Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

The science behind vampires & monsters

vampires monsters dracula

  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Tommy13

Tommy13

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Joined:18 Oct 2012

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I would imagine it originated from the real deal.


#17    araxia

araxia

    Apparition

  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Joined:24 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Blood and disease... Yup, sounds like darkness to me!


#18    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,056 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View Postaraxia, on 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Blood and disease... Yup, sounds like darkness to me!



#19    DarkwingsDescending

DarkwingsDescending

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Joined:24 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:United States of America

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:17 AM

Vampires have been "around" since the biblical times. Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire. There have been legends through-out Greece and Egypt as well. Then when the Middle Ages came, any advanced ideas that were present in the Ancient Civilizations were lost. So, instead of using logical thinking and keeping the vampires for the stories, people from the Middle Ages to about the 19th century have argued about Vampires existence. As others have mentioned, it was to strike fear and make others behave, but it was also to explain the unexplained. Recent days, Dracula was still romanticized! Forever Knight, one of the first Vampire TV shows as well as shows like the "Munsters" showed vampires as sexy, funny, or sensitive creatures. It's gone from the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, to the Anita Blake Series to now Twilight and Vampire Diaries. A shame really.


#20    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,872 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostDarkwingsDescending, on 24 November 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Vampires have been "around" since the biblical times. Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire. There have been legends through-out Greece and Egypt as well. Then when the Middle Ages came, any advanced ideas that were present in the Ancient Civilizations were lost. So, instead of using logical thinking and keeping the vampires for the stories, people from the Middle Ages to about the 19th century have argued about Vampires existence. As others have mentioned, it was to strike fear and make others behave, but it was also to explain the unexplained. Recent days, Dracula was still romanticized! Forever Knight, one of the first Vampire TV shows as well as shows like the "Munsters" showed vampires as sexy, funny, or sensitive creatures. It's gone from the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, to the Anita Blake Series to now Twilight and Vampire Diaries. A shame really.

Underlining, mine.

I don't know, Robert Pattinson creeps the heck out of me. And I've never even seen a "Twilight" movie or read the books. He's definitely not sexy.


#21    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,056 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The sixth circle

  • Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostDarkwingsDescending, on 24 November 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Some believe in a vampiric lady named Lilith who was punished by God to roam the Earth as a Vampire.
I thought she was just a whore?


#22    DarkwingsDescending

DarkwingsDescending

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Joined:24 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:United States of America

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 24 November 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

I thought she was just a whore?

No, I don't think she was. I know she was jealous of Eve though and was rather demonic, but she wasn't a whore. Then again, this is supposedly found in the Torah and in the bible.
Source 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith (Not always reliable, but a go to source.)
Source 2:  http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1513/whats-the-story-on-lilith-adams-first-wife
Apparently she eats babies and haunts men. Also, you may be thinking of Salome. She was considered a witch and whore. I'm no bible expert though.
http://answers.agblo...e-in-the-bible/


#23    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

There are some conditions in which a person will actually drink blood. What's to stop a person from sharpening a few teeth and biting a few necks? I believe they're out there.


#24    Overdueleaf

Overdueleaf

    Conspiracy Theorist

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined:20 May 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

View PostWolfman1993, on 14 December 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

There are some conditions in which a person will actually drink blood. What's to stop a person from sharpening a few teeth and biting a few necks? I believe they're out there.

these are not actual vampires from lore though... these type peoeple would be mentally disturbed individuals

Posted Image

Your memory IS foggy. It's the pancakes

#25    Wolfman 1993

Wolfman 1993

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 110 posts
  • Joined:14 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:29 AM

you make a very valid point


#26    Jeff Albertson

Jeff Albertson

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined:09 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Mojave Desert

  • We know almost how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of the number of animals living on our planet.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

Dracula is based off of a real person Vlad the impaler (Dracul "The Devil" ) http://www.vladtheimpaler.com As for vampires (outside my area of intrest in cryptozoology) there were based off people with toberculose and some concetion with the dead. After diggin up the dead there would be finger nail marks on the coffin leds(this is the reason for imboment) the other parts being expalined in this post with the stomach. Also the hair appeared to growalong with finger nails. This lead to staking of the heart to make sure the body (the dead) could not get up in the night. (if I rember right)

We know almost exactly how many stars exist in our milkway but we have no idea of how many species living on our plant.

#27    himalyanmystic

himalyanmystic

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:himalayas

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

No real evidence of vampires at all only its true of ppl in witch craft and stuff like that use a lot of blood and sacrifice.

[HIMALAYANMYSTIC

#28    Pegasus12

Pegasus12

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined:08 Jul 2013
  • Gender:Female

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

Quote

  I don't know, Robert Pattinson creeps the heck out of me. And I've never even seen a "Twilight" movie or read the books. He's definitely not sexy  


I didn't give Twilight a chance until my aunt came along. Now I'm a full on Twi-hard XD Give the movies a chance (haven't gotten around to the books yet.) I think Edward is okay, but have you seen Jacob? He's super hot!

Posted Image   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Edited by Pegasus12, 09 July 2013 - 02:49 AM.


#29    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

    SCIENCE!

  • Member
  • 10,358 posts
  • Joined:08 Nov 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Queensland, Australia.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostJeff Albertson, on 14 December 2012 - 05:34 AM, said:

Dracula is based off of a real person Vlad the impaler (Dracul "The Devil" ) http://www.vladtheimpaler.com As for vampires (outside my area of intrest in cryptozoology) there were based off people with toberculose and some concetion with the dead. After diggin up the dead there would be finger nail marks on the coffin leds(this is the reason for imboment) the other parts being expalined in this post with the stomach. Also the hair appeared to growalong with finger nails. This lead to staking of the heart to make sure the body (the dead) could not get up in the night. (if I rember right)
Dracul means dragon, not devil.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#30    Infinite Playlist

Infinite Playlist

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined:26 Oct 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The mythical land known as 'Ohio'.

  • "I came here to kick ass and chew gum... And I'm all outta gum."

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think Stephenie Meyer tried to use science to explain her Twilight vampires. But, um, Ms. Meyer... You can't stuff extra chromosomes into a person's body.

But yes. I believe vampires were created as a way of explaining the possible terrors of disease, the unknown, the the possibility that there might be actual monsters.

It's all in your face, I see you break...
It's like the sound of winter.
The bleeding love, the silent escape...
You've got to hang on to yourself...
It's like the sound of winter.





Also tagged with vampires, monsters, dracula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users