Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What were your favourtie 80's horror movies?

George Ford

Just watching Trick or Treat (1986) and going to watch The Blob (1988 remake) a bit later and I wondered what you enjoyed.

Going only from memories of what 'horror' films scared me or really entertained me when I was a kid I would pick these:-

1) Fight Night

2) Creep Show (The one with the crate monster at the airport)

3) The Blob

4) Dont be Afraid of the Dark

5) Trick or Treat.

Although I'll probably change this list as I remember other films.

Here is a list of the ones i can remember...Not sure what year these were all made..

1)Jaws

2)The Shining

3)Alien

4)Creep Show

5)The Changeling

6)Halloween

7)Friday The 13th

8)Poltergeist

Even though it wasn't really scary, I loved The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 2. That Chop Top character was crazy.

I'm not much for horror flicks, and I'm not even sure this is one... but I liked Jacobs Ladder with Tim Robbins. Angel Heart would be right up there too with Mickey Roark, Lisa Bonet, and Robert DeNiro. Scary. :D

Is it cheating to post them even if you weren't alive in the 80's? :P I can't really be nostalgic about them but I enjoy and appreciate a lot.

Poltergeist

Evil Dead 1 and 2

Nightmare on Elm Street

An American Werewolf in London

The Thing

The Howling

• Like 1

Is it cheating to post them even if you weren't alive in the 80's? :P I can't really be nostalgic about them but I enjoy and appreciate a lot.

Poltergeist

Evil Dead 1 and 2

Nightmare on Elm Street

An American Werewolf in London

The Thing

The Howling

Not cheating at all! Glad people still enjoy older films when special effects were actually 'special' and not just often lifeless CGI!!

Dunno how I left The Thing and the Evil Dead films from my list!!!

Also, I just remembered Hellraiser!

Return of the Living Dead

Aliens

Evil Dead

Poltergeist

The Shining

Twilight Zone

Night of the Demons

Nightmare on elm street

there's more I just can't think right now.

Not cheating at all! Glad people still enjoy older films when special effects were actually 'special' and not just often lifeless CGI!!

Yeah, I'll defend good make-up jobs and puppetry over CGI til the day I die. In my opinion the special effects in American Werewolf in London were some of the best of all time and stand up fantastically even today.

Yeah, I'll defend good make-up jobs and puppetry over CGI til the day I die. In my opinion the special effects in American Werewolf in London were some of the best of all time and stand up fantastically even today.

I'll high five you there! Was a great film and the first transformation was jaw dropping!

Also The Thing was outstanding! Everyone that has seen it will remember the 'head spider' thing!

And Labyrinth is one that I watch once a year, cant wait for my niece to be old enough to sit and watch it through, would love to see her react to the Goblin City!

Labyrinth is one that I watch once a year, cant wait for my niece to be old enough to sit and watch it through, would love to see her react to the Goblin City!

My kids love that movie. We watch it all the time. The "The Goblin King, Goblin King, wherever you may be" part really bothered her. My husband used to do it to her baby brother and and she would flip! Poor baby.

I love explaining to her how they made the movie. ;)

Edited by Feenix Fire

I'll high five you there! Was a great film and the first transformation was jaw dropping!

Also The Thing was outstanding! Everyone that has seen it will remember the 'head spider' thing!

And Labyrinth is one that I watch once a year, cant wait for my niece to be old enough to sit and watch it through, would love to see her react to the Goblin City!

Yep, the head spider thing scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Haha, I plan on doing the same with my niece and nephews. :tu:

ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Cruel Passion ('77, uncut only)

Exorcist - The Version You've Never Seen

Eye of the Devil

Hellraiser

Premonition, The

Jaw's

Poltergeist 2

Pet Cemetery 2

Legend

The Gate

Just watched the Blob and it was way better then I remember! Effects ware brilliant and it looks pretty high budget. Going to make my brothers watch it.

The Fog (original of COURSE!)

"Ahoy, mateys. This is KAB, Antonio Bay." Classic! I watch it every time I feel nostalgic about California.

• Cannibal Holocaust
  • Evil Dead II
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Hellraiser
  • The Entity

Here is a list of the ones i can remember...Not sure what year these were all made..

1)Jaws

2)The Shining

3)Alien

4)Creep Show

5)The Changeling

6)Halloween

7)Friday The 13th

8)Poltergeist

I pretty sure Jaws was the 70's; just a heads up. :blush:

The Thing. Enough has been spoken.

Edited by Jack_of_Blades

Two movies jump out (no pun intended):

* The Thing - the spider thing has been mentioned, but the whole film has some great sections (anyone else remember the CPR/defibrillator dude when the stomach opened up?). Not to mention the great conversation between the queen alien and Kurt Russell right at the end :devil:

* Aliens (that's part 2 of the franchise if anyone is keeping count). Best sequel EVER (with the possible exception of Terminator 2, Empire Strikes Back, and The Dark Knight).

Edited by Paranoid Android

I unfortunately didn't live through the 80's, but I love a lot of the films from that decade. Some that I list are a little cheesy and some may have not been hits..but that's what makes them so great in my opinion. :lol:

- Evil Dead 1&2

- Fright Night

- Gremlins (Gizmo :wub:)

- Beetlejuice (comedy horror)

- The Changeling

- Friday the 13th

- Pet Semetary

- Cujo

- The Thing

- The Lost Boys

- Re-Animator

- Hell Raiser

- The Blob (hilarious)

- A Nightmare on Elm Street

- The Burning

- They Live

- Poltergeist

- Critters

- The Fog

- An American Werewolf in London

- The Shining

- The Howling

- Night of the Comet

- The Return of the Living Dead

- Creepshow 1&2

- The Entity

I know there are others that have escaped my mind at the moment. I watch entirely too many films :wacko:

Edited by Time Turner

Beetlejuice! I always forget that was made in the 80's.

I almost forgot too! Beetlejuice is awesome and will always be a favorite ^_^ I remember being so creeped out by this scene when I was little:

beetlejuice2.jpg

Wow so many movies that I forgot!

I think it's time for a movie marathon! :w00t:

I almost forgot too! Beetlejuice is awesome and will always be a favorite ^_^ I remember being so creeped out by this scene when I was little:

beetlejuice2.jpg

Me too, I also didn't like the shrunken head dude when I was young. But for some reason Beetlejuice himself didn't bother me, I used to say it 3 times to see if he'd show up. :P

I unfortunately didn't live through the 80's, but I love a lot of the films from that decade. Some that I list are a little cheesy and some may have not been hits..but that's what makes them so great in my opinion. :lol:

- Evil Dead 1&2

- Fright Night

- Gremlins (Gizmo :wub:)

- Beetlejuice (comedy horror)

- The Changeling

- Friday the 13th

- Pet Semetary

- Cujo

- The Thing

- The Lost Boys

- Re-Animator

- Hell Raiser

- The Blob (hilarious)

- A Nightmare on Elm Street

- The Burning

- They Live

- Poltergeist

- Critters

- The Fog

- An American Werewolf in London

- The Shining

- The Howling

- Night of the Comet

- The Return of the Living Dead

- Creepshow 1&2

- The Entity

I know there are others that have escaped my mind at the moment. I watch entirely too many films :wacko:

At least you're consistent with the topic, my list was all over the timeline, but I was aware of that. The Changeling is still spooky, but I haven't watched it lately because I know the story too well. The Entity is only available on PAL. The DVD copy I bought from Amazon is excellent. :)