Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaids: The Body Found

Keel M.

Did anyone catch this last night? I had no real plans to sit down and watch it, but I did catch a bit of the closing as I was preparing for bed last night. As soon as it was over around 10, it started to come on again so I left the television on and half paid attention to the story. It seemed like so many other kinds of "documentaries" that are swimming around these days. The experts on there may or may not be true experts; I meant to jot down the names to look them up today, but I didn't. There were at least two never-before-released videos: one containing alleged footage of a mermaid body washed ashore while the other was supposedly filmed at some military coastal installation site on the east coast and the view is of a tiny portal. I didn't get to see what was suspensefully revealed because I went to brush my teeth. :P Anyway, did anyone see it? What's your opinion?

• Like 1

It's a mocumentary. All the scientists were actors and the footage was CGI. But the show was pretty much exploring the "Aquatic Ape" theory and if it's possible for humans to have evolved in such a way.

Thanks Zalanox! And welcome to UM.

• Like 1

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up? I agree with a lot of what you are saying as far as people believing everything they hear before trying to verify its credibility, for sure! But while everyone is making a joke about the 'mermaid" or "aquatic ape theory" story and whether its tru or not, governments around the world are killing off animals through testing. People, why isn't the issue of whales and dolphins beaching themselves to death all around the world on any given day, not getting ANY attention? Wake up folks, lets think about trying to help stop these types of mass beachings from happening in our world. Lets also start to look into the recent reports (http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-blackbirds-fall-sky-beebe-arkansas-years-eve/story?id=15269793 which is a CREDIBLE report I might add) of birds just falling from the sky and then discovering that their insides are liquefied in many cases, and all dying of blunt trauma? For those of you who think it was the fireworks, that's a joke. I've been to hundreds of fireworks displays and I've never seen that happen before. If you visit the ABC news link and see this for yourself, wait for the second report that plays afterwards, its not just the one video report of the New Years Eve incident, but several others as well. Unfortunately, there are small 30 second ads in between unfortunately, (but I guess bills have to be paid somehow, right?)This is happening frequently now and in many different states around the United States. I think they are testing these weopons on animals to make sure that they work, pure and simple. It must be some hell of a wepon to be able to kill like it does, AND they have the same type of weapon for the ocean too. Something IS going on folks, and personally, I believe that it is some type of new age weapons testing. Thats what I think this is all about, pure and simple. No government is going to be stupid enough to admit any weapon development, or usage, thats not going to happen, for obvious reasons. (you dont invent a kickass weapon, and then let your enemy know you have it) The U.S. still has enemies today, probably more now than we've ever had in the past, there is more to that program than people know, and I think many people missed the most important point of the program.

• Like 4

Our government is pretty good at covering things up. But I don't think that they would want to broadcast that they had created a new weapon if it was still in it experimental stages, even if their intentions were to eventually release the information of its existance to the public.

Edited by Zirna

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up? I agree with a lot of what you are saying as far as people believing everything they hear before trying to verify its credibility, for sure! But while everyone is making a joke about the 'mermaid" or "aquatic ape theory" story and whether its tru or not, governments around the world are killing off animals through testing. People, why isn't the issue of whales and dolphins beaching themselves to death all around the world on any given day, not getting ANY attention? Wake up folks, lets think about trying to help stop these types of mass beachings from happening in our world. Lets also start to look into the recent reports (http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=15269793 which is a CREDIBLE report I might add) of birds just falling from the sky and then discovering that their insides are liquefied in many cases, and all dying of blunt trauma? For those of you who think it was the fireworks, that's a joke. I've been to hundreds of fireworks displays and I've never seen that happen before. If you visit the ABC news link and see this for yourself, wait for the second report that plays afterwards, its not just the one video report of the New Years Eve incident, but several others as well. Unfortunately, there are small 30 second ads in between unfortunately, (but I guess bills have to be paid somehow, right?)This is happening frequently now and in many different states around the United States. I think they are testing these weopons on animals to make sure that they work, pure and simple. It must be some hell of a wepon to be able to kill like it does, AND they have the same type of weapon for the ocean too. Something IS going on folks, and personally, I believe that it is some type of new age weapons testing. Thats what I think this is all about, pure and simple. No government is going to be stupid enough to admit any weapon development, or usage, thats not going to happen, for obvious reasons. (you dont invent a kickass weapon, and then let your enemy know you have it) The U.S. still has enemies today, probably more now than we've ever had in the past, there is more to that program than people know, and I think many people missed the most important point of the program.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1816585/

