Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Applicants wanted for one-way ticket to Mars.

mars settlers

  • Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#106    crystal sage

crystal sage

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,372 posts
  • Joined:14 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:27 AM

Just found this... http://mars-one.com/...-humans-on-mars

A new 'Reality Show ' in the making ???

Quote

Mars One starts its search for the first humans on Mars


NEW YORK, Monday, 22nd April 2013 - Mars One is happy to announce the launch of its astronaut selection program today. The search has begun for the first humans to set foot on Mars and make it their home.
Mars One invites would-be Mars settlers from anywhere in the world to submit an online application via apply.mars-one.com
This online application will be the first of the four rounds that together make the Mars One selection procedure. Round One will run for over five months and end on 31st August 2013. Applicants selected at the end of this round will include the first crew that will land on Mars in 2023. Mars One selection committees will hone the search for the first crew in three subsequent rounds and further training.“We are very excited about launching the selection program. Round One is where we open the doors to Mars for everyone on Earth. This is an international mission and it is very important for the project that anyone anywhere can ask themselves: Do I want this? Am I ready for this? If the answer is yes then we want to hear from you,” said Bas Lansdorp, co-founder of Mars One.
In the last year Mars One received 10,000 messages from prospective applicants from over 100 countries. Mars One expects an unprecedented number of applications and even more internet users visiting the application website to support their favorite candidates.
Applicants are given the choice of publicly sharing and promoting their application page. While Mars One experts will choose which candidates progress to Round 2, everyone will have the opportunity to know the aspiring settlers and give them their vote of confidence.
Applicants will pay a small administration fee that varies across nations according to their per capita GDP. The variable fee makes the program equally accessible for applicants from all nations and also reduces the number of insincere entries.
Mars One is looking for applicants who are both mature and interesting. Beyond Round Four,in the seven-year period preceding their flight to Mars,all the potential settlers will be given the skills they will need on Mars and on their journey there. No particular academic or professional background is considered a prerequisite for selection.
"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," said Norbert Kraft, Mars One's Chief Medical Director and former NASA senior researcher.
For this mission of permanent settlement we are more concerned with how well each astronaut lives and works with others and their ability to deal with a lifetime of challenges."



#107    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

    Space Cadet

  • 33,178 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bexleyheath, Kent, UK

  • We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

    Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

View Postcrystal sage, on 23 April 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

Just found this...
It can't have been a very thorough search otherwise you wouldn't have made an off topic post in a dead thread about the Indian Mars mission and instead would have found the large and active thread on the Mars One project which, when you made your post, was second from top in this very section.

I'm moving your post to the right topic, along with this post explaining my reason for doing so.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 23 April 2013 - 01:41 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#108    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 21,367 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 18 April 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

these are the people who will be weeded out at the first pass.
That is partly why I believe Americans are more aggressive then Europeans, who are more aggressive then earlier cultures... The people on the US west coast are some of the most aggressive people in the world. Those who colonize always have to be more aggressive.

View PostBavarian Raven, on 18 April 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

nevertheless, first colonies rarely ever succeed but its the human will to keep trying until they do.
They should probably name the first colony Roanoke....

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 18 April 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

3)what will they get to a least raise their chances to survive there in the first place?its sounds like suicide to me.
Since it is basically a Reality Show, perhaps the colonists will compete against each other and the winners get something, like better food, or communications back to Earth, or wine, or pot, or magazines... Things to make their life easier...

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#109    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined:27 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:lost in space without a paddle. ( or any PU-238)

  • I'm baaaaaack

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

I would rather be cremated on earth than buried or fried on some other ball of dried mud. at least here I would be with my family ( the song 'Dust in the wind' comes to mind as I type this.)

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 23 April 2013 - 06:29 AM.


#110    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Joined:01 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In another dimension..

  • Nanotech!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Y don they send animals there first?


#111    Hazzard

Hazzard

    Stellar Black Hole

  • Member
  • 11,760 posts
  • Joined:25 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Inside Voyager 1.

  • Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostTheGreatBeliever, on 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Y don they send animals there first?


Like,... a cow?

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#112    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 12,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostHazzard, on 23 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Like,... a cow?

haha  :tu: :clap:

But thinking about it, in a way they are sending animals, , most who want to exhibit themseles on Big Broither are usually pond life

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#113    Occams Razor

Occams Razor

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Perth Western Australia

  • Of two or more competing theories the simplest explanation is most likely to be the right one.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Er... hello... anyone home.

This is absolute codswallop. A scheme to collect investment money and disappear, it can't be anything else.

Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in a garden shed on Mars with a group of people who, by the very fact that they volunteered to do this, must have some serious mental health issues. How bad would your life have to be to volunteer to go on a one-way trip to Mars.

Even if you could re-cycle urine or produce water from ice you would have to generate breathable air, and a nutritious food supply. You could never leave the shed and go for a drive, you could never go to the beach, you could never go to the cinema, if the food supply dwindled groups would form with the idea of killing other groups and eating the remaining food and even the the people they've killed.

You would have to generate electrical power for lighting, you would have no TV or internet so you would get bored very quickly. The other crew members would get on your nerves very quickly, can you imagine a baby being born and screaming in the shed 24hrs a day, and, of course, there's always some sociopath that want's to be emperor, just look around any club you're a member of. I think with something like this the only people that would volunteer for it would have the sociopathic emperor mentality, people that can't make it in the real world, they would be killing each other in no time.

I think if this hair-brained scheme ever did get off the ground, and if it does I'll eat my car, there would be an awful lot of air-lock accidents.


#114    Norbert the Incredible

Norbert the Incredible

    They knew too much about flying saucers!

