Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Michigan Votes for Right to Work Status

and-then

What's your opinion on "right to work"?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/08/michigan-republicans-push-right-to-work-bill-amid-protests-from-union/

I support Unionization of private entities but NEVER for public employees.

People should be able to work without being forced to join organizations with which they may disagree. Plain and simple.

• Like 9

So what sounds better? The right to not pay for union dues if you don't want or no right to. Down with public unions. They're a drain on tax payers and little more than a legal mafia these days. They came around, they did good things. Mission accomplished. They're the same as the government. Power hungry greedy leaders don't know how to run a business yet insist on telling you how to and taking your money for it.

• Like 4

I'm not sure what there is to protest about. Isn't all this legislation going to do is allow to opt not to join the Unions? As far as I know it's not restricting their powers at all. Just as long as it's made so companies can't treat unionized and non-unionized employees differently anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what there is to protest about. Isn't all this legislation going to do is allow to opt not to join the Unions? As far as I know it's not restricting their powers at all. Just as long as it's made so companies can't treat unionized and non-unionized employees differently anyway.

It takes away union powers to force people to pay them and, big surprise, the democrats don't like it. It's not about the workers to those guys. It's about the money and who it goes to.

• Like 1

So what sounds better? The right to not pay for union dues if you don't want or no right to. Down with public unions. They're a drain on tax payers and little more than a legal mafia these days. They came around, they did good things. Mission accomplished. They're the same as the government. Power hungry greedy leaders don't know how to run a business yet insist on telling you how to and taking your money for it.

Unions don't care anymore. It's always about themselves.

• Like 1

Yeah. I am not sure why the Unions would be offended. Clearly if their union members want to pay dues, they can. If someone wants to be part of a union, they can. But, this allows some to Not be Forced to join a union and Forced to pay dues, if they don't want to be part of the union.

When people are forced into the union, just to work in their chosen field, against their wishes, then I don't see how Democrats can say that that Forcing of people is not wrong. Is it simply because the unions fund the Democrats? If a non-union corporation was forcing their employees to give them back a fee every payday for whatever reason, Democrats would be up in arms and pushing neighboring activists to picket the place.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

Eh, basically what they are mad about is the fact that they have to work to get better working conditions, rights, pay raises, benefits, etc for workers that don't support them politically or financially. When you pay money towards something you tend to get involved in it more. So yeah, it does erode their power and influence.

My view on the whole subject is that labor is a resource and unions are basically companies that try to get the most value out of that resource. When companies can get labor from other sources than the union, it cheapens the value of their product and the union loses out. Hence the anger.

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 1

You mean workers in MI don't need permission from some unelected group of kneecap-breaking thugs to get a tax-payer funded job? Scandal!

• Like 2

IMO, Unions are part of the overall problem. They suck the system and have been proven to hurt most who they desired to protect. What feels good isn't always good.

• Like 3

You mean workers in MI don't need permission from some unelected group of kneecap-breaking thugs to get a tax-payer funded job? Scandal!

It wouldn't be tax payer funded jobs, it would be any job.

IMO, Unions are part of the overall problem. They suck the system and have been proven to hurt most who they desired to protect. What feels good isn't always good.

I agree somewhat, they serve a purpose, but they are not really efficiently modeled. Bureaucracy has settled in. Labor has also provided a convienient scape goat for management for companies failures over the years as well. The whole twinkie situation is an example of that in my opinion. I've also seen alot of people who listen to Rush and the like and then think they won the lottery with a union job. Needless to say they don't last very long. Man Power and other temp services also provide labor without alot of the hassles that go with unions. Personally, I think unions will decline until we get a series of large fatal accidents based off employer neglect or other instances of gross abuse. After that public opinion will slowly swing back and a unions or something of it's ilk will come back again.

• Like 1

These bills are a right to get fired for no cause and lowers the Union power to get those befits. It also makes things harder to forum a Union since they make stupid conditions or rules you have to follow to then you have to get the company to recognize this Union in these states. You wonder why they hate these laws because it does take the power away from the workers, which Unions tend to represent and places their rights in to a corporation hands.

We have legal rights to forum a Union based on the first amendment which gives us the right to assemble. Unions aren't the problem it corporate hacks that try to garner the system to fit their needs. Like those millionaires that get Unemployment checks and Governor Rick Scott who was convicted of Medicare fraud and you wonder why I don't trust the government or the company bosses to have my interest at heart!

• Like 1

These bills are a right to get fired for no cause and lowers the Union power to get those befits. It also makes things harder to forum a Union since they make stupid conditions or rules you have to follow to then you have to get the company to recognize this Union in these states. You wonder why they hate these laws because it does take the power away from the workers, which Unions tend to represent and places their rights in to a corporation hands.

We have legal rights to forum a Union based on the first amendment which gives us the right to assemble. Unions aren't the problem it corporate hacks that try to garner the system to fit their needs. Like those millionaires that get Unemployment checks and Governor Rick Scott who was convicted of Medicare fraud and you wonder why I don't trust the government or the company bosses to have my interest at heart!

Alright so say you are a conservative who works for a union and there is a 99% chance that union is lobbying to democrats with your union dues, because there probably really is a 99% chance they are, would you still think they are acting on your behalf? Union leadership is no different than the politicians and fatcat CEO's except that CEO's usually know how to run a business and create jobs. In fact, they're the only one of the three groups that actually provide anything.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

So, any qualified person could walk into a union business and get a job without joining? Besides being harassed by the union to join I can't see how this would be a bad thing.