I'm sorry, but they're all actors. Those websites are clearly promotional pieces for the show.

• Like 2

i watched it and thought, "why not?". i figured they were all actors though. it wasnt hard to figure that out. i suppose given millions of years, anything could happen. i think it would be cool to have real mermaids, or aquatic apes, but i think we should leave them alone.

• Like 1

Alien Embryo - I'm wondering if you work for the marketing department of the Discovery Channel? Your referenced websites for Paul Robertson are NOT blocked or seized by the US governement. If you perform a lookup for the website, you will see that the Discovery channel owns the domain names and the server that is hosting the page showing the DOJ has siezed the site is a Co-Hosting company out of St. Louis. The Animal Planet story is just that...a story for people that want to believe in fairy tales. It's a Mocumentary with no real credible evidence, but a good fictional plot line. The Discovery Channel and Animal Planet only care about ratings and will put anything on the air to keep making money. Their stations used to be based on science...now they are all about the money.

As for the Navy weapons, I'm certain they are being developed and have many weapons that we will only learn about in the future after they are released by a future president. It is a shame that the Discovery Networks are using propaganda and fairy tales to try and drive public support against the Navy Weapons testing. There are many more credible methods to do this and inventing fairy tales is not one of them.

I actually made a thread about this show when it first came out. I was flicking through the channels when i came across the "mocumentary" but nowhere did it point out that it was a fictional documentary. I thought discovery channel had finally lost their minds.

• Like 1

These days, television programming will do anything to get you to watch. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up?

Research should be your best friend. Both domains are owned by the discovery channel. Both domains were created on October 13, 2011. Both images are stored locally to each web site and each is named mermaids_web. Hardly the location or name of an image homeland security would use.

• Like 2

I get the impression that there are at least 2 less people participating in this thread than it appears.

As to the mermaid show, put Jeremy Wade on it. He'll get to the bottom of it.

• Like 5

^^ LOL Jeremy Wade indeed!

• Like 1

I just watched the whole show on Youtube. Actually I watched stretches of it, so it only took like 20 minutes.

It is not hard to find.

• Like 1

It was kinda fun to watch, but at no point did I mistake this for a 'real' documentary.

I watched it with the same frame of mind I have when watching ANCIENT ALIENS.

• Like 2

What I don't understand about the hypothesis concerning 'mermaids' is, if there has been enough time involved in their evolution to re-acquire 'fishy' (or aquatic mammalian) bodies and hind flippers, then why did they keep the evolutionarily redundant terrestrial features such as noses, lips, arms, etc.

In fact, why do they not simply look just as other fish, or aquatic mammals, look?

• 2 months later...

I watched it last night thought it was pretty good, they have voice recordings of it, they believe it can communicate with Dolphins and follow Dolphin pods. Then there is all the reports of broken off crude spears found in fish, sharks etc... which would mean they are intelligent enough to fashion and use weapons to hunt and defend themselves with.

The mangled body when shown what it looked like via CGI closely resembled images of mermaids or Mermen found through out history lending more credence to them existing.

As for me I am still a skeptic, however I do find the the possibility intriguing.