  • Member
  • 27,547 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Ministry of Love

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

So you don't believe in exploring strange new worlds, then, or would you be content to rely on second-hand pictures from robots, and remain tied to this planet for ever and never find out what's next door (since even robots or Rovers can never be a substitute for actually going somewhere and seeing it hands-on for yourself).

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


:cat:


#115    keithisco

keithisco

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,510 posts
  • Joined:06 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southampton, Blighty!

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostOccams Razor, on 25 April 2013 - 11:10 AM, said:

Er... hello... anyone home.

This is absolute codswallop. A scheme to collect investment money and disappear, it can't be anything else.

Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in a garden shed on Mars with a group of people who, by the very fact that they volunteered to do this, must have some serious mental health issues. How bad would your life have to be to volunteer to go on a one-way trip to Mars.

Even if you could re-cycle urine or produce water from ice you would have to generate breathable air, and a nutritious food supply. You could never leave the shed and go for a drive, you could never go to the beach, you could never go to the cinema, if the food supply dwindled groups would form with the idea of killing other groups and eating the remaining food and even the the people they've killed.

You would have to generate electrical power for lighting, you would have no TV or internet so you would get bored very quickly. The other crew members would get on your nerves very quickly, can you imagine a baby being born and screaming in the shed 24hrs a day, and, of course, there's always some sociopath that want's to be emperor, just look around any club you're a member of. I think with something like this the only people that would volunteer for it would have the sociopathic emperor mentality, people that can't make it in the real world, they would be killing each other in no time.

I think if this hair-brained scheme ever did get off the ground, and if it does I'll eat my car, there would be an awful lot of air-lock accidents.

There is nothing "hair - brained" about this scheme...it just takes a Leap of Imagination that is beyond the grasp of most folk. Think back to the Gemini and Apollo programmes: the Astronauts involved risked their lives every time they went into Space. They knew the dangers, they knew that what they were doing was inherently inimicable to life.... but they still went.

Were these Sociopaths, saddled with an "Emperor Syndrome"? Not one of them. They were explorers and adventurers to a man. If we were to apply your criteria to these heroes then we have to call them mentally challenged.

I dont think you linked to the website, had you done so then you would realise that they MUST leave their habitations in order to survive and build the first outpost. This is a programme beyond the understanding of a lot of people which informs the "Narrow" mindedness of such folk. Sure, life on Earth would be vastly more comfortable, do your job for 40+ yrs, retire to a Condo in Florida, and reflect on the fact that your contribution to Humankind Advancement had little or no significance.


#116    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 12,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 25 April 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

There is nothing "hair - brained" about this scheme...it just takes a Leap of Imagination that is beyond the grasp of most folk. Think back to the Gemini and Apollo programmes: the Astronauts involved risked their lives every time they went into Space. They knew the dangers, they knew that what they were doing was inherently inimicable to life.... but they still went.

Were these Sociopaths, saddled with an "Emperor Syndrome"? Not one of them. They were explorers and adventurers to a man. If we were to apply your criteria to these heroes then we have to call them mentally challenged.

I dont think you linked to the website, had you done so then you would realise that they MUST leave their habitations in order to survive and build the first outpost. This is a programme beyond the understanding of a lot of people which informs the "Narrow" mindedness of such folk. Sure, life on Earth would be vastly more comfortable, do your job for 40+ yrs, retire to a Condo in Florida, and reflect on the fact that your contribution to Humankind Advancement had little or no significance.

As you rightly say, the first men in space and on the moon knew the risks and took them, but at least they had the option to come home and were controlled by the smartest biggest space organization there is, NASA. My greatest reservation is this: Mars One the group behind this, are not NASA. They have no space experience at all and if you read carefully, they are not harping on about the first people to live on Mars....what keeps popping up is...'this will be the greatest media event ever'

Yes - their motivation is the ratings and the money it will bring in.  A totally different approcah to NASA's. Who cares who dies and how so long as the cash flows in, and it will of course.



.


.

Edited by seeder, 25 April 2013 - 02:06 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#117    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Joined:21 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Not disclosed

  • "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostTheGreatBeliever, on 23 April 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Y don they send animals there first?

They will if you would do abit of research... This is not a scam, at least it doesnt show any signs for now.. it has been in motion far longer that it was made public...

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

   SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

#118    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,308 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postseeder, on 25 April 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:



As you rightly say, the first men in space and on the moon knew the risks and took them, but at least they had the option to come home and were controlled by the smartest biggest space organization there is, NASA. My greatest reservation is this: Mars One the group behind this, are not NASA. They have no space experience at all and if you read carefully, they are not harping on about the first people to live on Mars....what keeps popping up is...'this will be the greatest media event ever'

Yes - their motivation is the ratings and the money it will bring in.  A totally different approcah to NASA's. Who cares who dies and how so long as the cash flows in, and it will of course.


;
.


.

You forget the pilgrams.  They had no place to return to.  They were kicked out of the netherlands and england.  They came to amrica to stay.

Those at james town could go home.  But, they disappeard without a trace, other than their buildings.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#119    seeder

seeder

    Nut Cracker

  • Member
  • 12,164 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK. There if you need me

  • Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

View Postdanielost, on 25 April 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

You forget the pilgrams.  They had no place to return to.  They were kicked out of the netherlands and england.  They came to amrica to stay.

Those at james town could go home.  But, they disappeard without a trace, other than their buildings.

so? at least they were on their home planet with food water, gravity, sunshine, AND OTHER PEOPLE ...  so whats your point exctly?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#120    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Joined:14 Sep 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Quote

so? at least they were on their home planet with food water, gravity, sunshine, AND OTHER PEOPLE ...  so whats your point exctly?

his point is that it was a one-way trip too. ;)






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users