Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chrome experiment 100,000 Stars

ExpandMyMind

The universe is a big place. You just can’t fathom how mind-bendingly, staggeringly big it really is. But a cool new Chrome Experiment called 100,000 Stars might help you come to terms with it. As its name suggests, 100,000 Stars accurately charts the positions of 100,000 nearby stars in a killer 3D interactive view. It’s pretty and educational at the same time.

100,000 Stars comes from the Google Data Arts Team and makes use of WebGL, CSS3D, and Web Audio. This is designed to work with the Chrome browser. All the stars depicted in this web app are contained in the same small corner of the Milky Way Galaxy that we are. 100,000 stars might sound like a lot, but there are a few hundred billion of them in just our galaxy.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/chrome-experiment-100000-stars-puts-the-galaxy-in-your-browser-20121117/

Wow. This is just incredible. I have a feeling that I will be spending a lot of time on this site: http://workshop.chromeexperiments.com/stars/

I think this maybe should have been posted in the Astronomy section, but as it is actually a way for us - sitting at home on computers - to explore a part of the universe, I thought it suitable for the space exploration section.

Enjoy :D

• Like 2

Scrolling all the way out then all the way in is an awe inspiring trip with a cool ending.

• Like 2

Hmm, 'your graphics card does not support ...... etc etc ...... blah blah'. I'm not changing to Chrome because it just messes up everything else I want to do on my PC <_<:td:

• Like 1

I visited the webpage using Firefox...

• Like 2

Hmm, 'your graphics card does not support ...... etc etc ...... blah blah'.

It's saying your graphics card (hardware in your computer) can't handle what the page is tossing at it. Some graphic features used by programs(like advanced shading/lighting support) aren't available in some cards. It'll say "your graphics card does not support pixel shaders/alpha blending/etc.

I used to play a lot of games.

I used to play a lot of games.

But now you have a life?

:P just kidding!