Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UK to join the hunt for alien signals

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,148 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

British astronomers from 11 institutions have set up a new network to help search for signs of ET.

BBC News said:

British scientists are to make a concerted effort to look for alien life among the stars. Academics from 11 institutions have set up a network to co-ordinate their Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (Seti).

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Good for them!!. The more we have people seeking life out there, the better the chances of finding it.

#3    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

There maybe daily signals to Earth but perhaps we don't share the same technology,I knew a few people in my time who were able to receive these signals but only when they didn't take their medicine

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 32,082 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

I have to admit, it comes as no surprise to see Sir Martin Rees leading the charge. He seems to have a penchant for Sci Fi. I just hope as age takes hold he does not turn into a Paul Hellyer or something. Overall, great idea, the amateur contingent has always been greatly underestimated. Britain too has always been underestimated with regards to space travel. I think there is quite some potential here.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#5    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Postashven, on 08 July 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

There maybe daily signals to Earth but perhaps we don't share the same technology,I knew a few people in my time who were able to receive these signals but only when they didn't take their medicine

I think this is a spot on comment.  Lets suppose there is an alien race who can travel the universe and have mastered either warping or worm holing. Surely radio wave communication is no longer of any use to them?

My science isn't very good so please correct me if I am wrong.  

But are effectively looking for a civilisation that would be at the same technology level as us at the moment, obviously assuming there is better ways to communicate than radio waves.

Posted Image

#6    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,523 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Electromagnetic radiation (radio and so on) seems to be the way to go.  It has a few problems but is cheap.  "Warping" and "worm holing" are fantasy.  EMRs biggest problem is that signal strength falls off with the square of the distance so it don't get too far out there and the signal is damn weak.  Of course it is like everything else limited by the speed of light.

I don't expect much, but the consequences of my being wrong are so wonderful that it is more than worth it.

#7    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 July 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Electromagnetic radiation (radio and so on) seems to be the way to go.  It has a few problems but is cheap.  "Warping" and "worm holing" are fantasy.  EMRs biggest problem is that signal strength falls off with the square of the distance so it don't get too far out there and the signal is damn weak.  Of course it is like everything else limited by the speed of light.

I don't expect much, but the consequences of my being wrong are so wonderful that it is more than worth it.

Warping and wormholing may be called a fantasy for now, but as I have pointed out already, there are several Physists and others including Morgan Freeman of the great show "Through The Wormhole", and theoretical Physist Michio Kaku, that believe it may be possible at some point in our future.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,549 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:15 PM

View Postskookum, on 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

I think this is a spot on comment.  Lets suppose there is an alien race who can travel the universe and have mastered either warping or worm holing. Surely radio wave communication is no longer of any use to them?

But are effectively looking for a civilisation that would be at the same technology level as us at the moment, obviously assuming there is better ways to communicate than radio waves.

The problem will always be that of TIME...you know what they say, when you look at a twinkling star in the sky, you're actually looking BACK in time, so any signals received in the traditional method will be years, if not hundreds of years out of date.

For example, Proxima Centauri, which is the nearest star to us  is about 4 light-years away. So the light we see from it now left the star about 4 years ago. Something catastrophic could have happened to the star within those four years and we can't know about it yet.

If we did get a signal from REALLY far away, and if it hadn't been too degraded in its passage, which is most unlikely... chances are whoever sent it would probably be long dead...

and its the same for us sending signals elsewhere

Edited by seeder, 11 July 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,424 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostSpacenut56, on 11 July 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Warping and wormholing may be called a fantasy for now, but as I have pointed out already, there are several Physists and others including Morgan Freeman of the great show "Through The Wormhole", and theoretical Physist Michio Kaku, that believe it may be possible at some point in our future.

Morgan Freeman is merely the narrator of that show, he has no physics background. That said, while worm holes are a solution to the Theory of General Relativity, they have the issue of requiring a lot of energy and matter with negative mass. A rather unfortunate property as we have never seen that before - ever.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#10    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,424 posts

• Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please - Mark Twain

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postskookum, on 11 July 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

Radio is one of those universal things that I personally doubt that any civilization would dismiss. But that is really irrelevant, as radio waves is the only technology we really know how to look for right now, so we don't really have any other options.

Cheers,
Badeskov

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!! What a ride!". Said to to Dean Karnazes by a running buddy.

#11    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postbadeskov, on 11 July 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Radio is one of those universal things that I personally doubt that any civilization would dismiss. But that is really irrelevant, as radio waves is the only technology we really know how to look for right now, so we don't really have any other options.

Cheers,
Badeskov

Except my laser dots. :whistle:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#12    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 July 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

Except my laser dots. :whistle:

Light is also radio waves, albeit at a different frequency. And that is being looked for too, but has the problem that it cannot penetrate clouds.

Cheers,
Badeskov

#13    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

So we cant use anything except radio waves?

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#14    badeskov

badeskov

Forum Divinity

• 11,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 July 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

So we cant use anything except radio waves?

What do you suggest using?

Cheers,
Badeskov

#15    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,644 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Smoke signals will work just as well.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users