Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

2.3M Christians Flee in From Syria


  • Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,916 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 06 April 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Not to play the devil's advocate here, but due to the Iraq war, there are millions of Iraqi orphans and there are millions of Iraqi refugees.

Between 2003-2013, there have been 111,878-122,380 violent Iraqi civilian deaths. That is outrageous. http://www.iraqbodycount.org/
So from 130000 dead you extrapolate millions of both orphans and refugees?  I question the veracity of those numbers but even if they are true, how does that change the plight of Christians in a totally different country?  Are we excusing one bad behavior because of another?

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#32    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined:05 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tokyo

  • When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostErikl, on 03 April 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

2.3M Christians Flee in Mass Exodus From Syria
Read more at http://www.christian...golpUp7L48Ld.99

About 65 years ago, the Middle East has been ethnically cleansed from Jews in the name of Arab nationalism. Now, it is being wiped clean of indigenous Christian people in the name of Islamist nationalism. This is the face of the Islamist winter.


I doubt that 2.3 million Christians are fleeing all at once, but yes, the future for the Christian, Jewish, Druze,and other minorities in Syria, which were safe under the Assad regime, is bleak indeed.

That Obama and other Western politicians are supporting the islamist rebellion against Assad is not only insane, it is criminal.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#33    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined:05 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tokyo

  • When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostYamato, on 04 April 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Flee in from Syria to where?   What has the Israeli government said they're going to do about the mass exodus Erikl?


Israel has nothing to do with the islamist rebellion in Syria. And it certainly is not big enough to accommodate 2.3 million refugees. Most of them will eventually end up in Europe, since life for Christians is getting increasingly hazardous for non-muslims everywhere in the rapidly radicalizing Middle East.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#34    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,916 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 06 April 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Israel has nothing to do with the islamist rebellion in Syria. And it certainly is not big enough to accommodate 2.3 million refugees. Most of them will eventually end up in Europe, since life for Christians is getting increasingly hazardous for non-muslims everywhere in the rapidly radicalizing Middle East.
And there is a certain justice in that I guess.  Syria I think, is the newest face of this building conflict.  The old hatreds are boiling to the surface and new political stratagems are being woven onto them.  There will be no safe subgroups once the rebels hold sway - except maybe Sunnis.  What a mess.  And never forget the chemical weapons.  If the west makes a deal with the devil to protect those things it will be a deal that will not be kept.  I don't fancy the idea of a little sarin with my popcorn at the next movie I attend.

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#35    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined:05 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tokyo

  • When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 04 April 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

Israel will say"We will build more houses and get rid of all non Jewish people"

That is a ridiculous statement. The Christian, Druze, and yes muslim populations (15% and growing) in Israel have the same rights and protections as Jewish citizens.
That is not something you can say about any of the islamist hellholes surrounding Israel. The Gazah strip,under Hamas rule by the way has been 100% ethnically cleansed of all Jews, by the way. Great example for islamist tolerance...

Your one-liner might sound cute, but is totally moronic.

Edited by Zaphod222, 06 April 2013 - 02:38 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#36    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined:05 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tokyo

  • When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postand then, on 06 April 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

And there is a certain justice in that I guess.  Syria I think, is the newest face of this building conflict.  The old hatreds are boiling to the surface and new political stratagems are being woven onto them.  There will be no safe subgroups once the rebels hold sway - except maybe Sunnis.  What a mess.  And never forget the chemical weapons.  If the west makes a deal with the devil to protect those things it will be a deal that will not be kept.  I don't fancy the idea of a little sarin with my popcorn at the next movie I attend.

Syria is not the face of any "building conflict". Syria is the face of the sunni islamist takeover sweeping the region. Which our naive politicians like to mislabel as "Arab spring".

The ony connection to Israel here is that once the Muslim Brotherhood/Al Quaeda takeover of Syria is completed, Israels situation will be even more precarious.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#37    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,916 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 06 April 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Syria is not the face of any "building conflict". Syria is the face of the sunni islamist takeover sweeping the region. Which our naive politicians like to mislabel as "Arab spring".

The ony connection to Israel here is that once the Muslim Brotherhood/Al Quaeda takeover of Syria is completed, Israels situation will be even more precarious.
We can agree to disagree on names - I consider it to be an escalating situation is my point.  I agree that the Sunnis seem to be in the ascendancy as far as we can see at this point but it only makes Iran more twitchy to get their bomb I imagine.  And when they do... the game REALLY gets interesting, no?

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#38    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

View Postand then, on 06 April 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

So from 130000 dead you extrapolate millions of both orphans and refugees?  I question the veracity of those numbers but even if they are true, how does that change the plight of Christians in a totally different country?  Are we excusing one bad behavior because of another?

I was pointing out some irony to the poster I responded to and this wasn't any personal extrapolation. And just google "Iraq war refugees" and "Iraq war orphans". It is all over the net.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#39    GoSC

GoSC

    HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

  • Member
  • 2,615 posts
  • Joined:26 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Silver Mountain

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostZaphod222, on 06 April 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

That is a ridiculous statement. The Christian, Druze, and yes muslim populations (15% and growing) in Israel have the same rights and protections as Jewish citizens.
That is not something you can say about any of the islamist hellholes surrounding Israel. The Gazah strip,under Hamas rule by the way has been 100% ethnically cleansed of all Jews, by the way. Great example for islamist tolerance...

Your one-liner might sound cute, but is totally moronic.

Ah shaddup!

Because those were illegal Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip as are the Jewish Settlements in the West Bank and Jerusalem.

These settlers live on the high grounds and hills are notorious for diverting their sewage to spill into the fields and towns of the Palestinians making a living in the valleys below.