• Like 1

Is this the documentary/mocumentary that lead to the the 'Mermaids do not exist' statement from the American National Ocean Service?

http://www.heraldsun...0-1226416769761

http://www.unexplain...maids dont&st=0

Edited by Junior Chubb

Guest Xetan

What I don't understand about the hypothesis concerning 'mermaids' is, if there has been enough time involved in their evolution to re-acquire 'fishy' (or aquatic mammalian) bodies and hind flippers, then why did they keep the evolutionarily redundant terrestrial features such as noses, lips, arms, etc.

In fact, why do they not simply look just as other fish, or aquatic mammals, look?

The best explanation I can think of for this would be thumbs. If they were terrestrial primates before aquatic ones, they had thumbs, and nature decided "Those thumbs are damn well important enough to this beastie to stay." Of course, thumbs on their own are kind of useless, you need a proper arm. Kept them too, to appease the thumb. At that point a similar upper anatomy to all other apes isn't to difficult.

But that's all neither here or there. Just fun stuff to think about.

This is not a mocumentary, if you will look at dr. Robertson website, you will find that is has been seized by DOJ and Homeland security. This would not happen for a mocumentary.

This is not a mocumentary, if you will look at dr. Robertson website, you will find that is has been seized by DOJ and Homeland security. This would not happen for a mocumentary.

What that heck!!! Is that some sort of joke? I have never seen anything like that before....anyone know what is up with that?

Seems to be kept hush hush until now.

People are always so quick to discount this kind of stuff. The very first scientist to speak on the show is Dr. Paul Robertson. Paul was a scientist for NOAA, but left the agency back in 2005. If this isnt real then why did the U.S government do this to his personal website? http://drpaulrobertson.com Take a look at this site as well, http://believeinmermaids.com This site was put together by Paul and one of the other scientists who spoke on the program. Why are they being covered up? I agree with a lot of what you are saying as far as people believing everything they hear before trying to verify its credibility, for sure! But while everyone is making a joke about the 'mermaid" or "aquatic ape theory" story and whether its tru or not, governments around the world are killing off animals through testing. People, why isn't the issue of whales and dolphins beaching themselves to death all around the world on any given day, not getting ANY attention? Wake up folks, lets think about trying to help stop these types of mass beachings from happening in our world. Lets also start to look into the recent reports (http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=15269793 which is a CREDIBLE report I might add) of birds just falling from the sky and then discovering that their insides are liquefied in many cases, and all dying of blunt trauma? For those of you who think it was the fireworks, that's a joke. I've been to hundreds of fireworks displays and I've never seen that happen before. If you visit the ABC news link and see this for yourself, wait for the second report that plays afterwards, its not just the one video report of the New Years Eve incident, but several others as well. Unfortunately, there are small 30 second ads in between unfortunately, (but I guess bills have to be paid somehow, right?)This is happening frequently now and in many different states around the United States. I think they are testing these weopons on animals to make sure that they work, pure and simple. It must be some hell of a wepon to be able to kill like it does, AND they have the same type of weapon for the ocean too. Something IS going on folks, and personally, I believe that it is some type of new age weapons testing. Thats what I think this is all about, pure and simple. No government is going to be stupid enough to admit any weapon development, or usage, thats not going to happen, for obvious reasons. (you dont invent a kickass weapon, and then let your enemy know you have it) The U.S. still has enemies today, probably more now than we've ever had in the past, there is more to that program than people know, and I think many people missed the most important point of the program.

Something going on?

Well, if that is the case it has been going on for some considerable time now. Birds have been documented as falling out of the sky for centuries, just as whales have beached themselves for whatever reason throughout history. One day we may find the answer to these things but it wont be weapons testing that;s for sure! :)

It's all just a cover up for the navy's secret plan to kill us all with sea monsters. lol Sorry a little humor there. I just find this shows ape evolution theory so hard to swallow.

Wait a minute, did I approach this thread with the wrong attitude, Is this really being taken seriously?

Did I misread the thread title, it did say 'Mermaids: The body found' didn't it?

• Like 1