So, any qualified person could walk into a union business and get a job without joining? Besides being harassed by the union to join I can't see how this would be a bad thing.

that's how it is here in Oz, and the Unions basically kicked off one of our political parties.

Alright so say you are a conservative who works for a union and there is a 99% chance that union is lobbying to democrats with your union dues, because there probably really is a 99% chance they are, would you still think they are acting on your behalf? Union leadership is no different than the politicians and fatcat CEO's except that CEO's usually know how to run a business and create jobs. In fact, they're the only one of the three groups that actually provide anything.

Sorry Mr. Fess, you are wrong on this. Union dues DO NOT GO TO POLITICAL PARTIES. It is illegal to do so.

• Like 1

That's the way it is in my state. I don't have a huge issue with it. However, in those Union-represented work groups, contracts and bargaining (which is largly where Union dues go) on this employees behalf is still happening. I'm sure this employee would like to take advantage of any Union bargained raise or benefit addition.

that's how it is here in Oz, and the Unions basically kicked off one of our political parties.

We are almost halfway there...23 states are right to work states.

Sorry Mr. Fess, you are wrong on this. Union dues DO NOT GO TO POLITICAL PARTIES. It is illegal to do so.

That's the way it is in my state. I don't have a huge issue with it. However, in those Union-represented work groups, contracts and bargaining (which is largly where Union dues go) on this employees behalf is still happening. I'm sure this employee would like to take advantage of any Union bargained raise or benefit addition.

I don't know what loophole the unions are using, but they are big contributors to one particular party. It takes but a moment to look that up.

If a benefit happens upon the worker all the better...I simply don't believe in the strong arm tactics of a union in this day and age.

• Like 1

Michigan will see a rise in business locating there if this law holds. Companies tend to go where they don't have to deal with Union BS. Look at all the auto manufacturing that is coming south. I don't know how accurate it is but I saw a story about an Alabama Power crew going up to New Jersey to help with storm work cleanup and being called scabs and told they weren't needed. Now THAT is an out of control union situation.

Michigan will see a rise in business locating there if this law holds. Companies tend to go where they don't have to deal with Union BS. Look at all the auto manufacturing that is coming south. I don't know how accurate it is but I saw a story about an Alabama Power crew going up to New Jersey to help with storm work cleanup and being called scabs and told they weren't needed. Now THAT is an out of control union situation.

VW came to Chattanooga, without a union, and people are very happy with their wages.

The power crew was turned away in one area, but was able to work in another. I do agree that was shameful, especially with lives in danger due to the cold. Unions have lost the ability to see the bigger picture.

• Like 1

Well then how exactly do unions make money because they most definitely give untold millions to the democrat party. Unions are not a business, right? Do they get money from unionized company jobs or services, thereby making them practically business partners? Seriously, if it's not from the dues how do they have all those millions to lobby with and pay protesters across the country to fight for causes they're not even aware of? Supervike, I'm looking to you for answers.

Well then how exactly do unions make money because they most definitely give untold millions to the democrat party. Unions are not a business, right? Do they get money from unionized company jobs or services, thereby making them practically business partners? Seriously, if it's not from the dues how do they have all those millions to lobby with and pay protesters across the country to fight for causes they're not even aware of? Supervike, I'm looking to you for answers.

A lot of unions set up a seperate political action fund that goes towards lobbying and is seperate from the union itself. Members generally vote to contribute to this fund, to lobby on their behalf. Union membership here in Iowa tends to be 1/6 republican, 1/6 democrat, 1/6 libertarian, and 1/2 too lazy to vote from my experience.

A lot of unions set up a seperate political action fund that goes towards lobbying and is seperate from the union itself. Members generally vote to contribute to this fund, to lobby on their behalf. Union membership here in Iowa tends to be 1/6 republican, 1/6 democrat, 1/6 libertarian, and 1/2 too lazy to vote from my experience.

Which must make you wonder how they accumulate millions let alone millions for just one party. I find it hard to believe they could gain such funding election after election on volunteered funds alone with or without that kind of political division you show. Even if every member was a full fledged democrat the fraction of those willing to contribute to such funds would never garner the significant amounts of money especially election after election and then you gotta think about how many of those contributors are contributing anything of real significance like more than a buck or two each paycheck.

Which must make you wonder how they accumulate millions let alone millions for just one party. I find it hard to believe they could gain such funding election after election on volunteered funds alone with or without that kind of political division you show. Even if every member was a full fledged democrat the fraction of those willing to contribute to such funds would never garner the significant amounts of money especially election after election and then you gotta think about how many of those contributors are contributing anything of real significance like more than a buck or two each paycheck.

The power of people. A union that is a million strong donating $1 a paycheck adds up quick. But for the most part I think people over estimate the power of unions. The company I work for is an interstate company and beat a smaller merit shop on a $100,000 job by $10,000. The requirements of the job required that we had to use material from the same vendor and that was $80,000 of the cost of the project. The merit shop owner had a fit. He knew the price of union labor and knew that there was no way for our company to beat his bid. He told the customer that the union must of "Bought" the job just to get him and that the big money from Washington was being brought in to drive him out of business. The customer asked me if this was true. Turns out the material vendor gave us a 15% discount because we were an interstate company and they wanted to develop a business relationship with us.