Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist jailed for posting on Facebook -

atheist facebook jailed indonesia

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#46    whatsthat

whatsthat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 June 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

I disagree. Religion has done a lot of good for humanity (Red Cross/Crescent, Salvation Army, Mother Theresa, etc.) The problem lies where and when religion becomes tied to the government.

Remove Mother Theresa. She's a gimmick. She had some strange views on human sufferring.

She might have been used by the catholic church though. Mind thats an organisation which covered up systematic rape of innocent children.

And told Africans condoms don't work. In a continent ravaged by aids thats tantamount to genocide.

#47    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

View Postunit, on 31 May 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

doug, you're so close to the mark back there it isn't funny.. or maybe it is ;)

i agree with what you said about 'controlling them in the afterlife' (paraphrased) but how a "godless" (ie: meaningless) view of the world brings you (and any so called athiest) any understanding is beyond me....???? i'd be so happy if you were to reply 100 pages of info for me on that, really..

..if there is no God.. no afterlife..(NO MEANING) why do you even bother to try to make the world a better place? why aren't you robbing banks and sexually terrorising geriatrics right this minute?

I have donated to the poor, gave food to the hungry, sheltered the homeless, brighten an child's day, lend an hand to those in hard times, tipped more than average for a college student, sacrificed my social life to take of my mother, live without money so others may, work for free when others can't pay, and constantly take my time to help others understand. And I do this all without god or religion in my life, because I strive for a better world for my family and others. I don't strive to be rewarded in the afterlife, because then I will truly become an morally poor individual by sacrificing others for the sake of myself. Never have I been so happy in my life than when I was under an non-existent god, because in my ignorance I feared for my afterlife and was selfish in my reasons in life.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 13 June 2012 - 05:58 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#48    Viral

Viral

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• Nothing is true
    Everything is permitted

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 May 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

".......his case has led to calls for his execution by hardline Islamists"

Would that be the same Islam that calls itself the 'Religion of Peace' and whose Holy Book forbids the taking of life?
So does that mean every act the KKK does is representative of Protestant Christianity? Or rather just Christians themselves.

Posted Image

#49    MidKn13ght

MidKn13ght

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

• The world is MINE!!!!

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Well this is just garbage!!!! I feel for the man!!!

As far as the comment about crime etc. steadily on the decline, i dont think thats truly accurate. Is the population explosion included? Our population world wide is growing at a fast rate. So is the crime and what not actually going down or is the crime per person ratio showing a slight decline because of the growth??? Just a thought.....

#50    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 03 June 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Anyone who spoke as you do has the same mentality as the worst of those who style themselves religious.

You need to get over yourself, get an anal probe and let loose.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#51    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 13 June 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

I have donated to the poor, gave food to the hungry, sheltered the homeless, brighten an child's day, lend an hand to those in hard times, tipped more than average for a college student, sacrificed my social life to take of my mother, live without money so others may, work for free when others can't pay, and constantly take my time to help others understand. And I do this all without god or religion in my life, because I strive for a better world for my family and others. I don't strive to be rewarded in the afterlife, because then I will truly become an morally poor individual by sacrificing others for the sake of myself. Never have I been so happy in my life than when I was under an non-existent god, because in my ignorance I feared for my afterlife and was selfish in my reasons in life.

Geez, another do gooder atheist making sure others know how superior and unselfish they are.....I know theist and they don't fit you simplistic sterotype.

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#52    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

View Postwhatsthat, on 10 June 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

Remove Mother Theresa. She's a gimmick. She had some strange views on human sufferring.

She might have been used by the catholic church though. Mind thats an organisation which covered up systematic rape of innocent children.

And told Africans condoms don't work. In a continent ravaged by aids thats tantamount to genocide.

Mother Theresa helped thousands die with dignity, she was not perfect, but you are anther example of simple minded atheist.  Also Child molesters are everythwhere, well maybe you don't know that, would not be surprised.  I doubt she was a gimmick....what are you doing to help others?

doug

Edited by dougeaton, 11 August 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#53    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 03 June 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

You phrase the question as though religious beliefs confer with it morality. Yet I don't need to list examples showing this is not so because they are so common.

I have plenty of meaning in life. There's the somewhat basic interactions I have here, with people who's intelligence and comments I respect. There's my nieces who look to me as a substitue father, there's my friends and family. There's my job.
There's the work I do with various atheist and skeptical groups (though here admittedly at a very basic level).

I find much more meaning in private and close conversations with friends, canoeing down a freshwater spring, donating my time to cleaning said spring, helping build housing for my less fortunate humans, or simply making sure my nieces have a great time with their uncle (even if at times they have to be subject to lectures concerning what little I know of science and history), I take much greater and deeper meaning from these and so much else in my life than any in my mind paltry concept of God or afterlife.

