Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Michael Shermer on strange beliefs

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,065 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Michael Shermer on strange beliefs
Posted Image
Click here to watch video - 14:12s

Skeptics Society founder Michael Shermer talks a bit about why people believe strange things.

#2    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I can't view he video here at work, but I enjoyed his book "Why People Believe Weird Things."
Does make me take a step back and think about how I view the world.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#3    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

Im skeptical.

#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 02:06 PM, said:

Im skeptical.

Eh... of what? I assure you, it's a video.

Edited by ShadowSot, 06 February 2011 - 02:38 PM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#5    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 06 February 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

Eh... of what? I assure you, it's a video.
About Michael Shermer and his Society. Its all "lets debunk this" and "we can explain that" but lets all ignore the fully documented, totally authenticated, multiple witnesses etc, etc, etc, side of things.

Edited by Evilution13, 06 February 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

About Michael Shermer and his Society. Its all "lets debunk this" and "we can explain that" but lets all ignore the fully documented, totally authenticated, multiple witnesses etc, etc, etc, side of things.

Like... what?

Listen to what he says, and why he doe sin order to understand why he has this viewpoint.

-Terry Pratchett

#7    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 06 February 2011 - 03:16 PM, said:

Like... what?

Listen to what he says, and why he doe sin order to understand why he has this viewpoint.
Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is.

#8    mandy1979

mandy1979

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is

Thats a pretty good statement :yes:

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 03:46 PM, said:

Yeah, I understand his viewpoint and I think he's right about a lot of cases out there. But the skeptics view is an extreme view in my opinion because it refuses to concede in the face of facts. They give the false impression that there is no genuine paranormal phenomena. But there is.

Ok... but which cases?

-Terry Pratchett

#10    user107026

user107026

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

yeah why do people believe in fish creating there own legs and arms,feet,hands etc.

Edited by user107026, 06 February 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#11    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 06 February 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Ok... but which cases?

There's just so many I don't know where to start. But no disrespect ShadowSot, I'm not really interested in converting anyone to my point of view. It doesn't matter to me what people believe on this subject. But if you're interested, read Uri Gellers autobiography. You might be surprised :)

#12    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

There's just so many I don't know where to start. But no disrespect ShadowSot, I'm not really interested in converting anyone to my point of view. It doesn't matter to me what people believe on this subject. But if you're interested, read Uri Gellers autobiography. You might be surprised :)

I've been studying the paranormal field for some time, and I've not seen any cases that leap out at me.

Uri Geller is a scam artist, and has been known as one for some time.
His spoon bending stunts are hilarious.

-Terry Pratchett

#13    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 06 February 2011 - 04:34 PM, said:

I've been studying the paranormal field for some time, and I've not seen any cases that leap out at me.

Uri Geller is a scam artist, and has been known as one for some time.
His spoon bending stunts are hilarious.
Okay, you've been reading too much James Randi and co but thats fine. Read Uri Gellers autobiography. I dare ya! :)

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

fully documented, perhaps. totally authenticated? i doubt it. multiple witnesses? well, that's not proof, it's just talk.

#15    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 06 February 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

uri geller??? really?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users