Photo

New Fossil Tells Of A Terrestrial Origin For Snakes

Posted by Supersquatch , in Science vs. Religion 31 July 2012 · 1,106 views

evolution
New Fossil Tells Of A Terrestrial Origin For Snakes <p>Snakes are a group of lizards most closely related to monitors (such as the Komodo dragon) and prehistoric mosasaurs. But their origins are difficult to trace due to a lack of fossil remains. In fact, paleontologists are not even sure if snakes were originally terrestrial or aquatic animals. One of the first snakes to evolve was a Cretaceous aniliid (the family of false coral snakes, also known as pipe snakes) called Coniophis precedens.

Posted Image

The skeletal remains of Coniophis precedens

C. precedens was known only, until recently, from an isolated vertebra, making it hard for paleontologists to study the actual taxon. However, a new paper in the journal Nature describes new material to this species, including a mandible, an upper jaw fragment and more vertebrae. It also seems that precedens lived in a continental floodplain environment, consistent with that of a terrestrial origin. Furthermore, its small size and reduced neural spines suggest that snakes may have evolved from burrowing lizards.

References
  • Longrich, N.R., Bhullar, B.S., Gauthier, J.A. (2012). "A transitional snake from the Late Cretaceous period of North America". Nature, in press. DOI: 10.1038/nature11227

I saw something about this last week. I'd always assumed that because they had legs, they came from land. The are impressive swimmers though, and can hold their breath for a long period of time. At least one of my boa's could. By the same token, I had another boa who would have surely died in the wild. I had to force feed him, and when it came time to shed, I put him in the sink to help him out. He had no clue how to swim, he flipped over and practically drowned. I take him to have been the exception to the rule....

Supersquatch
Jul 31 2012 10:05 PM

The Mule, on 31 July 2012 - 09:37 PM, said:

I saw something about this last week. I'd always assumed that because they had legs, they came from land. The are impressive swimmers though, and can hold their breath for a long period of time. At least one of my boa's could. By the same token, I had another boa who would have surely died in the wild. I had to force feed him, and when it came time to shed, I put him in the sink to help him out. He had no clue how to swim, he flipped over and practically drowned. I take him to have been the exception to the rule....

That's a big evolutionary flop. ;)
I guess the entire controversy about "Were the first snakes on land or in sea?" question is that, in 1869, E.D. Cope named a group called Pythonomorpha which consisted of mosasaurs and snakes. However, more recently, affinities between varanoids and snakes (and mosasaurs) have been established.

Get Updates for New Posts

Click the "Follow this blog" button on the homepage to receive updates whenever a new post is written on Supersquatch.

Search My Blog

Short Stories

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    adderiexola
    01 Jan 2014 - 17:17
  • Photo