Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thermal invisibility cloak,1st demonstration

invisibility cloak heat thermal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,903 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Researchers have built and tested a form of invisibility cloak that can hide objects from heat.

Similar cloaking efforts are underway to make objects invisible to light and even sound waves, but this is the first device to work with heat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-22462853

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

Still a long way off from actually making a person invisible, good really, cos I can see an proper invisible cloak being used far more widely by the criminals, like guns and knives, they will all want one and any would be criminal will be up for this to, to start their career rolling.

Great technology, but the use? not sure of the benefits for the good of mankind.

I am not a criminal, but if I could have an invisible cloak, well, apart from a bit of mischief, I reckon I would be visiting my nearest Barclays. :whistle:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 12 May 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Great technology, but the use? not sure of the benefits for the good of mankind.

I rather doubt this technology will find any use in any sort of stealth application.

Thermal imaging works by detecting differences in the radiant heat emitted by an object. IF this technology could be perfected and made into clothing (and that is a big if, since the cloaking principle at work here depends largely on the geometry of the system), then presumably one could wear this and walk through a fire without getting burned (but not lie down in fire, since this technology requires a cold sink).

But the FBI would still be able to see you with there thermal imaging, because you are still emitting heat. The cloak won't stop that from being radiated.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 12 May 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

[/size]

I rather doubt this technology will find any use in any sort of stealth application.

Thermal imaging works by detecting differences in the radiant heat emitted by an object. IF this technology could be perfected and made into clothing (and that is a big if, since the cloaking principle at work here depends largely on the geometry of the system), then presumably one could wear this and walk through a fire without getting burned (but not lie down in fire, since this technology requires a cold sink).

But the FBI would still be able to see you with there thermal imaging, because you are still emitting heat. The cloak won't stop that from being radiated.
I was quite liking the walking through fire idea until i read the cold sink bit.
I like the idea of new technology but so far can not see the purpose of this.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

Also tagged with invisibility cloak, heat, thermal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users