Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

Isn't a "free" internet wonderful?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 04 March 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

We are all hooked on the internet; even those who don't use it.  Modern commerce and banking and all sorts of things now depend on it.  Can you imagine doing business without email?  So he has his point.  The trouble is that there is no scheme here to hook us and then reel us in.  The opposite in fact.  The more we use it the cheaper it gets, if for no reason other than economies of scale.

Your naivety about business and the tactics it uses would beggar belief, except that business only gets away with all its tricks because people are so naïve.  I wonder what age you are?  At the risk of repeating myself, there was a time when people knew that the business of business was to lie and cheat and steal from folks every day.  But of course, business has spent the last half-century doing a whitewash job on itself and anyone who is doing a whitewash job on themselves has a dirty face!

#32    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 03 March 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

It may be that he is using the word "free" to mean free of regulation and censorship rather than free of charge.  Compared to the broadcast and published media in a lot of countries, the internet is remarkably free that way, and has become just about the only way a lot of people get news they feel is not state manipulated.

Give me a break: the internet is a godsend to business and government --- it would not be so pervasive if it was not.  And if it’s a godsend to government and business, you can bet your bottom dollar, no more, you can KNOW, that it is the reverse of a godsend to ordinary people.  I think the key word in your last sentence is “feel”; yes, the powers that be will ensure that you “feel” that the news is not state manipulated, but the more you “feel” that it is not state manipulated, the more it is.

Is there any body on this forum who wasn’t born yesterday?!!

#33    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 05 March 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Since we're already paying, are you saying they're going to start charging us more (perhaps a service fee for accessing an email account)? Won't happen. The public outrage of paying to access after we're already paying to access will destroy any goodwill the company has.

Yes.  It has already happened with telephone charges as per the example in the original post.

As to public outrage, it is long since the public has been outraged by anything other than that which business and government want them to be outraged by.
(Congratu;ations, by the way.  You have actually read beyond the first sentence!)

#34    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostRender, on 05 March 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Or carry on wasting your life away thinking you're doing something useful by stating the obvious; because you simply cannot think on a higher level.

I think you are the first person on this thread to accuse pantodragon of stating the obvious; the rest of the commentors have been accusing pantodragon of talking nonsense.  It seems therefore that the other members of this forum are as little aware of "the obvious" as pantodragon, and therefore your comment is shooting them down as much as it is shooting down pantodragon.  I hope the other responders to the OP are not your friends!

PS You may have a little trouble with the logic here; don't despair, just think about it a little, it'll come to you in time.

#35    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostTimonthy, on 05 March 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

I want the product, I'm happy to pay for it.

You  think you want the product.  You think you are happy to pay for it. Basically you have succumbed to the advertising, and are unaware of just how excessive the charges really are.

#36    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 07 March 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

You  think you want the product.  You think you are happy to pay for it. Basically you have succumbed to the advertising, and are unaware of just how excessive the charges really are.
proof please, it's all good saying things but you need proof and also you speak where I can understand

#37    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,943 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:08 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 07 March 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Yes.  It has already happened with telephone charges as per the example in the original post.

As to public outrage, it is long since the public has been outraged by anything other than that which business and government want them to be outraged by.
(Congratu;ations, by the way.  You have actually read beyond the first sentence!)
Well if my email provider starts charging me a fee to access my email, I'm going to change providers.  If all email providers start charging a fee to access email thus denying me choice, I'll put my house up as collateral with the bank, take out a loan, and pay whatever I need to start my own email service provider that's free.  I know 95% of people will take it, and along with the people will come the sponsors.  I'll make my money back and be on the way to becoming a millionaire (as long as no one else has the same idea, which I'm sure there will be - there will ALWAYS be free email).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#38    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 07 March 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I think you are the first person on this thread to accuse pantodragon of stating the obvious; the rest of the commentors have been accusing pantodragon of talking nonsense.  It seems therefore that the other members of this forum are as little aware of "the obvious" as pantodragon, and therefore your comment is shooting them down as much as it is shooting down pantodragon.  I hope the other responders to the OP are not your friends!

PS You may have a little trouble with the logic here; don't despair, just think about it a little, it'll come to you in time.

Apparantly you don't even understand what most have said in this thread.

when ppl start sentences with "of course you have to pay " and stuff like that .. that means they are saying you're making obvious statements. Do you understand or are these words to difficult for you?
And very lame btw, that THIS is your reply. Only proves to me you have no ammo  , wit-wise.

Oh, and you talk about yourself in the third person...that's just the cherry on the pathetic cake. Seriously, you have a lot of issues to work on.

#39    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 07 March 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

proof please, it's all good saying things but you need proof and also you speak where I can understand

I can't provide you with proof.  It's up to you to look after yourself.  All I can do is raise awareness.  How do you provide proof of brainwashing to those who have been brainwashed?

#40    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 08 March 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

Well if my email provider starts charging me a fee to access my email, I'm going to change providers.  If all email providers start charging a fee to access email thus denying me choice, I'll put my house up as collateral with the bank, take out a loan, and pay whatever I need to start my own email service provider that's free.  I know 95% of people will take it, and along with the people will come the sponsors.  I'll make my money back and be on the way to becoming a millionaire (as long as no one else has the same idea, which I'm sure there will be - there will ALWAYS be free email).

If you think that the big players would let a small interloper come in and steal their customers from under their noses, you've got another think coming.  There are endless ways in which big players can undermine and destroy any competitor who dares to show their head out of the water.  All the big companies have policies designed to protect themselves from any such competition and specifically to get them while they are at their most vulnerable.

#41    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,262 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I can't provide you with proof.  It's up to you to look after yourself.  All I can do is raise awareness.  How do you provide proof of brainwashing to those who have been brainwashed?
you are trolling arnt you?

#42    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,943 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:53 AM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

If you think that the big players would let a small interloper come in and steal their customers from under their noses, you've got another think coming.  There are endless ways in which big players can undermine and destroy any competitor who dares to show their head out of the water.  All the big companies have policies designed to protect themselves from any such competition and specifically to get them while they are at their most vulnerable.
If I buy domain space on  the internet, it's my choice what I do with it.  Saru, for example, chose to put a fantastic website titled "unexplained-mysteries.com" up with his space.  If he wanted, he could have chosen to create an email provider instead.  Of course, with a saturation of companies already dedicated to that (yahoo, hotmail, google, being three of the biggest), Saru's hypothetical email company would likely get no revenue and thus bust.  However, if all email companies started charging fees, suddenly there's a market for free email.  In comes a free email company, everyone joins, and sponsors flock to where the market is.

And that's not even taking into consideration the email services provided by the company you work for (for example, my email is registered with the Department of education, thus has a det.nsw.edu.au domain).  All work-related email comes through that account.  They wouldn't dare charge for those, because no one would use them and we'd be back 20 years to the time when school announcements were made using snail-mail.

Sorry, I reject your hypothesis as nothing more than a conspiracy (and not a very good one, either).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#43    woopypooky

woopypooky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

we paid for internet either fibre optic or broadband.

As for how things like this forum are free, well...they get money from advertisers.

think about television, there many many free channels as well.

#44    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 15 March 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

you are trolling arnt you?

No.

#45    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 March 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Sorry, I reject your hypothesis as nothing more than a conspiracy (and not a very good one, either).

No, it's more than hypothesis, it's actually personal experience of the business world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users