Young American Jews & Israel What Jews under 35 feel towards Israel goes beyond apathy to outright resentment.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#40    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,916 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 07 April 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Ah shaddup!

Because those were illegal Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip as are the Jewish Settlements in the West Bank and Jerusalem.

These settlers live on the high grounds and hills are notorious for diverting their sewage to spill into the fields and towns of the Palestinians making a living in the valleys below.



Young American Jews & Israel What Jews under 35 feel towards Israel goes beyond apathy to outright resentment.
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to blow up buses or target kindergartens to me.  American Jews seem to feel superior to those in Israel.  Not sure why they do, kind of funny.  But Israel possess the land - and they always will.  No matter how much they are hated by the world.

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#41    Almagest

Almagest

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Joined:16 Mar 2013

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

It sickens me that people would try to politicize this issue. Religious persecutions are just bad. I have no love for the Abrahamic monotheisms and I don't care to draw distinctions between their dogmas.

What I do have love for is the right for people to worship and believe what they want and not risk death or exile.

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites Form & Chaos, Substance & Oblivion, Light & Dark And all the infinite variations of Yin & Yang
When the pendulum swings in favour of one It will eventually swing in favour of it's opposite Thus the balance of the universe is maintained

-Jeru the Damaja

#42    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postand then, on 07 April 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to blow up buses or target kindergartens to me.  American Jews seem to feel superior to those in Israel.  Not sure why they do, kind of funny.  But Israel possess the land - and they always will.  No matter how much they are hated by the world.


There is a reason they are disliked, that video just proves another big reason. But saying they are hated by tthe world is just nonsense. The US doesn't hate Israel, otherwise thye wouldn't support them.


Do you agree with what they where doing then? Do yout hink that it is ok?!

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#43    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Joined:12 Dec 2006
  • Gender:Female

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostJeffertonturner, on 03 April 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Yes it sucks when someone forces their religious beliefs on you.

Exactly why I just can't feel bad for the Christians.


For various reasons I did not want to participate in this thread, despite your post! However, last Friday 5 people were shot dead, 2 churches as well as one home were burnt, and there is talk about forced evacuation of a Christian community in Khusus, Egypt.  As I’m writing now the main cathedral in Cairo is being attacked and so far, one person was fatally shot. Riot police are firing tear gas at mourners in the cathedral!

Generally, one differentiates between the ‘annoying’, the ‘morally wrong’, the ‘unjust’, and the downright criminal. People forcing their beliefs on you is annoying, but you can always tell the enterprising preachers off, hang up on them, or even slam your door in their face! However, snipers shooting innocent people in the head, attacks on churches, homes, and kindergartens fall under the ‘criminal’ category.  These victims and the ME Christians in general, have had no hand in ‘annoying’ you, their lives and suffering should warrant a little more than a shrug motivated by some pesky preachers on another continent.

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-mourners-mob-police-clash-egypt-154013162.html

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/update-one-reported-dead-abbasseya-cathedral


#44    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 12,916 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postmeryt-tetisheri, on 07 April 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:



For various reasons I did not want to participate in this thread, despite your post! However, last Friday 5 people were shot dead, 2 churches as well as one home were burnt, and there is talk about forced evacuation of a Christian community in Khusus, Egypt.  As I’m writing now the main cathedral in Cairo is being attacked and so far, one person was fatally shot. Riot police are firing tear gas at mourners in the cathedral!

Generally, one differentiates between the ‘annoying’, the ‘morally wrong’, the ‘unjust’, and the downright criminal. People forcing their beliefs on you is annoying, but you can always tell the enterprising preachers off, hang up on them, or even slam your door in their face! However, snipers shooting innocent people in the head, attacks on churches, homes, and kindergartens fall under the ‘criminal’ category.  These victims and the ME Christians in general, have had no hand in ‘annoying’ you, their lives and suffering should warrant a little more than a shrug motivated by some pesky preachers on another continent.

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-mourners-mob-police-clash-egypt-154013162.html

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/update-one-reported-dead-abbasseya-cathedral
This was the point I felt needed to be made but realized it probably would not convince most who felt angry at Christianity in general.  There is INDEED a major difference in the annoyance most in the west face at proselytizing and the real peril of the treatment of Christians in the M.E.  It is a reflection of the demographic of population in which the Christians are living I think.  If Christians were set on living in certain neighborhoods in the Detroit area they might face similar persecution.  Just an example....

  Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#45    Coffey

Coffey

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 5,671 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Norwich UK

  • "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postmeryt-tetisheri, on 07 April 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

For various reasons I did not want to participate in this thread, despite your post! However, last Friday 5 people were shot dead, 2 churches as well as one home were burnt, and there is talk about forced evacuation of a Christian community in Khusus, Egypt.  As I’m writing now the main cathedral in Cairo is being attacked and so far, one person was fatally shot. Riot police are firing tear gas at mourners in the cathedral!

Generally, one differentiates between the ‘annoying’, the ‘morally wrong’, the ‘unjust’, and the downright criminal. People forcing their beliefs on you is annoying, but you can always tell the enterprising preachers off, hang up on them, or even slam your door in their face! However, snipers shooting innocent people in the head, attacks on churches, homes, and kindergartens fall under the ‘criminal’ category.  These victims and the ME Christians in general, have had no hand in ‘annoying’ you, their lives and suffering should warrant a little more than a shrug motivated by some pesky preachers on another continent.

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-mourners-mob-police-clash-egypt-154013162.html

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/update-one-reported-dead-abbasseya-cathedral


See all that horrible stuff in Africa, with crazy terrorist groups taking kids, raping woman and brutal disfigurement of private parts etc. Well that is the name of Christianity.

When people take any religion and abuse it it's worng, nothing to do with the actual religions.

Edited by Coffey, 07 April 2013 - 08:54 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users