'd have just put it through a meat grinder and fed it to the pigs, but hey

Undead vampiric pigs we don't need....

#25    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostTaun, on 08 June 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

Undead vampiric pigs we don't need....

Pigs may fly - all else becomes plausable

#26    InfamousI

InfamousI

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I feel like most people probably have heard the theory for the catalyst for vampirism. Europe, already containing a wealth of nonsense folkloric myth and legend; unfortunately, has been plagued by more than just a lack of education with a lot of these stories of anthropomorphic and metamorphic victims. Having gone to school with a couple gentleman from Bulgaria and my exgf being from Albania, I've heard of; needless to say; quite a few real life horror stories. Having been in isolation for so many years, many of the people in these areas obviously aren't going to be even high school diploma savy, especially in the more mountainous regions of eastern Europe. This isn't to say that these people are dumb, but they only have so many ways to explain particular events that they have witnessed but clueless to the concept of. One of those examples is cannibalism. With a lot of eastern European culture being very old world based (Romania, Kosovo, etc) in their beliefs, the idea of eating another human being is something only a "demon" or "devil"  could do. Unfortunately, after WWII, many soldiers in this part of the world were forced to walk home from Russia or Germany; due to the horrible treatment Russian military had provided. In many cases even worse than Nazi. During these trials over hundreds of miles, many man were faced with awful decisions to survive the cold trek home. Yup you guessed it. They ate each other. Human flesh, being one of the most addictive substances on earth, was set as a standard for (and I'm not saying very many people) many combat trained veterans. When one comes home back into the conservative slow paced life of farming, and you get caught eating someone, you can only imagine the severity of effort those people would go to keep themselves and their families safe, especially after the fall of a genocidal regime. But that's just part of the story. There's gotta be countless theories for vampires. Mine was more of the modern tale.

#27    TattooMan

TattooMan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• Keep an open mind about things you don't understand. You will be more likely to accept it, rather then react out of fear.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

@ Mider... where do you think the vampire myth originated??? Bram Stoker learned of the vampire myth from eastern Europe and wrote Dracula to romanticize that myth. The vampire legend was around long before Stoker. Same holds true of other myths and legends that were around before they were put into books.

#28    KNash

KNash

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• "She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

I read that it was also common practice to bury the dead with nets over their bodies so that the "vampire" would be stuck in the grave and would only be able to untie the knots at a rate of one per year before ever being able to get out. And that the heart was sometimes cut out and boiled.

#29    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Interesting insight into old customs and beliefs. I think these vampire myths might have arisen from the activities of early serial killers. It may have been too incomprehensible for people back then - as it is for many today - to think that an 'ordinary' person could do such things, so they attributed it to 'supernatural, evil beings' - vampires.

#30    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,893 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

I thought it originated from Count Vlad the Impaler..

http://en.wikipedia....lad_the_Impaler

But even Count Vlad was chosen by Bram Stoker specifically for his easy assimilation into an existing lore about vampirism I suspect

Edited by libstaK, 01 July 2012 - 08:42 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

Also tagged with vampires, bulgaria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users