I know fellow atheists who state they abide by the law due to simple restraints of freedoms that would be put upon them should they break the laws. For myself, I am something of a coward. I would not be able to bear the disappointment of those I respect and love. Further, I feel I would present a poor example for those who foolishly look up to me.
Lastly, I find no desire in myself to do any great evil such as you've described. I think most are, regardless of their faith or lack there of, providing their culture is one similar to ours.

Now, to me the only way I can understand why you would feel such a question is relevant and to be taken seriously, is that either your own morality is so compromised by religious scriptures in place of morality, or your are a sociopath.
If the former, then I would encourage you to seek for yourself to determine what is and what is not moral. Seek justification and seek further answers, as there none who are perfect and your conclusions on morality could be well based on faulty premises.

If the latter, and your religious beliefs are truly all that is holding yourself in check from your above recommendations... I plead you to hold to your faith and ignore whatever arguments against it that come your way. Just don't hold your faith over another's.

I think our morality is a left over from when the christian faith was central.  Wait another generation, things are already getting worse in the USA and the break down will continue.  After all, your just a monkey with a bigger brain, why should anyone listen to you?

doug

#54    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

View PostShosanna Dreyfus, on 08 May 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

Oui and the same one that has followers get up in arms and want to see a middle aged school teacher flogged (and probably beheaded) because of the name a class of children gave to a teddy bear!  I have nothing against people having their own quiet beliefs but religious extremists ruin it for everyone with behaviour that shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

Here's the thing. Islam is NOT a religion of peace. People say "Oh, it's just the extremists." However, I know first hand it's not. Islam and Muslim beliefs promote violence and destruction of any whom do not believe in their God and follow their rules to a "T" if you will. Every other religion does have extremist groups and those groups should be dealt with in the harsh and extreme measure they promote. Adversely, the other religions do NOT teach violence, destruction, and murder.

When it comes to Islam, at it's core, is violence and destruction and those whom fight to defend it saying otherwise are fools and uneducated. I have, however, met Islamic's that are moderate in their belief system. The problem is, if they were to be called to arms or to take action against any/all other religions/people, they WOULD do it. If not for their religion, for fear of what their fellow islamist believers would do to them.

#55    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

The Islamic Society Forum, a coalition of Islamist groups, stated that the potential five-year sentence was not enough, and that Alexander should be executed. The organization's secretary-general stated, "What he has done cannot be tolerated... it is important to prevent this group from spreading atheism in this country."

Such a peaceful ****** people. I hope radicals would just keep their big mouths shut.

This is complete injustice and, dare I say, oppression.

Posted Image

#56    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 09 June 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

I disagree. Religion has done a lot of good for humanity (Red Cross/Crescent, Salvation Army, Mother Theresa, etc.) The problem lies where and when religion becomes tied to the government.

Religion is what kept the Dark Ages cooking for over five hundred years.

Posted Image

#57    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,958 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostTaylorReints, on 12 August 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Religion is what kept the Dark Ages cooking for over five hundred years.
Which is to say that things would now be much better without religion?  Perhaps.  But the problem is that when this restriction reaches the point of making people unable to even discuss openly their faith in God then THAT would be just as bad as a religion.  And I see the world getting worse all the time so I don't think religion is all to blame.  Especially since religions (especially in the west) have become MUCH less popular in recent decades.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#58    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

View Postand then, on 12 August 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

Which is to say that things would now be much better without religion?  Perhaps.  But the problem is that when this restriction reaches the point of making people unable to even discuss openly their faith in God then THAT would be just as bad as a religion.  And I see the world getting worse all the time so I don't think religion is all to blame.  Especially since religions (especially in the west) have become MUCH less popular in recent decades.

Well yeah, there's greed and money, power AND religion. So it does contribute.

Edited by TaylorReints, 12 August 2012 - 02:36 AM.

Posted Image

#59    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

View PostDKO, on 08 May 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Alexander Aan, an Indonesian civil servant who is currently in custody and facing an 11-year prison sentence for expressing his atheism on Facebook.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/2012/05/indonesian-atheist-faces-long-jail.html

Like when the Muslims bombed Bali? Twice.

Damn retards.

#60    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

That hardly makes any sense whatsoever. What about the individuals who carried out the 9/11 attacks? They had plenty of religion in their lives, according to the recordings, yet they killed a substantial amount of people.

:tu:

I am sure that religion brings order.

Also tagged with atheist, facebook, jailed, indonesia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users